Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferry deals to France - Summer 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Cianmcliam wrote: »
    I just got two Three UK pre-paid mobile broadband sims with zero credit, less than €4.50 each delivered from Amazon. You can then buy top-up voucher codes from rechargemysim.net using any credit card or with PayPal. The Three UK site will only accept UK credit cards. £15 for 3GB of data or £25 for 7GB.

The benefit of doing it this way is that Three UK have three roaming partners in France, an Orange SIM will probably only work on their network. Once we get to the site I can check if there's strong 3G signal there or not before I buy any credit. If it won't work with Three UK it won't work with Orange either, they are one of Three UK's roaming partners.

That's a super idea Cian, thanks for sharing.

Can you confirm that this is the SIM you ordered/I should order? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Broadband-Prepay-Sim-Card-Pay/dp/B001CT5WK6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1435315246&sr=8-4&keywords=Three+UK+pre-paid+mobile+broadband+sims

Might be too late for posters here but just got an email from Siblu offering 35% discount on selected dates in July for selected camp sites. See www.siblu.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

That's a super idea Cian, thanks for sharing.

Can you confirm that this is the SIM you ordered/I should order? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Broadband-Prepay-Sim-Card-Pay/dp/B001CT5WK6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1435315246&sr=8-4&keywords=Three+UK+pre-paid+mobile+broadband+sims

This is the one I bought for the iPad 3 which takes a micro sim, I got a nano sim for the phone. They post to Ireland, arrived in three days. Zero credit out of the packet.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BFQ3RXU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Cianmcliam wrote: »
    This is the one I bought for the iPad 3 which takes a micro sim, I got a nano sim for the phone. They post to Ireland, arrived in three days. Zero credit out of the packet.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BFQ3RXU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Thanks Cian, just ordered one there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Would anyone have any idea of the total toll charges for the journey from Cherbourg to St. Jean de Monts. I looked up a couple of sites and they said zero tolls but I had assumed there were some charges.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Would anyone have any idea of the total toll charges for the journey from Cherbourg to St. Jean de Monts. I looked up a couple of sites and they said zero tolls but I had assumed there were some charges.

Thanks

I don't think there are any - or very few anyway. You can see the map at http://about-france.com/geo/motorways.htm. Not all autoroutes are tolled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Thanks

From Rennes to St. Jean de Monts there are definitely no tolls. North or Renne I do no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭A Law

Thanks

No tolls. I used the aa routeplanner. Not the easiest follow but got us there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I've done both roscoff and cherbourg to St Jean De Monts, there are definitely no tolls for the full length of the jorney, not even around Nantes. (or down as far as la Rochelle for that matter)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

You can use the Michelin site which will give your route, mileage and toll costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

(or down as far as la Rochelle for that matter)

There is a toll down close to La Rochelle. I think the road is relatively new but there is a 130km/h toll option that is about €8 before you hit La Rochelle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭webpal

There are no tolls or charges, there is a toll plaza on the A83 south of Nantes but you wont be taking this road if you are going to SJDM. Or if you are taking this, chances are you will take the first exit before the toll anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mcgarrett

Thanks

No charges, Just make sure you don't hit the A83 peage(blue signs) south of Nantes tolls begin about 10k out.

Bring the sun cream it was 38° here today.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭aquarius10

mattb74 wrote: »
    Has anybody travelled yet this year?, would be interested to hear peoples experiences of the Stena Horizon in particular. Sailing August 13th myself.

Sailed last Sunday from Cherbourg-rosslare - we had 4 berth inside cabin with wider beds which are bigger than IF - better air conditioning - cabin not as stuffy - ship smaller and not as fancy but it's fine. The sailing was rougher - maybe due to weather ?? cabin had noises with vibration from engines . We sailed over with Irish Ferries who have bigger ship but tiny cabins.

Stena has Open lounge bar area - small kids soft play area - small restaurant - it's basic but does the job. Lots of people sleeping in bar areas on couches which was not policed.

On Stena There was no staff around when we boarded to show us where to go for cabin keys- we had to ask other passengers.

Had to park car on open deck on top of ship which is bit weird ? Also had to reverse car to get off deck - loading a bit of free for all.

I would travel with Stena again if the price was right.

I would only travel with Irish Ferries again if we could get a bigger cabin as their 4 Berth inside cabin is no bigger than a closet with no air :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

aquarius10 wrote: »
    On Stena There was no staff around when we boarded to show us where to go for cabin keys- we had to ask other passengers.

We're heading over in August too, first time on this ship. Is it easy to find where to get the cabin keys?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

omahaid wrote: »
    We're heading over in August too, first time on this ship. Is it easy to find where to get the cabin keys?

