Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas on where to get a reasonnable quantity of dry ice?

Options
  • 11-08-2014 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi all,

The only place I have found so far to find dry ice is dryice.ie/polarice.ie.
    Unfortunatelly, it's 10kg minimum, with a 17EUR shipping delivery, which is 10 times more than what I need.

Does anyone know of any shop that would sell it in small quantities? I don't mind if the price per kg is much higher.

One solution that I have been eye-ing is buying CO2 extinguisher, as youc an use them to generate dry ice(at ~30% efficacy). That is quite expensive still(count 40EUR for 5kg of CO2 in an extinguisher) but at least it's more "on demand".

Thanks for any suggestion!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Perhaps post here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=391

Whatcha doin'?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'm in the Biology department in NUIM and we get a fair amount of deliveries that arrive on dry ice (biological samples and enzymes usually) that is generally just allowed evaorate off afterwards. If you're near a University/IT that has a biology department you could try contacting them? DCU, Trinity, UCD and IT Tallaght all do off the top of my head.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 34 DeathWolf

Victor wrote: »
    Whatcha doin'?

Home made freeze dryer:)
    I need a moisture trap in between the vacuum chamber and the vacuum pump... the only reasonnable way of doing that is having part of the tube at -60 ish. I've been looking at many ways of doing that, but ethanol+dry ice seems to be the least expensive way of doing it unfortunatelly.

Liquid nitrogen works well, but is way more expensive & hard to find than dry ice as far as I could see.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 DeathWolf

I'm in the Biology department in NUIM and we get a fair amount of deliveries that arrive on dry ice (biological samples and enzymes usually) that is generally just allowed evaorate off afterwards. If you're near a University/IT that has a biology department you could try contacting them? DCU, Trinity, UCD and IT Tallaght all do off the top of my head.

Would be good if I could find someone at trinity college that receives that kind of package:)(it's almost next door)

Anyone working in the biology dept of trinity?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

You could ask over here

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
Advertisement