Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a push to take the final plunge..

Options
  • 11-08-2014 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

I need a bit of inspiration, have a WHV for Oz, have to be there by next month, but am getting a serious case of cold feet!! Suppose to have in my notice at work this week….. :eek:

I would be travelling alone, im in my early 30s, I intend to fly into Brisbane and travel down over land to Sydney, and then onto Melbourne, possibly pick up jobs as I go, not have a fixed time frame. Is it easy to find work? Anything I can do before I go to help get work?

Then return through Thailand, travel around for a few weeks.

My job is boring me and ive never done the whole travel thing, Im sh1tting it at the thought of doing it on my own the last few weeks, although before that I was fine…anyone any words of wisdom for me?

Is it easy to meet people while travelling? Should I book a return ticket, or wait and see if I get work and like it?

I know a lot say only go for a few months and end up staying a lot longer...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭NZ_2014

Would you be able to get a job if you come back to Ireland?

You might like it in Australia, most people do, you might not want to come back, could you get a skilled visa like a 487 or 189 to stay longer?

Its easy to meet people in hostels etc, if your friendly should be no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 niterain84

kate07 wrote: »
    I need a bit of inspiration, have a WHV for Oz, have to be there by next month, but am getting a serious case of cold feet!! Suppose to have in my notice at work this week….. :eek:

I would be travelling alone, im in my early 30s, I intend to fly into Brisbane and travel down over land to Sydney, and then onto Melbourne, possibly pick up jobs as I go, not have a fixed time frame. Is it easy to find work? Anything I can do before I go to help get work?

Then return through Thailand, travel around for a few weeks.

My job is boring me and ive never done the whole travel thing, Im sh1tting it at the thought of doing it on my own the last few weeks, although before that I was fine…anyone any words of wisdom for me?

Is it easy to meet people while travelling? Should I book a return ticket, or wait and see if I get work and like it?

I know a lot say only go for a few months and end up staying a lot longer...

I would say go for it! you have listed at least three reasons why you want to:

1. You HAVE the visa to go. In another month you wont have this option. You say you are over 30 so you will NEVER have the possibility to get the WHV again.

2. Your job is BORING. I have yet to meet a person that said " I wish i hadnt travelled and stayed in my boring job". You have your whole life to work, this is just 1 year to travel and do other things, see other places, Make the most of it.

3. You have never done the whole travel thing. You are worried about travelling alone. Dont be. There are thousands and thousands of people on the WHV in the same situation as you. Hostels are a great way to meet people. You are never really alone and its really easy to make friends. The first week or so may be strange and you may wonder if you have made the right decision but honestly u will meet so many people that you wont feel alone. Have a go in Oz, if you dont like it after you can always leave, but give it time.

I went to OZ on my own in 2008, I had the same feelings as you. The first couple of weeks took a bit of getting used to but I met people really quickly. I thought I would stay in Oz for a while but I ended up staying 2 years. The time just flew by. Then I went to NZ on the WHV, then Canada WHV, asia, south america etc and ended up getting married to a girl I met along the way. I have only just come back to Ireland a few months ago after been away for 6 years. Im not recommending that. But the point Im trying to make is that I was nervous and had doubts and almost didnt go because I had to go alone to Oz in the first place. I would have missed out on some great experiences if I hadnt have went. I soon realised i was worrying about nothing, i met so many people that were travelling alone, Its really common actually!!. It gives you confidence too having to go out and meet new people.

Thailand is beautiful, definetly recommend it. I went there on a holiday there with people I had met from OZ. You dont want to miss out on it!!!

So the choice is yours, you can stay in your boring job, or you can decide to step out of your comfort zone and have a once in a lifetime experience................

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

I was almost in the same situation as you.

I left it until 3 days before my Visa expired to come over, it took me ages to decide should I or not..

I came over on my own to Sydney and to cut a long story short it's the best decision I ever made and I wasted a year at home deciding should I go or not.

The post above this sums it up perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Just to add if you have had enough of Australia after a few months you can still get by in South-east Asia with very little and you'll meet loads of fellow backpackers. When i did an Round the World ticket years ago I spent less in five months in SE Asia than three weeks in Australia!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kate07

Thanks guys, thats just what i need!! going checking out flights and prices now, think i just started to panic and over think it..a lot!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

I'd suggest you just go and do.

Don't get stressed about making friends/meeting people, it mostly just happens especially in hostels and back packer jobs. Even if its not your scene there are always Irish people everywhere over here.

When I came over to Oz I got a full time career type job right away and to be honest I'm almost sorry now I didn't travel on my own for awhile. All my friends who did had a great time and made loads of friends.

Enjoy!

Advertisement