Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beast of the East

Options
  • 11-08-2014 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Simple Question really, Tri Bike or Road Bike?. I was up the way Glendalough yesterday and saw a hardy soul out on his P2( I think) up the Sally Gap way. I was wondering, is a tri bike the best option considering the nice hills on this route? Or should I stick to the trusty triple front cog road bike. I also ride a P2 (on the flat).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

There's two really stiff climbs on the route. One on the way out of Lough Dan up to Roundwood and one on the way back in coming up from Laragh. All the bits in between are rolling TT roads.

I'd mash up the climbs in the gears and stick to the TT.

Edit: talking about the past

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I didn't think it was at lough dan this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭trailrunner

Swim is in the upper lake in Glendalough this year, cycle gos up by glenmacnass waterfall which is a 5km+ climb, I'll be leaving my TT in the shed that day for sure. Two transitions this year to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Oryx wrote: »
    I didn't think it was at lough dan this year?

Thats possibly explains why the other event happened in Lough Dan recently.

Scratch my post above, I don't know what I'm talking about anymore :)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭MaryB30

Yes there is quite a drag to Glenmacross Water fall, it does flow along to Sally Gap but then down past lough Dan, there is quite a stinger there the rest seems to flow back to Roundwood.

I suppose the question is: Will I gain by having TT Bike over this type of course? or is the benefit in having a climbing bike ending up in or around similar times but without the crippling of a 54t Chain ring, and completely bonked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

MaryB30 wrote: »
    Yes there is quite a drag to Glenmacross Water fall, it does flow along to Sally Gap but then down past lough Dan, there is quite a stinger there the rest seems to flow back to Roundwood.

I suppose the question is: Will I gain by having TT Bike over this type of course? or is the benefit in having a climbing bike ending up in or around similar times but without the crippling of a 54t Chain ring, and completely bonked?

Forget the the climbing. I descended off Luggala on the TT bike recently. Not much craic. Much faster on the road bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Worst website ever

3 different distances listed for bike and cant find what time the race starts !!

http://www.thebeastoftheeast.ie/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

That is a cycle course that fits the name of the race. Road bike + clipons probably best setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭hamstervision

dario28 wrote: »
    Worst website ever

3 different distances listed for bike and cant find what time the race starts !!

http://www.thebeastoftheeast.ie/index.html

Apologies - a few copy + paste issues there. The site's been updated - more information to follow but the distances are consistent at least:
    • 1500m swim
    • 47km cycle
    • 10km run
    Hoping to have route maps up soon - just waiting on people to get these together and have them verified.

The race will start at 8am at the Upper Lake in Glendalough.

Apologies - a few copy + paste issues there. The site's been updated - more information to follow but the distances are consistent at least:
    • 1500m swim
    • 47km cycle
    • 10km run
    Hoping to have route maps up soon - just waiting on people to get these together and have them verified.

The race will start at 8am at the Upper Lake in Glendalough.

8am , perfect thanks

Final question - Can you register on the morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭hamstervision

dario28 wrote: »
    Final question - Can you register on the morning

With the early start, I don't think that's going to be possible. The details I have for registration are:

Thursday 11th September: Base2Race - 6pm-9pm
    Friday 12th September: The Glendalough Hotel - 6pm-9pm

(this information's on the site also)

I'll confirm this with the race director though.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭frazzledazzle

road bike and clips on ............... cant see where on the route a TT bike will give any advantage - there is no flat bit !

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Red Adair

Lads,

The Beast is in Glendalough this year,with the kind permission of the Rangers in the National Park. The full race briefing will be up by the 28th of this month.

As a summary the swim is the same course as the open water swim in the same location the week before our event. Exit along tarmacadam path to T1 in the upper lake car park.

Bike mount is outside the car park in the hatched box.

Bike goes through Glendalough to laragh, left at the Coffee shop and up the climb past Glenmacnass waterfall, asross the Sally Gap and right at the X roads to decend down to the west side of Luggala, climb up luggala next and decend past the De Bruin estate and on through Annacarter X roads to join the Roundwood Kilmac road at Sraghmore, here turn right and on back through Roundwood, on to Annamoe and down to Laragh. Here KEEP LEFT FOR RATHDRUM and keep right at Derrybawn to start the climb up Shay Elliot.

1 km from this turn is T2. The dismount line is now marked on the road"DISMOUNT T2" which is on the right. We will be transporting your bikes and kit back to T1, you will leave your run kit in numbered bags for collection and use in T2.

The run is now marked with white arrows and each KM is marked with a pile of white sprayed stones for those doing a reci beforehand. On the day sinage will be put up but we cannot do that this early as it is a national park.

Upon exiting T2 after 300m turn left and climb along the fire road (all the run is on good quality fire road) this climb crests at 1.4 km, decend 2.2 k and climb to 2.5k and the first run aid station, this section is on whats called the orange route in the park and heads back towards the upper lake, at 3.5k turn left just after the viewing seat(there is a big log on the right opposite this turn) carry on gradually climbing passed 4 and 5 km. after 5km you re enter the woods again but apart from about 200m this section is all flat with a steep decent passed km6 and the second aid stn. Here an out and back section of about 2 km i.e. 1km out,1km back of fairly level gradient, if anything it climbs on the way out, decends on the way back, passed the aid stn again and all downhill along the fire road passed 8 and 9 km to the bottom of the Poulinass waterfall. Here you turn right and climb the first section of wooden steps past the waterfall and come out where you previously passed and decend to the finish just short of the upper lake car park.

There will be no registration on the on the morning as it will be a very early start for all concerned.

Compeditors are encouraged to park in the Brockagh Community centre in laragh, opposite the Wicklow heather restaurant as the parking will be limited in the upper lake car park as transition will occupy one third of the car park. The park authorities have asked us to avoid parking in the visitor centre car park, just before the hotel, to keep it free for tourists on the day. We are happy to oblige and we would ask for your cooperation in this regard as they have been most helpful with the organisation. Moreover we are trying to keep as much traffic off the road between the upper lake and the hotel as the Gardai have asked us to keep this to a minimun. Brockagh is free, upper park is 4 euro!

Many thanks for your interest and we hope to see you on the day,

Race Director

I think there is one flat bit..............................hopefully the lake..... and 100m just outside Roundwood ! think thats 2 !

Red Adair wrote: »
    I think there is one flat bit..............................hopefully the lake..... and 100m just outside Roundwood ! think thats 2 !

Thats a great course ,

bringing bikes from T2 to T1 , how long will that take , ya expect them to be there for when people finish ?

Dario,

How long are you planning the run will take you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Not 100% familiar with the area but how far away do we park our cars from the race start? And do we finish at the same place we started?? thanks for the info, Joe

Red Adair wrote: »
    Dario,

How long are you planning the run will take you ?

run is roughly around 41 mins in a normaly oly - 1:05 bike and 26 swim

Sorry for all the questions , on a tight timeline that day for kids , said Id be back by 12 ish , will organise babysitter if its gonna be a bit later

We will have your bike back in time for your babysitter to be let go.

Re: Parking, if you get into the top car park start and finish is 10 secs walk away.

Brockagh centre is about 5 mins on the bike. Again, if you park here we would be obliged if you would cycle to the start to keep the traffic out of Glendalough.

Advertisement