Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hit me with a good bar

• 11-08-2014 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

Need a recommendation for a good power bar for my gym . Preferably 28mm or so with power rings . Will be used only for powerlifts , faily aggressive knurl etc etc. Had a hard on for the texas power bar but the price tag gave me a floppy. Are there any comparible bars out there that arent 500 euro plus? or is it worth it and I should suck it up and buy one ? That black oxide looks awesome tho.

Recommendations appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Rogue Europe have good bars.

Suitable for PL & WL.
    Ohio bar with black zinc oxide & bright zinc oxide sleeves.

http://www.rogueeurope.eu/weightlifting-bars-plates/bars/mens-bars

Decent price too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Rogue Europe have good bars.

Suitable for PL & WL.
    Ohio bar with black zinc oxide & bright zinc oxide sleeves.

http://www.rogueeurope.eu/weightlifting-bars-plates/bars/mens-bars

Decent price too.

Thanks for the recommendation . Its 377 shipped , decent amount cheaper than the tpb so its definitely a consideration. Lovely looking bar too . Id wonder if it would be a bit whippy since its also made for oly lifts ? I have very little knowledge in different bars and I want one for life and completely fit for purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 leeenfield

A crow bar should do the trick

leeenfield wrote: »
    A crow bar should do the trick

H8clR.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 leeenfield

dor843088 wrote: »
    /i.imgur.com/H8clR.gif

right there Ted

• Advertisement

After looking Into the ohio bar iv kinda ruled it out for the reason it has no centre knurling and my wrists take enough punishment on low bar squats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

dor843088 wrote: »
    After looking Into the ohio bar iv kinda ruled it out for the reason it has no centre knurling and my wrists take enough punishment on low bar squats.
    Altenatives;
    http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-chan-bar
    http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-power-bar

Ignore, helpfulness foiled by out of Europeness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Mellor wrote: »

Those aren't available on the Euro site.

I know you asked for a 28mm bar but you could look at the York power bar. No experience with it but just throwing another option out there.

Link

Altenatives;
    http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-chan-bar
    http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-power-bar

Ignore, helpfulness foiled by out of Europeness

Thanks , rogue have an awesome selection of bars if they opened them up here theyd have the market to themselves with regards to power bars. At least thats what my hunt for a decent power bar suggests.

DylanJM wrote: »
    Those aren't available on the Euro site.

I know you asked for a 28mm bar but you could look at the York power bar. No experience with it but just throwing another option out there.

Link

Im really after a 28mm bar dude , I already have a larger diameter fairly ****ty bar think its 30mm . Looks like there is simply no choice this side of the pond. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

It annoys me immensely that Rogue don't centre knurl most of their bars, considering the best bar manufacturers in the world do it for their competition bars.

Hanley wrote: »
    It annoys me immensely that Rogue don't centre knurl most of their bars, considering the best bar manufacturers in the world do it for their competition bars.

What's the logic behind no centre knurling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

What's the logic behind no centre knurling?
    I'd imagine some people don't like it if they're doing a lot of cleans so probably more suited to weightlifting than powerlifting.

Thanks for the recommendations . I think the tpb wins out due to complete lack of competition although id probably have gone for a rogue bar had it got centre knurling . The missus is gonna kill me when she finds out iv spent 500 quid on a bar . Iv already spent a fortune. :D

I'd imagine some people don't like it if they're doing a lot of cleans so probably more suited to weightlifting than powerlifting.

Yeah that's their reasoning behind it but tbh I don't really see it as that big a deal. I've scuffed my neck maybe 3 or 4 time in just over two years of training. I don't hear too many people complain about it either.

Yeah that's their reasoning behind it but tbh I don't really see it as that big a deal. I've scuffed my neck maybe 3 or 4 time in just over two years of training. I don't hear too many people complain about it either.

Yeah, I wouldn't have thought there would be that many who would see it as a big issue to make it a hugely marketable bar. But then I don't do cleans...

Speaking of texas bars being for life ben rice just bent his missing a squat.

Yeah cool if you dump 240kg really hard onto the rack and a bar bends. Not too surprising really!

Apparently it was still in a useable condition after that. That's Japanese engineering for you but yeah 99% of the time if you drop a bar on to safeties it's gone.

• Advertisement

Yeah cool if you dump 240kg really hard onto the rack and a bar bends. Not too surprising really!

Apparently it was still in a useable condition after that. That's Japanese engineering for you but yeah 99% of the time if you drop a bar on to safeties it's gone.

Ah I know I heard rippetoe saying he saw an elieko being bent by being dropped from ovwrhead with only 1 plate or something on it.

It's not even that the bar hit the safeties with the TPB. it was that it SMASHED into em.

Rob destroyed one here a while ago when he dropped a band resisted squat onto a box.

What does the "@8", "@9.5" mean in his set notation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭sean_0

They are RPE numbers - rate of perceived exertion. It's a system of rating your sets conceived by Mike Tuchscherer at Reactive Training Systems http://www.reactivetrainingsystems.com/.

An @8 rating would mean you think you could have gotten another 2 reps at that weight. An @9.5 means you may have been able to get one more, but you're not sure.

I've been rating my sets for a few months now and you get used to it and better at it after a while. It's designed to be used as part of auto-regulation of intensity and volume for more advanced lifters, but I think it's pretty useful just as a shorthand way of recording how things felt on a given day.

Cheers for that. I'd seen it before but was never sure what it was. Might start rating my sets with a number rather than arbitrary phrases like easy set, felt ok or tough, etc

Should the set above be labelled a 10 then? As he failed he wasn't getting one more rep. Or in this case, is 9.5 rating the difference between failing due to exertion and failing do to technique breakdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭sean_0

Should the set above be labelled a 10 then? As he failed he wasn't getting one more rep. Or in this case, is 9.5 rating the difference between failing due to exertion and failing do to technique breakdown.

Good question. In my records that would be a 10. However it's probably more important that you are consistent in how you record RPE than to confrom to a particular standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

sean_0 wrote: »
    Good question. In my records that would be a 10. However it's probably more important that you are consistent in how you record RPE than to confrom to a particular standard.

While I haven't heard of this used in for resistance training, with RPE its useful to do whats called anchoring.

So for example this might be something like a bleep test or any test with a team where they get pushed to maximum, and that would count as a ten then for RPE. So they have a reference of sorts to know what a real "ten" feels like and can base other sessions off it.

I suppose you could do something similar in a gym setting by doing a 1RM or 3RM test something like that so you have a reference then to what really fighting for the reps feels like.

I've never used it in relation to reps left in the tank like above, just have something like this to stick in there faces

1000w

The numbers should go to 11.

10 limits you.

What if you're going for a PR and giving it a ten and it's not happening?

You should be able to push to 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

The numbers should go to 11.

10 limits you.

What if you're going for a PR and giving it a ten and it's not happening?

You should be able to push to 11.

You mean like giving it 110%? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

brownej wrote: »
    You mean like giving it 110%? :rolleyes:

That whoosh is the sound of the Spinal Tap reference going over your head.

Advertisement