Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hello how to get into tourism business?

Options
  • 11-08-2014 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hello I usually see many tourists by a local business attraction and find that no real tourist walks or even selling tourist ammentities are available .

how would I go about organising tourist walks and tours like including local myths and legends and even selling small local knick-knacks who do I approach to do this and would I need any licenses to start thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I'm not sure how it'd work here, but when I lived in Berlin people used to do free walking tours on a voluntary contribution basis. People paid what they wanted to, or not at all.

Why not start off like this just to get going- if after a couple of tours you think it's for you, then look in to all the legalities fully and get yourself set up properly.

This way you could get started tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

It is going to be difficult to do walks and man a stall selling nick knacks at the same time! The stall would need a casual trading licence from your Local Authority. The walks are unregulated.

The big task will be to get yourself a proper route, a well researched, interesting and correct "patter" and learn to deliver it naturally. In parallel you need to market your service to coach drivers, hotels , local shops etc and any local tourist office. Get a name for being the local "goto guy" Some very simple but well designed flyers and even a bit of an auld one page website together with a contact number and you are good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭hagoonabear

thanks for the great replies :-). I'm thinking of charging 5per person for tour and even doing tours at night to tell local scary tales etc . As for the stall we will be selling small glass jars , food, drink, knick knack.

Of Me and my partner doing this so hopefully we can apply for btwea as we are both unemployed , but the flyers idea great thank you and if all goes well we hope to start a horse and cart tour too give them real taste of ireland,

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

quote: "and if all goes well we hope to start a horse and cart tour too give them real taste of Ireland,"

Hopefully some of this is worthwhile to you Hagoonabear.

There was an absolute gent doing walking tours of Kilkenny last year and he had great patter. try going on a few tours and pick up some patter (not facts) from the guides

the knick-knacks is a totally separate venture and has a few barriers to entry (HSE, Council licenses etc) whereas your walking tour can be setup in days. Go with the walks first and bring the shop online at a later stage .

Good luck with the venture. Might I add that until the horse and cart are bought (or leased) ,keep it quiet.
    Don't give the competition any time to prepare by telling people your plans.

contact your local tourism office and hostels and have them point people your way.

oh and have a bag of rain poncho's handy for your guests.

Fionn

• Advertisement
Advertisement