Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desktop Not Downloading

Options
  • 11-08-2014 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Just after putting together a desktop but have one problem. The download speed is close to 40kbs a second as aposed to what I consider normal 400kbs. Internet browsing is incredily slow also. I use an Edimax wifi adapter. My laptop is beside it and getting full download speed. Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Disconnect all devices connected by wifi and try it on its own. Did you install all the correct drivers for your MB and Wifi adapter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Disconnect all devices connected by wifi and try it on its own. Did you install all the correct drivers for your MB and Wifi adapter?

Wifi yes. MB no, don't know how to :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Did you get a disk with the motherboard?

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Did you get a disk with the motherboard?

Stupid me. Turns out I was just too far away from router, even though it was only down the hall. Thanks for replies regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

The girlfriend just got a set of this. Can confirm they work, and will get at least 30Mb speeds (was internet-limited when I tested them). PC World in Jervis has them for a surprisingly competitive €32 as well.

Serephucus wrote: »
    The girlfriend just got a set of this. Can confirm they work, and will get at least 30Mb speeds (was internet-limited when I tested them). PC World in Jervis has them for a surprisingly competitive €32 as well.

Is it plug into wall outlet and ethernet or what? How does it work :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Yeah, you plug them into a wall socket and your network runs over them. Things like extension leads reduce effectiveness, so straight into the socket, if possible. You can pick other ones which have another plug socket on the outside so you can still use it.
    Eg.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA451KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Through/dp/B00D8BGLMY/

They are generally faster than wireless (depends on a lot of factors), but the main value is that they offer a more consistent connection.

Advertisement