Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to practice driving within 15 mins drive of city centre?

Options
  • 11-08-2014 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a big car park/industrial estate/space suitable to bring a beginner driver?

I live in city centre so anywhere within a 10-15 min drive north or south would suit.

Ideally a place that would enable the driver to get into third gear!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I taught my wife to drive in Glasnevin Industrial estate. Very quiet in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭WhyTheFace

De Bhál wrote: »
    I taught my wife to drive in Glasnevin Industrial estate. Very quiet in the evenings.

Brilliant, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

I did my first bit of driving in UCD, not too far from the city centre.

Vorsprung wrote: »
    I did my first bit of driving in UCD, not too far from the city centre.

Cheers I went out there the other night but there seemed to be a fair bit of maintenance going on in several car parks.

I've to wait 3 weeks for next available theory test and then it will take 2-3 weeks to get provisional licence in post, so essentially have to wait 6 weeks before I can go on the open road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

WhyTheFace wrote: »
    Cheers I went out there the other night but there seemed to be a fair bit of maintenance going on in several car parks.

I've to wait 3 weeks for next available theory test and then it will take 2-3 weeks to get provisional licence in post, so essentially have to wait 6 weeks before I can go on the open road.

Are you sure that's legal? The roads in UCD are public roads, if you've no licence you shouldn't be driving there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,336 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Any place to which the public has access with a car is a "public place" and you are not permitted to operate a car in such a place without a licence. Insurance issues would also arise. You'd be better waiting the extra few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Insurance isn't valid without a licence, you should really wait till you have your licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Id second glasnevin industrial estate. Been down there a few evenings before and its very quiet. Mod Snipped

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Mod Snipped
    It is not down to whether it is a road or not.It is a matter of whether it is a public place or not. Any member of the public can access those car parks, industrial estates, shopping centre, etc.

The only type of place where it wouldn't apply would be a site where the public doesn't have access, e.g. a factory delivery yard or an army barracks.

Slunk wrote: »
    Id second glasnevin industrial estate. Been down there a few evenings before and its very quiet. Mod Snipped

Hi, is Glasnevin officially called "Dublin Ind. Estate"?

i.e. https://plus.google.com/100478943172986801177/about?gl=ie&hl=en

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Hi, is Glasnevin officially called "Dublin Ind. Estate"?

i.e. https://plus.google.com/100478943172986801177/about?gl=ie&hl=en

Thanks

yes that's the one

• Registered Users Posts: 10,336 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Mod Snipped

You're still not licensed to drive nor, I suspect, insured to drive in those places. Would it not be simpler to wait a few weeks? Each of those places has security who could call guards and a ban of, I believe, up to 10 years could follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Phoenix Park

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Mod Snipped

That's a great attitude and should serve you well in your driving career.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I was told by an ADI that Guards regularly patrol the Glasnevin Industrial Estate. There main reason for being there is, to keep an eye on all the businesses but they also check up on all the learners. They often pull them over to make sure everything is ok with their leaner permit, L plates, insurance etc etc. I took my niece there to practice her driving and we generally saw at least one Guard every evening.

OP, does your girlfriend have her learner permit? Don't take her anywhere until she does. It's just not worth your while, especially if she has an accident, as sorting out the insurance will be a nightmare. The "be grand shure, shure we all did it" approach -that some posters seem to be advocating - just doesn't cut the mustard anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Mod notes: The charter clearly states: 'Advocating, condoning or soliciting information about breaking the law is prohibited. Any such posts will be deleted and the poster banned from the forum.' Driving in any place where the RTA applies (which includes car park, industrial estates and any other publicly accessible roads) without a valid licence and accompanying driver is against the law. With that in mind, posts deleted, posts and quotes edited, sanctions given, thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement