Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vaping?

• 11-08-2014 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭

Has anyone successfully quit using these?

I quit cold turkey a while back and slowly went back on ciggs :rolleyes: I can't believe it.

Do e ciggs simply make you dependent on them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Moved to the Vaping forum.

e-cigs don't make you dependent on them - you are already dependent on nicotine. ecigs give you an alternative nicotine delivery system that doesn't provide the same harmful effects as cigarettes do. Some people have used them to quit - others are quite happy to continue vaping. For one thing it's a hell of a lot cheaper and secondly there is much, much less harm in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Bafucin wrote: »

I quit cold turkey a while back and slowly went back on ciggs :rolleyes: I can't believe it.

Nahhhh, scummy tobacco companies left us dependant on Nicotine through a filthy numerous disease and cancer causing tobacco cigarette,.... But now years later 'we' have come up with an alternative to deliver Nicotine to our craving bodies, that does not contain any of the numerous disease and cancer causing chemicals or smoke that those filthy, rotten, tobacco cigarettes contained.. So although you may still feel 'cold turkey' symptoms when you stop delivering Nicotine to your body! it's not the e-cigs fault, it is the tobacco company's fault, oh and your fault for ever smoking in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭JH_raheny

switching to e-cigs will definetely make it easier to quit later, once your body is rid of all the other crap ciggies contains and also gives you withdrawal symptoms you are left with only nicotine+habit and you just gradually vein yourself off that, I decided to give it at 12 months to fully quit and started on 24mg liquid and am now down to 6mg after 8 months vaping and could probably just go cold turkey already, I don't get anything that resembles the cravings I had for cigarettes (was on 30-40 a day)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭accaguest

It's a weird one. Everyone will be different I suppose.

I 'successfully quit' immediately but if I stop vaping I'll smoke. Pretty immediately, it will be just like I have to get the willpower to quit all over again - and I didn't need much with vaping, it was so (too?) easy. But this is just my experience, I was shocked to find I could jump back to smoking so quickly.

I bought the Allen Carr book yesterday and I'm only 50 pages in but I'd doubt he'd like them at all for genuinely 'quitting'. He's taking his time getting to the point but I think he reckons our relationship with smoking is dysfunctional - we don't enjoy it (think back to your first cigarette etc.) but have deluded ourselves, maybe through nic dependency, that we get something from it. If we don't realise this irrationality they'll have a power over us for ever making permanent quitting impossible - we'll always feel deprived at the back of our mind and in a time of stress, desire etc. we'll reach out. E-cigs, in my case, actually confirm this irrationality - I think I'm so powerless over them/nicotine I'll just have to find the 'best' way to carry on getting my fix. I'm not sure this is the best way for me to view smoking/vaping so going to try his way and see.

Having said that, pick up an e-cig tonight and you may never pick up a cigarette again with far less (zero?) health impact and a fairly interesting little sub-culture around it also (I learned how to solder through vaping bizarrely and lots else besides).

It's better than smoking, but not as good as a genuine behavioral/attitudinal change imo. And that's only because I don't like the part of myself that likes smoking, some people may be (rightly) more comfortable/mature about that I'm just looking around at the moment and should probably be posting in the Giving Up Smoking forum. And 7 easy months off fags with no real effort required isn't something I should take for granted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭nuttyboy79

Yes you come to rely on them for your fix of nicotine but that's all you're getting none of the other crud that goes into a cigarette. To give you an idea of how well they work I used to smoke a 25g pouch of tobacco a day, before I started on roll ups I smoked 40-60 cigarettes a day, I'd been doing this for nearly 30 years. I tried everything out there from patches to tablets (even the Allen Carr book) everything. Every day for nearly 30 years I smoked before I went downstairs, with almost every cuppa, after every meal all the usual habit times for a smoke. I watched my father die from progressive lung disease 18 long months it took I toyed with the idea of quitting then but nope, no will power liked a smoke too much. 4 weeks ago I bought a starter kit from a shop and said to myself I'll combine smoking and vaping ween myself of the stinkies over about 6 months. I haven't had a smoke in 2 weeks and don't miss them at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

nuttyboy79 wrote: »
    Yes you come to rely on them for your fix of nicotine but that's all you're getting none of the other crud that goes into a cigarette. To give you an idea of how well they work I used to smoke a 25g pouch of tobacco a day, before I started on roll ups I smoked 40-60 cigarettes a day, I'd been doing this for nearly 30 years. I tried everything out there from patches to tablets (even the Allen Carr book) everything. Every day for nearly 30 years I smoked before I went downstairs, with almost every cuppa, after every meal all the usual habit times for a smoke. I watched my father die from progressive lung disease 18 long months it took I toyed with the idea of quitting then but nope, no will power liked a smoke too much. 4 weeks ago I bought a starter kit from a shop and said to myself I'll combine smoking and vaping ween myself of the stinkies over about 6 months. I haven't had a smoke in 2 weeks and don't miss them at all.

