Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transferring a .ie domain

• 11-08-2014 3:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Grateful for advice. My mrs has a .ie domain for a few years. A friend of hers has hosted the domain on her provider (irishdomain dot com).

Now I have a blacknight account and we want to transfer her domain. I've only transferred a domain once before (for my bro) and all we needed that time was an authorisation key from yourselves to transfer it away.

But this time I want to bring it into blacknight. And the info on your page seems to say I once again need an authorisation key for ye to 'pull' the domain over
    https://www.blacknight.com/transfer-domain.html#c375

However, my friend who owns the account with the company that is currently hosting the domain is having problems. They say that all she has to do is update the nameservers on the domain from her control panel.

I can't find a clear answer as to what this means - can you just give me plain English explanation for this!

Thanks,
    Quad

Comments

Hi Quad,

As its a .IE domain name you wont need an Auth/EPP code.

However we will need is a signed letter from your "other half", on letterheaded paper, stating that she wishes to transfer the domain to Blacknight.

You'll find the required wording and where to place the transfer order online here:

https://www.blacknight.com/transfer-domain.html#c375

If you need anything else just let me know :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Just to add, the instructions on the blacknight site are so unclear!

On the transferring domain page, the order form link doesn't work. It's not clear exactly what you are supposed to sign up for. 

Can I ask a few questions:

When I following the transfer process, it asks me is the domain to be registered in someone elses name. Given how messy this is, it would be easier to just transfer the domain to my blacknight account under my name. Will that be accepted if the domain was originally registered in someone elses name?

I already have a Linux Minimus hosting plan - how much should it cost to transfer a .ie domain to this?

Thanks,
    Quad

Hi Quad,

Many thanks for taking the time to offer your feedback, its much appreciated, I'll see about making changes to make it clearer.

Yes, the order will be accepted and as you go through the order form you will have the option to add the order to your existing account by entering in your account login details.

This, however does not modify the details that the domain is registered to.

We will still need the transfer letter to be signed by the admin-contact in order to complete the transfer.

I hope this is clear.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I do a lot of this stuff for my own clients as I do a lot of hosting and domain registrations (not with BK, but it's the same approach). It can be tricky.

With most other domain extensions (.com, .net, .org etc) all you need to do is a get an EPP/Auth code from where it is currently hosted and provide it to the new host. The host will only provide this to the registered owner of the domain. That brings the domain name over officially to the new host who will become responsible and will bill you for it. The other host won't have anything to do with it at all, it completely leaves them. An alternative is indeed to change the nameservers and point them over to your new host but the control still remains with the original host and they will continue to bill you for the domain and BK will bill you for the hosting. Personally, it makes sense to have it all under the one roof so always do a full transfer out.  

With a .ie it's completely different. The process of registration and transferring is done with a signed letter. With a transfer, the letter must be signed by the current registered provider who will provide full consent in the letter to transfer to the new host. The IEDR, the main registrar, will then process this manually and approve the transfer if all is okay. 

The only person who can consent to a transfer, in both cases, is the registered owner of the domain name. You will find it tough to get a transfer by claiming ownership of the name and disputing the current owners rights to it. So if you want to do a whole name change process with the transfer, it's a little bit trickier and both parties get involved. More info on that here: https://www.iedr.ie/manage-a-domain/transfer-domain-holder/

Any questions, send me a PM or post back here. :)

Thanks Sully and Niamh! (shouldn't use the term 'other half', sound like Al Bundy)

I think we just want to get domain up and running and editable under my blacknight account in the interim.

The signed fax on headed paper from the registered domain contact is ready to go - I am just trying to figure out what I need to do before that because the Blacknight page says that it needs to be paid in full!

And the domain transfer process on the website asks if the process is being done on behalf of another person. So if I just complete that with the registered contacts details and pay, then have the letter faxed in - then I will be able to 'claim' the domain via the blacknight site?

Because the template domain transfer authorisation fax only says they authorise the transfer of the domain to blacknight. It doesn't give my specific blacknight account details etc. Is this correct?

Thanks folks, really appreciate it.

Quad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

quad_red wrote: »
    Thanks Sully and Niamh! (shouldn't use the term 'other half', sound like Al Bundy)

I think we just want to get domain up and running and editable under my blacknight account in the interim.

The signed fax on headed paper from the registered domain contact is ready to go - I am just trying to figure out what I need to do before that because the Blacknight page says that it needs to be paid in full!

And the domain transfer process on the website asks if the process is being done on behalf of another person. So if I just complete that with the registered contacts details and pay, then have the letter faxed in - then I will be able to 'claim' the domain via the blacknight site?

Because the template domain transfer authorisation fax only says they authorise the transfer of the domain to blacknight. It doesn't give my specific blacknight account details etc. Is this correct?

Quad.
    You always pay first, then request the transfer / registration. 

Are you or your partner the current official registered administration contact on the domain or is it a third party?

Sully wrote: »

Quad.

Are you or your partner the current official registered administration contact on the domain or is it a third party?
    Hi Sully,

It's a third party. But they have no problem continuing to be a contact and they've signed the transfer authorisation forms etc.

I know it's a bit messy but it's a legacy thing which we will have to clear up. But for now we just want to get the domain over.

Thanks for all your help!

Cheers,
    Quad

Sully wrote: »

Quad.

Hi Sully,

It's a third party. But they have no problem continuing to be a contact and they've signed the transfer authorisation forms etc.

I know it's a bit messy but it's a legacy thing which we will have to clear up. But for now we just want to get the domain over.

Thanks for all your help!

Cheers,
    Quad
    The current owner is different. So that letter must state they are willing to cancel the domain name in order to allow your partner become the new owner. 

The new owner (your partner) must provide information on what rights to claim the domain name she has (if it's a business, the RBN from the business and confirmation she's the owner). This would be what you would supply during a new registration. 

The new owner must also provider her contact details.

With all that in hand, you can submit the request to BK and supply them the required documentation. 

Thanks Sully, really appreciate the advice!

So the domain can't be transferred to my Blacknight account without going through the whole transfer of ownership process?

So the domain can't be transferred to my Blacknight account without going through the whole transfer of ownership process?

Correct! It's a security thing :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

Please contact us directly to get assistance on this as you're getting advice that could be incomplete and cause more issues for you.
    If you can PM me your contact details or more info I can get one of our sales team to give you a call

Michele

Blacknight wrote: »

Please contact us directly to get assistance on this as you're getting advice that could be incomplete and cause more issues for you.
    If you can PM me your contact details or more info I can get one of our sales team to give you a call

Michele
    If I have been providing information that is mistaken, please do correct me. Thanks. :) 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Sorry for digging up old thread but I just want to ask if anything changed since 2014 or it still works the same way (hosting transfer for IE domains) ? I have to prepare strategy for IE domain transfer from irishomains to blacknight.
    Lot of instructions on internet but it is hard to say which is up-to-date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

The process has changed 
    These days you just need to get the transfer codes from the current registrar and the transfers should be actioned within 24 hours.
    No more faxes :)
    If you need any assistance let us know
    There's an FAQ here https://help.blacknight.com/hc/en-us/articles/212515589--How-Do-I-Transfer-a-ie-Domain-to-Blacknight-

Advertisement