Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know a decent one man tent for hiking?

Options
  • 11-08-2014 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi guys, I've been into wild camping for years, but I've never really strayed very far from the car. Now I really want to start hiking to more remote camping spots. Can anybody recommend a good lightweight compact tent?

I'm thinking of spending around 100 euro, but I could go to about 200 euro for the right tent. It needs to be a mountain tent big enough for me and my gear (I'm 6 foot), fairly light, compact when packed and a color that will blend into the landscape fairly well.

The guy in Emerald Alpine has suggested the Vango Blade 100. Does anybody have any opinions on that?

I'm also looking for a sleeping mat. I really want the Exped Downmat 9, but unfortunately it's out of my price range.
    And a sleeping bag that will keep me warm in the Irish winters. Again, all relatively compact when packed.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

big fan of vango I think the make good solid tents, definitely not the lightest though

I got a "luxe outdoor mini peak II" for around €150 it is fine and light, under 2kgs but required a pole like a walking pole to erect it. would not recommend it for winter camping though woken by light wind at 4 oc in the morning with the tent flapping the pole had gone down during the night.

they have other products that might be better, got it from a uk supplier.

there should a couple of sales coming up in the online stores look for a 1-2 man tent under 3 kgs and see if you can get a good price.

Vango banshee http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vango-Banshee-200-2-Person-Tent-2014-/171417096032?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_HikingCamping_Tents_JN&var=&hash=item27e9414f60

• Registered Users Posts: 34 paulme

Thanks for the reply sheesh. I'l have a look through the luxe range.

I put that banshee on my watchlist, but I have a bid on a display model vango blade at the moment, so I'l wait and see how that goes before doing anything else.

Considering ignoring my budgetary restraints and getting a vango force 10 helium though. At 1.23 kg, it's very tempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

Wild country zephyros 2 tent would be worth considering also.Room for your hiking gear also.

Minimum Weight: 1.63Kg
    Packed Weight: 1.79Kg
    Flysheet: Pu Polyester R/S 4000mm FR
    Floor: Pu Polyester R/S 6000mm
    Poles: 8.5mm Wild Country Superflex Alloy
    Terra Nova branding

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wild-Country-Unisex-2-Tent-Outdoor-Activities-Camping-Accessory-Brand-New-/390817977420?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_HikingCamping_Tents_JN&hash=item5afe91144c

The zephyros 1 is 1.57kg, and at 6ft you'll fit into it ok,but prob wont be able to sit up in it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wild-Country-Outdoor-Camping-Accessory-Zephyros-1-Person-3-Season-Tent-1-57-kg-/371041486318?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_HikingCamping_Tents_JN&hash=item5663cbc5ee

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭r0n0c

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I appreciate them all. I won an auction for a vango blade 100 that was apparently "Out briefly for photography only". I think it was a good deal at 75 euro.

r0n0c, I was seriously considering getting a bivvy, but I was concerned about where to put my gear and also how winter proof it would be. I might try one next summer though.

Now I just need to find a good sleeping bag and mat and I'l be ready to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 KarlBray74

Sleeping mats: well if you are not going too often and just summer camping then go for a roll up from Argos/Halfords less than a tenner.

If you want deluxe then go for a Thermarest Self Inflating. Approx €90. Although some "own brand" self infating mats are out there and go from €30ish up

Sleeping bag: Vango have some good reasonably priced bags, bigger and heavier so depends are you carrying far etc....

My own set up is: I have a Vango Banshee 200 and a Thermarest which cost 2/3 the price of the tent but I sleep very well!! For summer camping I use a Snugpak Travel Pak Lite great bag, light and small to pack and reasonable

Hi Karl, I have an airbed that I got in halfords for a tenner, and I have to say that when space isn't an issue it's perfect. I haven't used a roll up mat for years, and I don't think I could go back to one now.

I am interested in the thermarest range. How do you inflate your mat? Do you bring a pump, or just use your lungs? I'd rather not have to bring a pump along too, as space and weight are a big issue.

I'm trying to stay as light as possible, while being prepared for the cold. I'm looking at the Snugpak Softie 9 sleeping bag, but I don't want to throw that kind of money away unless I know it's a good buy.

Anybody know anything about the snugpak premium airmat? It looks like it ticks all the boxes, and it's priced pretty reasonably at about 40 pound sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

paulme wrote: »
    I am interested in the thermarest range. How do you inflate your mat? Do you bring a pump, or just use your lungs? I'd rather not have to bring a pump along too, as space and weight are a big issue.

You don't need a pump.

Advertisement