Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with cottage rewire

Options
  • 11-08-2014 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I've bought a small cottage and have since gutted it, including electrics, etc.
    Back to bare walls/floors.

Builders are going to be placing 30mm insulated slabs on all interior/exterior walls.
    They asked that the electrician clip the cables to the walls and leave them hanging and they will put them behind the slabs and cut a channel in the insulation.

Is this safe to do? Do i need to chase all the walls beforehand?
    If I'm not chasing walls would I just need to use a conduit/pipe for the cables?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Assuming that there is a gap between the insulated board and the wall no conduit or chasing is required. If I were doing this I would install all boxes before the rooms are plasterboard is installed & all boxes would be metal.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Wire for everything you can think of now. It will never be as easy or cheap again.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭NakQuada

2011 wrote: »
    Assuming that there is a gap between the insulated board and the wall no conduit or chasing is required. If I were doing this I would install all boxes before the rooms are plasterboard is installed & all boxes would be metal.

Hi, thanks for the reply. This is exactly what the builders said to me. Great to get some extra feedback!

Any other hints/tips?
    I'm going to do as you say and add in extra wiring for Cat6 points, etc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I would chase the walls for the services, conduit up the wires and fix a steel box at the service. Its too much messing imo gouging out insulation out of the back of the slab for the wires. You say you are back to bare wall is it the old plaster, stone, brick or block wall?
    You said 30mm but that is not a size for insulated slab. There is a 35mm.If this is the case use 35mm steel back boxes, using the shallower boxes e.g 25mm are too shallow for alot of flush mounted sockets and switches.

I would chase the walls for the services, conduit up the wires and fix a steel box at the service. Its too much messing imo gouging out insulation out of the back of the slab for the wires. You say you are back to bare wall is it the old plaster, stone, brick or block wall?
    You said 30mm but that is not a size for insulated slab. There is a 35mm.If this is the case use 35mm steel back boxes, using the shallower boxes e.g 25mm are too shallow for alot of flush mounted sockets and switches.

Hi, you are correct. The insulated slabs are 25mm not 30mm. Im back to bare walls with old plaster on them!

Was hoping to not have to chase walls :/

• Advertisement

NakQuada wrote: »
    Hi, you are correct. The insulated slabs are 25mm not 30mm. Im back to bare walls with old plaster on them!

Was hoping to not have to chase walls :/

Is the cottage a stone or a block building?

Is the cottage a stone or a block building?

It is blockwork for the most part - and mass concrete in some places!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

it should be chased so

wires conduited flush and 35 mm boxes fixed to wall surface

It is blockwork for the most part - and mass concrete in some places!

A good wall chaser and good blades will chase both with no issue. A bad one will only end up going with the gouging out insulation method. You are going to have to chase internal walls for new services anyway.
    You could hire in a chasing company to do the chasing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

sounds like a cowboy job anyhow

whoever heard of slotting 35mm insulation

• Advertisement

sounds like a cowboy job anyhow

whoever heard of slotting 35mm insulation

It was a suggestion to get things done fast. Might have to go chasing walls so!

It was a suggestion to get things done fast. Might have to go chasing walls so!

If it were me i would, alot of jobs were done fast in the building boom and we all know the results of them.
    Another reason you should chase is from an example an engineer who got called to a premises that was recently refurbished.
    Mould was starting to show and grow and it was in a vertical line and only over where the electrical services were. He investigated further and the builder had cut out insulation to accommodate the conduits.
    He came to the conclusion that the cold wall was in effective a cold bridging issue with the warm slab and the air space where the insulation should be was the culprit.

If it were me i would, alot of jobs were done fast in the building boom and we all know the results of them.
    Another reason you should chase is from an example an engineer who got called to a premises that was recently refurbished.
    Mould was starting to show and grow and it was in a vertical line and only over where the electrical services were. He investigated further and the builder had cut out insulation to accommodate the conduits.
    He came to the conclusion that the cold wall was in effective a cold bridging issue with the warm slab and the air space where the insulation should be was the culprit.

Ahhhhh... that's great info. Feck it so lads, may go chasing so!
    Thanks for the help!

Advertisement