Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

permanently banned from GAA

Options
  • 11-08-2014 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi

i received this PM yesterday from a forum moderator.

"Dear freddiek,

You have been permanently banned from GAA for Trolling.

This means you are posting in an intentionally provocative fashion in order to gain a reaction from other members. This is disruptive and causes stress to other members.
    We don't want that here."

i had previously been banned 2 or 3 weeks ago for 1 comment made on a thread also on GAA specifically created for "unpopular opinions". the same mod was behind that ban too.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057228928

i appealed that ban as the nature of the thread suggested 'unpopular' opinions were welcome however the mod obviously saw things differently.

this latest permanent ban follows 1 comment i made on this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057266193

about Jim Gavin's interview after the match the weekend.

i had not been on the GAA forum that often since my last expired. my posts could be seen on my profile but for some reason the ones i made since my last ban and maybe all GAA posts have been wiped. this is unfortunate because if they were available you could see for yourself how innocuous they all were.
    Nobody was insulted, nobody complained and none were removed from any thread.

was has occurred here is that some comments which could be described as 'begrudging' appeared on the above match thread after the game between dublin and monaghan ended. an argument developed and the mod intervened which can be seen on the thread. however none of the begrudging or off-topic comments were made by myself nor did iget involved in a dispute with anyone. i simply questioned what Jim Gavin had to say in his interview after the match.

i have been warned previously to stop 'trolling' Dublin fans but nothing i have contributed since the last ban falls under that category. nobody has accused me of it either except this mod.

i have invited him to state specifically what is trolling about my posts and he has declined to answer me. i think he is being very unfair. no reasonable person could look at my post about Jim Gavin in the above match thread and deem it worthy of a ban/perma ban whatever.

its unfortunate that the GAA posts have been removed from my profile as it would make your task easier but i could probably find them if necessary.

what i want to ensure here is that i am getting fair treatment. i maintain i have done nothing wrong since last ban expired.

yes i have been in touch with the Mod since ban and now i have taken it here.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK, I'll have a look at this. Firstly you mention that your posts have been removed - that's not the case. I can find only one post of yours in the forum that has been deleted by the mod. You cannot though see anything from the forum when logged in as you are banned. If you log out you will be able to see all the posts you have made with that one exception

I may need some time to look at this, as you have been involved in 2 previous dispute threads and I would like to review your overall posting in the forum to draw a conclusion over whether a permanent ban is warranted

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

Thanks - i see them all now. so they didnt disappear once the ban took effect.

just a couple of points i want to make:

- i know in most cases a Mod's decision will be upheld so im being realistic about this.
    - the key thing in my view is that a decision to exclude me must be based on the fact that i have transgressed since my last ban. and i don't believe i have.
    - you will also see some posts from me discussing Dublin GAA since my last ban. at no time was i told i was forbidden from giving an opinion re. Dublin GAA. i was asked to stop 'trolling'.

i object to being called Troll as it implies i am here to cause trouble and waste others' time. i have gone out of my way to set up threads on the GAA forum that are designed to provoke debate and facilitate the sharing of informed views. One such example is this - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057265890 - and another one recently - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057254880 which happens to be Dublin-related.

don't make the mistake of assuming its 'trolling' . it was actually intended as complementary but a mod deleted it. prematurely i thought but there were some comments that were off-topic.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This ban has been lifted following discussion between the user and mod, on certain conditions concerning the user's future behaviour in the forum

This appeal can therefore be marked resolved

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement