Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price for SWA

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

IMHO a domestic driveway would be just supporting a family car, not delivery trucks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭frankmul

Are you talking about the oil been delivered or a courier dropping off things. I would consider these to be part of a normal traffic for a domestic drive. If a business was been run from the premises with multiple deliveries per day, I would go the 750mm. A large vehicle once a week, I would consider that a drive.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

frankmul wrote: »
    Are you talking about the oil been delivered or a courier dropping off things. I would consider these to be part of a normal traffic for a domestic drive. If a business was been run from the premises with multiple deliveries per day, I would go the 750mm. A large vehicle once a week, I would consider that a drive.

If you have a digger available it would be no harm to go a little deeper.
    In reality SWA cables are frequently direct buried without any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

The OP is hopefully using a REC as this installation should be considered to be controlled works.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭creedp

The OP is hopefully using a REC as this installation should be considered to be controlled works.

I'm not using a REC directly. I am getting gates automated and have selected what seems to a reputable outfit to carry out the works. He's certainly not cheap and has been installing automated gate systems for over 25 years. Presumably as installing automated gates means working with electricity he should know his obligations in this area and use a suitably qualified electrician.

This guy inspected the white plastic pipe which will be a maximum of 150mm under the surface and gave it the OK. Its me that is not happy with it because it seems like a plastic plumbing waste pipe and therefore not very strong and it does not go full way across the drive being about 150mm short on each side. I am planning to dig up this pipe and lay proper 50mm electricity ducting across ths drive to take the sma to control box and electricity feed back to each motor and poly poly cables.

While it looks like I should be considering a min depth of 250mm for this duct it is also argued I should go deeper to 600mm of 750mm which is a hell of alot deeper than I planned or considered necessary by both electrian and driveway person. Nothing is easy in life it seems!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

I take it there is a poly/poly to be installed also?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭creedp

Tuco88 wrote: »
    I take it there is a poly/poly to be installed also?

The poly poly was installed in a separate duct by the builder from the gate to the telecom box on the house wall. Only problem there seems to be that the cat 5 from the box into the house can't be located .. its not in the attic and its possible it was routed up the cavity across the first floor floor hollow core and down under the stairs to where the telephone was to be located. If thst is the case the cable can't be found and could actually under the plaster! One of the many legacy issues related to my rather tempestous build experience. Of course in reality the cable should have been routed into attic where all the internal cat5s are routed ... but there you are .. I certainly dropped the ball on that one!!

Advertisement