Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this weed?

• 11-08-2014 5:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭

And more importantly, how do I get rid of it? It's taken over a disused corner of the garden and is now rampant. The stems are prickly and it has small green burrs, and it causes a bit of a rash. Here's a pic. Any help gratefully accepted :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭rvpalldway

Use insta kill from Woodys :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Appears to be Goosegrass but never had to kill it here so that I can't tell you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

There seem to be a couple of goosegrasses, but Galium aparine appears to be the one. Looks like a trial of Roundup is in the offing. Thanks to you both!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You can make a tea with fresh goosegrass, it is also usable as a herb. Just thought I would mention it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ahh yes, stickyback we used to call that as children. Particualrly nasty trick to play on other kids with that one... Persuade someone to put it in their mouth and pull it out fast. That game is called bleeding tongue, for obvious reasons!

On the plus side, I find that really easy to get rid of because it all sticks to itself. Put on a pair of gloves and pull it all out, it comes up very easily.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

That's cleavers!! I was wondering what you lot meant by goosegrass...googled it...it's also referred to as goosegrass!

Cleavers are a sign of high phosphorus levels in the soil.

Edit: Are you using a lot of fertiliser on your lawn or something? Cleavers and nettles respond to high levels of fertility in the soil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

That's cleavers!! I was wondering what you lot meant by goosegrass...googled it...it's also referred to as goosegrass!

Cleavers are a sign of high phosphorus levels in the soil.

Edit: Are you using a lot of fertiliser on your lawn or something? Cleavers and nettles respond to high levels of fertility in the soil.

It's in a wilderness corner (left to us by the previous owners) lying on top of a few years of grass clippings and discarded soil. No phosphorus, but it's very fertile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Agree with pwurple, it is easy to get rid of, just pull it up in arms-full. Do wear long sleeves and gloves and try and collect any of the little round seed balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

It's in a wilderness corner (left to us by the previous owners) lying on top of a few years of grass clippings and discarded soil. No phosphorus, but it's very fertile.

Like others have said probably best to pull, although if it has dispersed it's seeds you may need to spray.

I'd take the grass clippings and soil off it, that will only make it more fertile and encourage it to grow.

Advertisement