Easy enough; the office is on the main level where the bar and restaurant are. Its just a bit of a scrum and you alzo have to return them before disembarking to get your "deposit" back. The IF system of giving them to you at check in is a lot smoother.

Concerning cabins, I haven't noticed much difference but we use them as 2 berth so that might make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Paid balance of I.F. price today. Countdown has started! Sailing Aug.10th Cherbourg.

Thanks

Definitely no tolls, not the last few year's anyway. I've driven both Roscoff and Cherbourg to St Jean de Monts via Rennes and Nantes and never encountered a toll.

For those with Android phones it's with downloading the Nokia maps app "Here" and before you go (on Wi-Fi) download the map of France so you can navigate offline to your destination. One tip is after you've downloaded the map stay online and find and mark your campsite/local attractions/restaurants/supermarkes as "favourites" and then set the app to offline. That'll allow you to quickly select the common destinations you way to get to.

One other tip is to go into settings and change the type of roads to exclude unpaved roads. That will help avoid going on "scenic" routes which are 2km shorter but take 45 minutes longer!

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Just in case anyone else had booked Stena sailing Rosslare - Cherbourg last year...

Sailing time had changed from 21:30 to 20:30, but no one informed us. Arrived at 20:10, after boarding had closed - they relented and let us on, last vehicle to board!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Just in case anyone else had booked Stena sailing Rosslare - Cherbourg last year...

Sailing time had changed from 21:30 to 20:30, but no one informed us. Arrived at 20:10, after boarding had closed - they relented and let us on, last vehicle to board!

You are luckier than a very lucky thing :)
    Horrible sinking feeling when you see the rear doors closing and they definitely won't open them again !

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭DUBLIN_person

Anyone know the best site to use for topping up the 3UK sim cards for the Data while in France?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

Anyone know the best site to use for topping up the 3UK sim cards for the Data while in France?

I used http://www.rechargemysim.de/epages/63245108.mobile/?ObjectPath=/Shops/63245108
    They emailed me the code, then just entered it on the website. All worked fine. I got an email from them first though which said the transaction was suspicious, once I replied to that they emailed the code very quickly.

Hi all,

I'm sad to say the 3 weeks I've booked in Le Bois Masson for 2 adults and 2 kids in a 3 bed Excellence mobile home with covered deck etc checking in this Saturday the 11th and returning July 31st is going to be cancelled due a sudden seriouss illness a close family member has developed which requires me to remain here as there is likely to be a funeral etc in the next week or ten days.

I don't know if the small print in Siblu bookings allows holidays to be transferred to another person or if there would be anyone on here even looking for a good deal on a last minute French campsite holiday and ready time hit the road in a couple of days time but I'd rather someone here got the benefit of the holiday at the discounted price I paid than simply cancel it and claim on my insurance as Siblu won't refund me (which I've no issue with as it's a non refundable booking) but I know they'll quickly re-sell the booking as it's high season and they'll offer a deal to someone.

I also have a ferry crossing Thursday night with Stena from Rosslare to Cherbourg with 4 berth indoor cabin returning July 31st which could possibly be transferred also.

I know it's a long shot but who knows. If no one is interested in taking over the booking(s) I'll just cancel them and claim on my travel insurance which should be straight forward a I've already spoken to them. Total cost of holiday including ferry and loyalty/early booking discounts etc was circa €3,000 which is a very good deal for three weeks.

Life's a bitch eh?

If anyone's interested pm me and before I cancel both the ferry and holiday (which I need to do by lunchtime tomorrow) I'll call both Stena and Siblu to suss out if they'd facilitate a transfer and honour the existing pricing. How we'd organise payment between us would have to be worked out but I'm sure we'd figure something out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Aw man, sorry to hear that. But at the end of the day family must come first.
    Is there an equivalent to done deal, Craigslist etc in France I wonder? You might have some success that way but you might still run into the issue of clearing it with siblu.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Aw man, sorry to hear that. But at the end of the day family must come first.
    Is there an equivalent to done deal, Craigslist etc in France I wonder? You might have some success that way but you might still run into the issue of clearing it with siblu.

There is something like that, I believe it's called Le Bon Coin. Three weeks is worth trying to find someone, IMO. I hope you manage to get some of it back at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Very sorry to hear that man, awful news to get!

Thanks guys.

I'm not worried about getting something back financially as I'm already covered with travel insurance. I'd just like someone to enjoy the bloody holiday if I can't!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Thanks

Just back after doing that trip.

No tolls, 4hrs 30mins drive with no stops.

Weather was glorious and it's depressing to be home:o

• Advertisement

FYI. There should be a 4 berth cabin with window available on tomorrow evenings Stena sailing to Cherbourg in case anyone here want able to book one when you made your original reservation. Might be worth a call in the morning if you're looking for one.

Advertisement