Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

USA solo travel

• 11-08-2014 3:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭dani049

i did west coast (nevada and california) by myself, best thing i ever did. was 22 at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

I didnt do any group trips, I did a night tour in california and felt SO out of place and like it was a waste of money. i got lost in some dodgier areas and still never felt that unsafe...its like anywhere really, just keep your wits about you and dont hold phones when you walk etc.

i have been to the west coast 4 times alone since and im always grand :)

rarely had to ask anyone for help because i had google maps on my phone but any time i did they were always friendly and happy to help..they love hearing the irish accent as well!

Didnt have any friends who wanted to go so I went alone. first time I flew dub-atl-sfo then sfo-las then las-atl-dub and did 10 days overall, would of went for longer if i could. i used airbnb and hotels

• Advertisement

SF is small, im headin back in a few weeks. its about the size of dublin, really easy to get around. downtown is really busy and i dont like it that much (i avoid it unless i want to go shopping) and its easy to wander into the tenderloin (rough area...mostly just lots of homeless/junkies) but youll know yourself if youve taken a wrong turn..just read about it in advance and have a map with you. public transport is great, $2 per ride (you can use one ticket for 90mins if you need to transfer buses) or you can get weekly cards.theres always some "odd" people on the buses..homeless, people talking to themselves, drunk,etc. but i never have a problem and just keep to myself and its grand. i would be considered attractive and get men cat calling me in dublin but never had it happen in SF even when im dressed up..I find the men there very respectful. never once felt unsafe. i even walk around at night and its grand. maybe get a personal alarm and carry it in your bag,i did that the first time it made me feel a little bit safer. SF is so easy to get around though and lots to do.

didnt go to LA just LV, LA is a dump according to anyone i know who went there. i liked staying in local neighbourhoods in SF but if youre more comfortable with a hotel then Chancellor on union sq, but hotels in SF are insanely expensive

• Advertisement
Advertisement