Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you could relive a full 90-minute game again, what would it be?

• 11-08-2014 5:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭

I recently got thinking about the Inter Barcelona CL game in the Nou Camp in 2010 and remembered being immersed in every minute of it. A defensive and tactical masterclass. The entire Inter defence were immense. I'd never seen anything like it. They frustrated Barca at almost every attempt without getting too cynical. I watched in awe as Inter stopped almost everything that came at them.

Although lacking in goals, it wasn't short of any drama. Motta's controversial red card and Busquets' play-acting. Bojan's disallowed goal. Mourinho's celebrations. The sprinklers being turned on at the end. If I could watch a full game for the first time again, that would be it.
    I chose this game as it was the first that came to mind. After thinking for about 10 minutes, I'd include AC Milan vs. Barca in 2013, AC Milan vs. Real Madrid 09, Wigan vs. Arsenal 2010, Arsenal vs. Man U 05, Real Madrid vs. Man City 2012, and lastly, Man U vs. Villa 09 (I've hyperlinked them in case some of you don't know which games I'm talking about)

So, I ask you, if you could watch a full 90-minute game (or 120 minutes if it went to extra time) without knowing the result, what game would you choose?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Istanbul, 2005.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

The match where the real Ronaldo destroyed United at Old Trafford. Nothing at all to do with United, it was just the best performance I can remember from one of my favourite ever players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Champions League final 2012, Chelsea v Bayern. 3 different times i was convinced it was over for Chelsea, king Drogba done it all though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Tolka Park, 29th of October 2011. I'd be happy with just the last five minutes. Not sure I'd make it through the entire 90 again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Ireland v Holland in 01 just to be able to celebrate McAteers goal again.

Liverpool in Istanbul Pure magic
    Liverpool 4-3 x2 against Newcastle

Bohs first win in Tallaght against Rovers...My uncle who was a lifelong Bohs man and member and reason why I support Bohs today had just died a few months before so the win was a very emotional experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭Sirsok

United v Chelsea in Moscow, two goals , the sending off, and that penalty shootout....that shoot out was the most dramatic shootout I have ever experienced.

Also united v Aston Villa when Macheda scored.... Just these games brought on such rollarcoaster changes of emotion.... Then to en it on that goal was amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

To avoid picking an obvious one, I'd choose the second leg of Liverpool vs. Arsenal in the 2008 Champions League. That was nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Knex. wrote: »
    Istanbul, 2005.

without a doubt, I don't think I have ever experienced so many extremes of emotion; excitement, sadness, despair, fear, hope, joy, invincibility, suspense, overwhelming joy

I watched it in a friend's house with a bunch of lads, I was the only one not drinking because I drove there on my way home from work rather than watching it alone at home or in the pub with strangers. I don't think I have ever felt so intoxicated :pac:

utter magic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Has to be Shels v Hajduk Split

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Man United 3-3 Barcelona

Unreal game back in the day, I remember crying, screaming, jumping, rage. One hell of a rollercoaster of a game

Of course, 99 and 08 would be well up there too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

I miss the Premiership:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

City vs QPR is the obvious pick for me. Gotta give mentions to Barca Madrid when Ronaldinho played unreal and scored two. Milan against United when Kaka scored twice. When Barca beat Arsenal and Messi got all four goals. Ditto the above poster about Ronaldo tearing United apart. I was pretty young at the time but remember that well. What a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Brazil vs France in the '86 World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭daheff

Rangers 5-3 Shels back in cl/uefa 98 (i think)...still cant believe shels dropped a 3 goal lead

Ire 1-0 England Euro 88. Just for the passion & unexpected win

Ac Milan 4-0 Barcelona in CL final...97 ish ...Savicevic ran rings around Barca & score a ridiculous goal from side of area.

Pool 4-3 Ncastle x2...crazy games

City Qpr is the obvious choice as a neutral though yeah, along with Istanbul and United v Munich 2-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭groomek

For me it has to be
    Ireland v Italy in the World Cup
    What a game.we got the early goal and then it was the Paul McGrath show from there on in.what a legendary performance from the big man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Liverpool v Arsenal last game of the season in 1989.
    When we plucked the title from their grasp.
    They have never forgotten it and neither have I :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jiBIdtUKhs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

kryogen wrote: »
    Man United 3-3 Barcelona

Unreal game back in the day, I remember crying, screaming, jumping, rage. One hell of a rollercoaster of a game

Of course, 99 and 08 would be well up there too

Which one? Both of those were ridiculous games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

CSF wrote: »
    City Qpr is the obvious choice as a neutral though yeah, along with Istanbul and United v Munich 2-1

I'd have Rovers v Partizan and Shels v Hadjuk for neutrals, too, as the two biggest results in Europe in modern times.

The 4-3 in the 2006 FAI Cup Final between Derry City and St Pats was great to watch, as well. Such a fantastic game of football produced on such a horrible day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Brazil Germany not so long ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Ireland v Romania, Italia 90

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I guess the sheer idiocy of Liverpool 4 -3 Newcastle would have to be the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Spain against yugoslavia at Euro 2000 for me.

It was the first time i ever watched a whole match that I was enthralled with from start to finish. I would love to watch it again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ireland v Romania 90

Rangers v Hibs Feb 06

United v Bayern 99

Cork City drawing with Bayern with Germans having 3-4 world cup winners and Dave Barry only plumbing 2 hours before kick off. in 1991

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Ireland 1 England 0 Euro 88. The longest and greatest 90 minutes ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Spain against yugoslavia at Euro 2000 for me.

