Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Annoyed with LBS

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

funnyclub wrote: »
    I'm amazed with the people saying I did well getting the shifter replaced.

Would I be right in saying they'd be cool with paying for the shifter them selves if 2 months previous they'd bought their 1st bike all be it a 2nd hand for 750 Euro and they'd been told they had warranty?

As with buying a used car, it would depend on the wording of the warranty - at the end of the day, all it is is an insurance policy.

If the lever failed due to a manufacturer defect, then it should definitely be replaced, if due to wear and tear, probably not.
    That being said, the "probably not" could then be superseded by the wording of the warranty, the nature of the component, the nature of the use it received and and the length of time since purchase.

What brand/model is the shifter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 639 ✭✭✭funnyclub

AltAccount wrote: »
    As with buying a used car, it would depend on the wording of the warranty - at the end of the day, all it is is an insurance policy.

If the lever failed due to a manufacturer defect, then it should definitely be replaced, if due to wear and tear, probably not.
    That being said, the "probably not" could then be superseded by the wording of the warranty, the nature of the component, the nature of the use it received and and the length of time since purchase.

What brand/model is the shifter?

It is a shimano 105 shifter

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Allabaah

Well to be honest I had made my mind up not to use them for my bike upgrade even before this I only brought the bike back to them as it had warranty.

I have already ordered a new bike costing me 2700 Euro from another bike shop.
    Not only did they lose out on this sale but I'm sure it's not the last bit of bike equipment I'll buy which they have also missed out on.

Isn't this the real lesson here for the LBS. Focussing on the short term (€10) loosing out in the long term (€2700 +++).

funnyclub, take it on the chin as I believe you are having the last laugh here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

Allabaah wrote: »
    Isn't this the real lesson here for the LBS. Focussing on the short term (€10) loosing out in the long term (€2700 +++).

funnyclub, take it on the chin as I believe you are having the last laugh here.

Sounds like a fairytale ending doesn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

It is a shimano 105 shifter

That's a €100 component on a €750 bike, and you've admitted to "misusing" it (cross chaining at the very least), therefore I still contend that you've done well in this situation, and having paid your money, shouldn't give it a second thought.

If I were the LBS, I wouldn't have charged you, but they've made that bed, let them lie in it. I still think you came out of the transaction as the better off party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭fixie fox

you've admitted to "misusing" it (cross chaining at the very least),
    This is not misuse of the shifter - the chain and rings arguably, but thus would do no harm to the shifter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭fixie fox

As with buying a used car, it would depend on the wording of the warranty....
    Consumers have rights irrespective of a written warranty or not. No?

Advertisement