Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my results

Options
  • 11-08-2014 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

hello everyone i studied nothing in 1st or 2nd year and in 1st i done well enough 2nd i done bad i got 5 c's 1 b 6 d and failed 2 and cant remember the rest of the results say if i study in 3rd year (which im planning to do) should i be okay for it since all i really need to learn is 2nd year and bits of first and then what ever they teach in 3rd is the junior cert hard or is it easy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 TypicalAsian

It's easy and hard. It's easy if you put the effort into it. It's hard if you spend the whole year procrastinating. What really helped me in the Junior Certificate is that you need to apply these few words into school; Just do it.

Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

If you work hard in third year you should do just fine. Usual advice: listen in class, ask a question if something isn't clear, do all your homework thoroughly, and familiarise yourself with exam papers.
    As the poster above points out, if you put in the effort, it will be reflected in your results.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 pigeon man

thanks everyone im going to try my best how much should i study a day/week and can you take like a day break every week of studying

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

pigeon man wrote: »
    thanks everyone im going to try my best how much should i study a day/week and can you take like a day break every week of studying

It totally depends on the person.
    Your first priority should still be completing your homework and looking over material for class tests etc. but you should still be able to fit in some light study most days to get you back on track.
    In your situation, it would probably be a good idea to plan to regularly revise/study some of the work you missed in each subject - something like 20-30 minutes per subject, one or two subjects per evening plus two or three subjects per weekend. You could be flexible and give yourself days off by making a basic timetable - for example, 12 sessions per week could be broken down so that you do 2 sessions per day Monday to Saturday and do no study on Sunday, or you could occasionally cover 3 sessions on a couple of evenings and have an entire weekend off. Just make sure you achieve your aims each week.
    The time spent isn't that important, so focus on 'results based learning', i.e. make aims like 'Geography - by the end of this week I will be able to list and explain each of the types of rock; Home Economics - by the end of this week I will be able to fully answer the 2012 long question on coeliac disease.' etc
    Test yourself by writing out answers to questions from the book or exam papers and correcting them against the marking schemes and/or information in the book.
    Keep a hardback or folder for each subject so that you can use all your work during the next year to aid your final revision.

Edit to say, I always recommend completing all your written homework on Friday evening so that you have free time on Saturday and Sunday. I also think it's a good idea to get into the habit of getting the study sessions out of the way on Saturday morning/early afternoon, so that you don't end up with a backlog of work to get through on Sunday night, making you tired and less able for school on Monday morning :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8 pigeon man

i use to do my weekend homework on monday morning haha i wont be doing that again

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Listen properly in class and always ask a question if you don't understand something. Do your homework to as high a standard as you can.
    Don't miss days at school unnecessarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭IrishLassie26

You can bring your results up to the highest possible if you put in the work and effort. However, it isn't all just going to appear in your head overnight as one of our teachers used to tell us. If you put in the time and effort it will all show in your results.

The basics to good results is the following:
    1. Do all your homework thoroughly (anything you are struggling with stay at until you feel confident that you could sit a class test the following day) and anything you are given to learn for homework,do it (it pays off towards the end of the year!)
    2. Listen in class always
    3. Ask your teacher if you don`t understand something (even something small)

It`s not about how long you study for but your intake for that study time. Test yourself regularly and revise chapters which you learned off in previous weeks frequently so you won`t forget what you have learned.

In your textbooks highlight or make notes of key lines, phrases, words, definitions etc. or make notes to make learning easier. Lots of junior cert books tend to wander on about explaining something or referring to something. You don`t need to know this off word for word just have a good understanding.

Practice as many exam papers as possible and even complete them if you have the time. Prepare answers to long questions in history, english, irish etc. and try to be able to rewrite them if a question like that comes up in an exam.

Remember to practice your listening with the CDs in exam papers as they provide a high percentage in languages

Create goals for yourself each week/term where you will have a certain no. of chapters/sections of each subject studied. It will also motivate you when you see your progress!

Do remember to take breaks as if you push yourself to study around the clock you will become tired and fed up on a regular basis. Study for a suitable time length e.g. 40mins and take a 10min break or whatever is suitable for you. :D

Hope this helps. Best of luck with your Junior Cert, if you put in the work its a breeze! Any other questions just ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭pizzamad

Exam papers, presence in class and doing homework of good quality is all I did really :)

Advertisement