It was the first time i ever watched a whole match that I was enthralled win from start to finish. I would love to watch it again

Same here, probably the best game I've ever seen. Perfect sequence of goals too. Spain equalised at 1-0, 2-1 and 3-2 down before scoring a 96th minute winner. Their second goal in injury time.

Chelsea 4-4 Liverpool in the 2009 CL QF was also a cracker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Chelsea vs. Barcelona, 2nd leg of the CL semi in 2009.

Incredible game. Had it all. Essien's wonder strike. Penalties galore turned down for Chelsea. And then the ultimate sucker punch with Iniesta's late, late goal. Couldn't take my eyes off that second half!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Probably this at OT

But the 4-4 at Anfield with Arshavin getting 4 was insane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

Romania 3-2 Argentina at USA '94 last 16. Romania played some lovely stuff in that WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Aston Villa 1-0 Newcastle May 2009.

Why? Because i'm a masochist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Cork City 0 - 1 Wexford Youths, League Cup semi final 2008

Currently my best footballing memory, but could be overhauled if the Youths make the play-offs this year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Istanbul 05, 4-1 win at old Trafford in 2009 and 4-3 vs newcastle in 96 I think are a few that come to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Cork V Youths. League cup semi final 2008. Never enjoyed the hours after a match as much as then. Would have been nice to enjoy the game itself without puking my guts up with the nerves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Some fantastic (and bonkers) matches listed above! I really enjoyed the World Cup meeting of Portugal and Holland in 2006 too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Unfortunately I wasn't a UCD fan at the time but from the accounts I've heard from the (admittedly few) others, it was some game. That was the beginning of our run to the first division title. A loss in that game and we were out of the race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Any 1 of these:

Both games v Barcelona 98/99
    2-1 v Bayern Munich CLF 99
    6-1 v Arsenal
    8-2 v Arsenal
    96 FA Cup Final v Liverpool
    8-1 v Notts Forest 99
    2-1 v Arsenal 99 FA Cup
    4-0 v Liverpool 03
    4-2 v Arsenal (Keane v Viera)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Liverpool 5-0 Nottingham forest.
    A comprehensive demolition of the second best team in the league by the best team in the league at a crucial stage of the season.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CnWbXbbRiH0

Coventry 3-2 spurs 87 cup final.
    A thrill a minute game where houchen scored a gem of a diving header. I'm a sucker for an underdog triumph and still smile when I think of kilcoyne heading up the steps on crutches to lift the cup.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Paks-qbF-x8

Luton 3-2 arsenal 88 league cup final.
    Just a brilliant game. Luton, if I recall correctly had a goalkeeping crisis and brought in andy dibble for the game. With arsenal leading 2-1 and dominating, dibble saved a pen from winter burn and ended up winning the match in the last min through Brian or mark stein, Brian I think. Brilliant game.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OBzrhjaZnTE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

St Pats vs Elfsborg second leg

St Pats 4-0 in Tallaght last year. Dont think a match could get better than that.

AC Milan vs Man United semi final in the Champions League in 2007. Both legs were really enjoyable if I recall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

The year was 2009, the game consisted of Chelsea vs Liverpool in the quarter final replay of the Champions league.
    The game finished 4-4 (7-5 on agg.) on the night, and what a night it was.
    One of the most intense games I've ever seen.
    Went and bought the DVD of it after.

• Advertisement

Panthro wrote: »
    The year was 2009, the game consisted of Chelsea vs Liverpool in the quarter final replay of the Champions league.
    The game finished 4-4 (7-5 on agg.) on the night, and what a night it was.
    One of the most intense games I've ever seen.
    Went and bought the DVD of it after.

I lost years off my life during that match, it was insanity. Desperation to hope to expectancy back to desperation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,466 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Liverpool and Newcastle's infamous 4-3 match.
    One of the best matches I've ever watched and even though I'm a magpie fan I'd still watch it all over again and go through the heartbreak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

United 3 Liverpool 1. International Champions Cup final. What a night, I'm still hungover.

Unfortunately I wasn't a UCD fan at the time but from the accounts I've heard from the (admittedly few) others, it was some game. That was the beginning of our run to the first division title. A loss in that game and we were out of the race.
    Jaysus, of all the matches I did not expect to see on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

As a United fan, the correct answer is Liverpool 4 - 3 Newcastle.

To be honest, anybody that doesn't immediately pick that game probably didn't see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

As a neutral, 99 Champions league final, Istanbul and City vs QPR were all absolutely unbelievable matches and moments. Matches and winners like that define great clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

To be honest, anybody that doesn't immediately pick that game probably didn't see it.

Or seen a better one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Not a huge spectacle of a game but I cant recall been so entralled in a match than the World Cup last 16 match between USA and Belgium. One of the best games I have ever seen, the passion that American team showed on the night was what football is all about imo.

Ireland 1 USSR 1 Euro 88.

The first game was too tense and beating England almost too surreal, plus we kinda hung on. This was more enjoyable, Ireland looked comfortable against a team that had beaten the wonderful Dutch side, and even though a draw was ultimately disappointing think it was the game where we really announced that we were no longer some minnow.

Which one?

• Advertisement
Advertisement