Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Apple Iphone unlock

• 11-08-2014 3:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

I'm out of contract with Meteor and requested an unlock code. I assumed this meant I would be unlocked for good however I got this set of instructions. Does this mean if I sell the phone to someone they will need to go through all those steps and be stuck with the new network operator?
    We have received your iPhone unlocking request and your phone will be remotely unlocked within the next 10 working days. In order to fully unlock the phone you will need to follow the below steps after 10 working days:

1. Place the SIM card of the new operator you wish to move to into the iPhone.
    2. The iPhone will then 'Brick' (a security feature) and will require a connection to iTunes to perform a 'Customer Restore'.
    3. iTunes will detect the IMEI of the device and search for updates (this normal and is performed every time the iPhone is connected to iTunes).
    4. iTunes will detected the new SIM and that the 'Unlock Key' is available. It will then deploy the Unlock Key to the device.
    5. From here, the iPhone (still connected to iTunes) will perform the standard un-brick process which includes:

i. Check for latest Software update
    ii. Perform a customer restore (SYNC)

During this process, your iPhone will detect the SIM of a new network operator and iTunes will deploy the necessary 'Carrier Bundle' to the phone. This contains the correct settings for the new network operator, which also includes the operators' 'Network Lock'.

This means that your iPhone will then become locked to the new network.

Once the syncing is complete your phone is now ready for use with another network operator.

If you need to unlock your iPhone again you will need to contact the network operator the phone is now locked to. You can find this information by going to settings > General > About and beside 'Carrier' the network operator will be displayed.

Since when did operators start giving this "limited" unlock?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I have unlocked well in excess of 50 iPhones in the last few months and they have not been locked into any other networks they are open to all sims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

jonny24ie wrote: »
    I have unlocked well in excess of 50 iPhones in the last few months and they have not been locked into any other networks they are open to all sims.

So you're saying you carried out the above steps but this part never happens?:
    This means that your iPhone will then become locked to the new network.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

quarryman wrote: »
    So you're saying you carried out the above steps but this part never happens?:

Yes, TBH those instructions are useless.

I manage a corporate VF account, I request an unlock and 4 hours later i get an email to say apple have approved it.

Then all i have to do is open itunes on the pc, connect the iPhone and wait for it to be detected. Normally a message comes up straight away saying "Congratulations you are now unlocked".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I'll give it a shot so thanks!

quarryman wrote: »
    I'll give it a shot so thanks!

No problem. I tried a few of the phones here and they were supplied by emobile and vf and still unlocked to all networks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Few threads on this already, apparently what metoer are saying -the phone locks to the new network- is nonsense. It's been pointed out to them but they keep saying it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cortor

Hi there, I recently received an iphone upgrade with my company account. I wanted to unlock my older iphone 5 to use with a 3 mobile sim.

The unlock came through today and I followed all steps on iTunes.

When I put the 3 mobile sim into the phone it's not picking up any service. It's not 'rejecting' the sim, just not picking up any signal.

I've tried to Reset Network settings but that didn't work.

Any suggestions as to what to do here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Are you sure you're in an area with signal?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cortor

Yep, I'm in Dublin City Centre.

Have tried the phone with a Vodafone Sim Card and it picks up signal with that. Just not with the 3 Sim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭kensutz

Have you restored the iPhone and download carrier settings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

No need to restore unless you don't have a different network sim. All I had to do was sync with the diff sim installed. All the carrier settings are already on the phone as well.

Advertisement