Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can i wash my 12week pup?

• 11-08-2014 3:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭

Is he a bit young to wash ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

No it's fine wash away - make sure you have treats though in case he's not enjoying it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

tk123 wrote: »
    No it's fine wash away - make sure you have treats though in case he's not enjoying it!

Lol no prob thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Just keep him nice and warm afterward.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 nancicreedon IAABC

If it's his first bath I would first let him play in an empty bath with a massive amazing treat (warm chicken / beef etc.) so that he thinks the bath is frickin amazing! Let him hear / see the water, and again at the same time a couple of tasty treats, let him smell the PUPPY shampoo , treat treat treat, then leave the bathroom without any bath.

Next, back into the bath, let him have some treats one end of the bath then turn on the water quietly the other end and let your pup investigate. Giving dogs choice is MASSIVE in behaviour, empowering your pup, and giving him time to just observe the running water etc. will really help avoid grooming fear from establishing.

If at any time he displays avoidance behaviours (trying to escape / avoiding the water etc.) stop and take him out. You're better off doing this slowly and putting up with a stinky pup for a few days than giving him a fearful experience during such an impressionable stage in his development.

Pups go through a fear period at some stage during approx 8 - 12 weeks. A frightening experience during this stage really can alter the dogs behaviour for life, so just take care! If puppies happily eating, he's ok but if at any stage he refuses tasty treats it's likely you've crossed over his coping threshold so put on the breaks!

Also , all going well..... pictures ?! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

If it's his first bath I would first let him play in an empty bath with a massive amazing treat (warm chicken / beef etc.) so that he thinks the bath is frickin amazing! Let him hear / see the water, and again at the same time a couple of tasty treats, let him smell the PUPPY shampoo , treat treat treat, then leave the bathroom without any bath.

Next, back into the bath, let him have some treats one end of the bath then turn on the water quietly the other end and let your pup investigate. Giving dogs choice is MASSIVE in behaviour, empowering your pup, and giving him time to just observe the running water etc. will really help avoid grooming fear from establishing.

If at any time he displays avoidance behaviours (trying to escape / avoiding the water etc.) stop and take him out. You're better off doing this slowly and putting up with a stinky pup for a few days than giving him a fearful experience during such an impressionable stage in his development.

Pups go through a fear period at some stage during approx 8 - 12 weeks. A frightening experience during this stage really can alter the dogs behaviour for life, so just take care! If puppies happily eating, he's ok but if at any stage he refuses tasty treats it's likely you've crossed over his coping threshold so put on the breaks!

Also , all going well..... pictures ?! :)

Wish i knew this when Nala was a puppy. I stupidly thought yhe more times she was bathed as a pup the more she'd get used to it! She's 3 years and 30kg now and won't go near the bath. Any other bit of water she's straight in but not the bath/shower!

• Advertisement
Advertisement