Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Water

Options
  • 11-08-2014 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hi all..

Is there anything we can do about the sh1t quality of water in north dublin?

As we will be soon be paying for water that we cannot drink from the tap.

I have no problem paying for services e.g. bins health services if the service is up to scratch.

Our boiler kettles showers have all been ruined by the water!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I use a Brita filter jug for our drinking water, have done for years. It makes a huge difference to the taste.
    I soak the shower heads in vinegar or lemon juice about once a year (there's a Cillit Bang product for this too), and use a descaler or one of those little wire wool balls Homestore & More sell for the kettle.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

We have to descale our shower weekly & the kettle every fortnight. However I find the water just fine to drink. I'd rate it quite highly as drinking water.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭shooter69

We got a water softener about a year ago and the difference is amazing , no descaling of kettles or showers and the mrs raves about how soft her hair is after shower . Not to mention you only need half the normal amount of washing powder/soap/shower gel etc so we love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

shooter69 wrote: »
    We got a water softener about a year ago and the difference is amazing , no descaling of kettles or showers and the mrs raves about how soft her hair is after shower . Not to mention you only need half the normal amount of washing powder/soap/shower gel etc so we love it!

What type did you get? Is it the one you add salt to?

If yes, did you get a second tap in for drinking water?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭shooter69

Hi yes it does have salt - only uses a 25kg bag every couple of months or so. PM me if you want the company - I won't mention them here but am happy with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It is no problem for an established poster to make a recommendation on-thread. it is spammers & shills that we abhor.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dubsontour

We also descale showers and kettles very often. Also as someone else said the drinking water is good quality and it was up till last week .However I am noticing a distinct metallic aftertaste even after boiling.
    I tweeted Irish water about it and they said the repairs in Dublin Street Balbriggan could be the cause. Was told to flush the system and if it continued to contact them and they will investigate it.
    Taste still there so I direct messaged them just now so we will see what happens.

Advertisement