Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chromecast Apps Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,962 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

steve_r wrote: »
    Any apps in particular? I had issues with Videostream so I switched to Soda player on PC.

No issues on casting android to chromecast 1 (on Virgin media) and from android to Chromecast 2 (other broadband provider)

It's been happening with Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭steve_r

I've had one or two minor issues with Netflix which I resolved by casting a youtube video and then re-casting the netflix one. Other than that I dunno

• Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭corkie

WARNING: - Not sure but may have gotten adware from soda player.

Proving difficult to remove

https://malwaretips.com/blogs/reimageplus-popup-virus/

Have run Malwarebytes AdwCleaner, twice and rebooted and it keeps popping up.

To remove had to download and use MalwareBytes, to get rid of it.

Anyone have used https://www.reddit.com/r/PowderPlayer/

As an alternative.
    Would not cast for me.

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

Apologies if it came from Sodaplayer.

I ran that scan and I got entries re Acestream, but none of the programs from the list you linked.

Don't use acestream as much now so may get rid.

Apologies if it came from Sodaplayer.

I ran that scan and I got entries re Acestream, but none of the programs from the list you linked.

Don't use acestream as much now so may get rid.

Don't worry, I know the risks of installing random software.

I scanned the installer file on VirusTotal.

Got reports for : -
    Trojan.WisdomEyes
    Short Bio

Is a detection for a large family of Trojans that are capable of downloading and running other malware and PUPs onto the affected system.

So more than likely the source of my adware.

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

• Advertisement

corkie wrote: »

So much for VLC, suppose to have support coming for it, I tried a nightly but it didn't work.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/269272/how-to-stream-from-vlc-to-your-chromecast/

Gave another nightly a try, and although buggy, got it to cast a video.
    Program crashed on trying to transcode avi format.

Version used: - vlc-4.0.0-20180110-0510-dev-win64.exe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I used to use Localcast, worked well, except for audio format ac3.

Think that was a Chromecast issue though, it's a while ago now.
    I never DL and cast anymore just use it for YouTube the odd time

VLC for Android (Beta) now with Chromecast support.

Chromecast support (experimental)

Latest Dev Beta VLC on windows has moved the Renderer option to playback menu instead of the video/tools menu.

VLC for Android (Beta) now with Chromecast support.

Latest Dev Beta VLC on windows has moved the Renderer option to playback menu instead of the video/tools menu.

Nice - waiting for that to come through

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Nice - waiting for that to come through

Join the beta and you get it straight away.

• Advertisement

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Join the beta and you get it straight away.

Think you need to join the google+ community to get the beta.

Think you need to join the google+ community to get the beta.

Nope scroll down the page on play store.
    Hit join beta close play store then there will be an update for app.
    Did it myself on seeing your post.

Nope scroll down the page on play store.
    Hit join beta close play store then there will be an update for app.
    Did it myself on seeing your post.

I have been on the beta a good while, probably since it was a closed beta.

But here is the correct link to join:- https://play.google.com/apps/testing/org.videolan.vlc

Announcing VLC 3.0 release!

Has chromecast support if you didn't use beta/nightly's!

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Announcing VLC 3.0 release!

Has chromecast support if you didn't use beta/nightly's!

Cool. I've updated, but can't seem to find the cast option. Am I blind, or do I need to install an extension or something?

Evil_g wrote: »
    Cool. I've updated, but can't seem to find the cast option. Am I blind, or do I need to install an extension or something?

For windows version, you need to goto the "Playback Menu + Renderer" and select your device there.

I'm using the Nightly Version for windows and chromecast support is still buggy!

Thanks! They did a good job of hiding it.

find VLC 3.0 to be very unstable.
    VLC has really fallen behind in the last few years.
    Potplayer far better for general video playback and soda player for chromecast use.

glasso wrote: »
    find VLC 3.0 to be very unstable.
    VLC has really fallen behind in the last few years.
    Potplayer far better for general video playback and soda player for chromecast use.

Sodaplayer isnt on Android is it?

Sodaplayer isnt on Android is it?

for from pc to chromecast.

android to chromecast isn't an issue.

• Advertisement

for from pc to chromecast.

android to chromecast isn't an issue.

This is Android forum though?

Not really relevant is it.

This is Android forum though?

Not really relevant is it.

it is when with chromecast you are generally casting to it.
    casting to an android device from pc which is what a fair bit of discussion in this thread has been about.

I'd never heard of Sodaplayer. I'm glad Glasso plays by his, or her, own rules.

I'd never heard of Sodaplayer. I'm glad Glasso plays by his, or her, own rules.

Read back the last page, It infected my laptop with adware. So use at your own risk. I didn't want to risk installing it again, so have not tested latest installers.

Read back the last page, It infected my laptop with adware. So use at your own risk. I didn't want to risk installing it again, so have not tested latest installers.

can't find any google results linking soda player to adware - are you 100%
    sure that was the cause?

I can only think of maybe that you need to be careful where you download from - some download sites will include things in an install - you need to look at the install options.

can confirm that after a month of using soda player - no issues with adware or malware.
    great little app for casting to chromecast and streaming peer-to-peer as opposed to downloading

can confirm that after a month of using soda player - no issues with adware or malware.
    great little app for casting to chromecast and streaming peer-to-peer as opposed to downloading

Eh, I downloaded it, and whilst I could figure out how to open movies from my c: drive I couldn't figure out how to cast. I couldn't even find any interface or menu at all, apart from the very basic choices at the bottom of the screen.

I presume I'm missing something very obvious, but could someone point me in the right direction?

When the chromecast is on you get an option to cast it .

ZtHE2Zr.png

Eh, I downloaded it, and whilst I could figure out how to open movies from my c: drive I couldn't figure out how to cast. I couldn't even find any interface or menu at all, apart from the very basic choices at the bottom of the screen.

I presume I'm missing something very obvious, but could someone point me in the right direction?

There's a tv icon in the bottom corner when the chromecast is on - just click that

• Advertisement

Ah, that works! Excellent. This app could be a game changer.

Advertisement