Same sort of story, lots of people around me stopping smoking and moving to Vaping, all telling me to try it, the "fear" of never having a smoke put me off until a close relative died of lung cancer at a very early age due to smoking.

So a little over a year on from having my last cigarette, I've now amassed a picnic basket full of juice, mods and batts all over the place and there's normally a charger in one room powering up an 18650. I've also managed to save over €2k on what I would have spent on smokes too.

I despair I hadn't discovered Vaping sooner. So much nicer than smoking no matter what way you cut it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭nuttyboy79

Deank wrote: »
    So much nicer than smoking no matter what way you cut it.

And the flavours you can get no more foul smelling and tasting smoke I am swapping between fizzy lemonade and black jacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

nuttyboy79 wrote: »
    And the flavours you can get no more foul smelling and tasting smoke I am swapping between fizzy lemonade and black jacks.

The bonus of being able to Vape indoors is a massive plus too.

Some juices are stinky but nowhere near as vile cig smoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

I started on 12mg for about a year, tried a 6mg, struggled, tried a 0mg, perfect, been on 0mg for 3/4's of a year, pick it up once or twice a day have a chuff, just to feed the habit of puffing on something.

Have a ego-c or t i don't know, has lasted a year, second atomizer, only cos the other ones filter tip cracked etc.. a bottle of juice since April 30ml, still just under half in it. for the year (tip wood) I'd say its cost me under 40 quid.

Tis an awful addictive thing the nicotine and to be still craving it every morning and during work was getting me down. Plus the thing never left my hand for a full year, bottles of juice every two/three weeks, new atomizers, charging a battery every day etc, all becomes a new fad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jousting with chairs

Similar situation to you guys,
    40+ fags a day,switched to rollies, 2x50 gram packs a week.I stopped at the shop to buy tobacco one day and as walked in I thought no I'll try and give them up.
    I went cold turkey for 3 days when someone mentioned getting one of those ''pipe'' things so off I went and got an Ego blister pack and some 24mg Wicked juice and I haven't craved a fag since.I've probably spent more on vaping gear than I would on tobacco but that's at least I have something to show for it and I love tinkering around with stuff so it's a win/win situation for me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭MollyZ

I have successfully quit using ecigs, and firmly believe that without them I couldn't have done it. Like most people here I was a very heavy smoker and had been for over 30 years. I made a couple of attempts to stop over the years using gum, patches etc but never lasted more than a day - I just couldn't do it at all.

Decided to try the ecigs about 18 months ago. It was always my hope that I would manage to give up vaping at some point, and I managed to do that in May of this year, so overall it took around 14 months. I did it in stages - quit the smokes first and when I got totally used to not having them I started cutting down the amount of nicotine in the juice. I started mixing my own juice so that I could take the level down really slowly until I was vaping zero nic juice. Then I stopped putting any flavour in it so I was just vaping flavourless juice for a few weeks. I know it must sound daft, but even then it did take a bit of willpower to stop altogether - didn't know what to be doing with my hands! I just took it at my own pace and didn't set any limits or time frames for giving up completely,which suited me fine. I won't say there was never a time when I really wanted a burning cigarette - there were plenty of them and there still are from time to time - but nothing too extreme of difficult to resist.

Just a few short weeks before I started vaping, I reckoned there was no way I would ever be able to give up smoking, and most of my friends and family probably agreed -they were really, really surprised when I managed to do it. Some of the smokers among them have now switched to vaping too, which is great.

Didn't mean to waffle on for so long, but I feel really strongly that ecigs/vaping are like a gift from heaven for people like me who want to quit smoking but just can't manage using other methods. Like everything else, it might not be the best method for everyone, but for me it was only thing that could ever have gotten me off the cigs and I will sing its praises to anyone who is considering it as a means of quitting. If you do decide to give it a try, I wish you the very best of luck with it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 irish_investr

I smoked 1-2 packs of smokes for 25 years, and quit instantly on the day I tried my first vape. That was about 5 years ago. I started vaping at 18mg nicotine and thought I could gradually reduce that to 0, but the few times I went below 6mg I started going back on the ciggs again. Always manage to find an excuse: no battery, no juice, whatever. So now I'm just sticking with my 6mg and dropped the ambition to quit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dr Bill V1.5

I smoked 1-2 packs of smokes for 25 years, and quit instantly on the day I tried my first vape. That was about 5 years ago. I started vaping at 18mg nicotine and thought I could gradually reduce that to 0, but the few times I went below 6mg I started going back on the ciggs again. Always manage to find an excuse: no battery, no juice, whatever. So now I'm just sticking with my 6mg and dropped the ambition to quit.

Same as that, just over 4 years vaping now and have never touched a cig since the first day I started vaping although I have been tempted, I usually go for a mouth to lung tank with a 12 mg tobacco flavour and that sorts any urges for a cig. Vaping for me at this stage is more of a hobby with all that goes with it, mixing juice, getting builds and wicking into tanks and rda's, cleaning and forever charging batteries. Smoking was never as much fun :)

Advertisement