Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you could relive a full 90-minute game again, what would it be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Tottenham 4 - 4 Chelsea
    "ROBBIEEE KEANE"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

England vs Argentina at France 98 was unreal had it all a new star was born in Owen and England had a new hate figure in David Beckham not to mention a cracking end to end game and penalties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Which one?

The original of course, the second wasn't as good.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

CSF wrote: »
    Jaysus, of all the matches I did not expect to see on here.
    There are dozens of us. DOZENS!
    Actually, I lie. There is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Just trying to remember some cracking games I've watched over the years apart from the obvious ones, maybe someone can help me out here, but was it Netherlands v Czech Republic in either Euro 2004 or 2008 that was an absolute cracker? Could have the teams wrong, also seem to remember Portugal being involved in a brilliant game in one of those tournaments too, possibly against the Netherlands or Czech Republic as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

As a Liverpool fan, there has been so many games but the obvious is gonna be Istanbul. The 2001 and 2006 FA cup finals come next. Then the Collymore 4-3 winner against Newcastle. I also wouldn't mind watching that demolition of Arsenal from last season again TBH :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

That I watched on tv: Spain v Yugoslavia Euro 2000

That I went to in person: Liverpool v Newcastle at Anfield in the league in 1996

Both ended 4-3. Would relive either happily! The Newcastle game I've seen the footage of since and it was an incredible game of football, think the whole thing is on YouTube for those too young

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Leicester City v Palace, Div 2, January 2nd 1988

4-4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

There are dozens of us. DOZENS!
    Actually, I lie. There is not.
    Even still, it was no classic, nor was it a memorable win for anyone!! Y'all have surely had more memorable moments than a 2-2 draw against us!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

My two would involve barcelona.
    I was at barcelona against osasuna in the nou camp when ronaldinho was in his pomp and he put on a masterclass that night. A young messi was also playing that night and you could see then he was going to be a superstar.
    The 2011 CL final between barca and utd was one of the best team performances Ive ever seen. From just after half time till about 70 minutes was relentless stuff and as good a 25 minutes as Ive ever seen. Ji sung park getting jelly legs for one of the goals and fabio getting cramp before the hour mark showed the intensity of the pressure they were being put under.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Celtic 4 - 3 Juventus. Surreal is the only word you can describe being at that game, to beat that team and to get knocked out after it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Barcelona vs Man Utd Champions League final 2011. The crowning moment for a team that came as close to perfection as possible. They ended the season with the most beautiful performance in the final, that it was in Wembley, that Abidal lifted the trophy, it was so emotional, as sweet a footballer moment as I can remember.

Barcelona 5-0 Real Madrid, a football wakeup call to the world incase they'd missed the earlier messages.

Chelsea vs Liverpool 2009, man I loved Guus Hiddink and Liverpool encountered a Drogba in top form that night, his performances in both legs have stuck with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

When Liverpool beat city 3-2 last April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Newcastle - barca 97 CL game

The one with the asprilla hatrick ;)

Or THAT 5-0, yup that would be the Newcastle 5-0 Man Utd one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Hard to choose between beating United 4-1 at OT in 2008 or beating Madrid 4-0 the previous week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Celtic 4 - 3 Juventus. Surreal is the only word you can describe being at that game, to beat that team and to get knocked out after it all.

That was an amazing night, with an incredible ending , sutton was quality.possibly surpassed by the home game v Liverpool, which although scoreless, was amazing for the noise of the crowd and the atmosphere generally. I still watch it sometimes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Tolka Park, 29th of October 2011. I'd be happy with just the last five minutes. Not sure I'd make it through the entire 90 again.

Would be mine too. I felt an emotion that night that I'm unlikely to ever feel again. I hugged complete strangers, bellowed some unrecognisable, alien sound and was in a higher state of consciousness as soon as the ball left Cummins head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,868 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Ireland VS Italy USA 94. Due to family connections in NY my then 15 year old self went over for a month that summer and went to a few games in Giants Stadium. One of which was Ireland Vs Italy. From arriving at the stadium and seeing not half green and half blue as expected due to the city demographic.. but just what seemed like the whole of the Meadlowlands taken over by Irish. Some atmosphere... Being behind the opposite goal and watching Houghton's looping shot beat Pagliuca and dip under the bar... Seemed like an age but the elation was instant and deafening... McGrath's performance.. Arguably the greatest performance of an Irish player in a green shirt, a master class in classy centre back play, the Italians should have thrown in the towel, Baresi even applauded ... Keane was magnificent as were they all. To relieve that would be cheating though as those moments are special.. Once in a lifetime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Arsenal vs Liverpool april 09 when we drew 4 all with arshavin scoring all of our goals, he may have been a bit of a one hit wonder but he pulled it together that day!

2005 fa cup final when we beat united on penalties, would love to watch it again just to see vieira score his last goal for us in an arsenal shirt!

2006 world cup quarter final, england vs portugal, I think I might just have a thing for penalty shootouts :p

7-5 against reading as well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Giggsy_

Man Utd 8-2 Arsenal (First time ever at OT what a game) Not involving United would have to be Liverpool 4-3 Newcastle (I'll always remember Kevin Keegan lying over the advertising board in shock)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Tolka Park, 29th of October 2011. I'd be happy with just the last five minutes. Not sure I'd make it through the entire 90 again.

This.

I broke my ankle the night before, but refused to go to the hospital because I knew I'd be put in plaster and wouldn't be able to go to Tolka.

So obviously, I self medicated with a bottle of captain morgan and a ton of strong painkillers on the bus going up. Didn't feel any pain from my ankle as a result, but I was fairly out of it by the time I got to Tolka. Sneaky naggin in the jacket as well to keep me going during the match.

As for the game... Tell ya the truth Brandt I don't remember most of it.

I was in trouble the next day when the booze wore off I can tell ya. My ankle was a weird combination of black/yellow/purple and about three times it's normal size.

So yeah, I'd like to relive that game again. Or for the first time really. Can literally remember fcuk all about it.

Great video, this.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

United 4-3 City when Owen scored the winner.

I think I went through every human emotion in those 96 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

The ones which first came to mind have already been mentioned by previous posters. So I'll pick two which I don't think were yet.

1982 WC SF West Germany -vs- France
    1984 EC SF France -vs- Portugal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Zero marks for originality here but Liverpool v Milan, 25 May 2005. No explanation needed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Even still, it was no classic, nor was it a memorable win for anyone!! Y'all have surely had more memorable moments than a 2-2 draw against us!!!
    The significance of the result and the stories about it from the fans that was there were the main reasons for my choice.

I tend to miss memorable games. Last season's 2-0 win over Rovers when they battered us for 90 minutes would be up there as well. But I missed that too. And also missed the 5-4 win against Drogheda when we were 4-2 down at 80 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

2002 - Feyenoord 2 Newcastle 3: With both teams needing a win to progress to the next round of the CL. Newcastle went two nil up into the second half. Feyenoord came back and made it 2-2. With both teams going for it in the final minutes, Craig Bellamy slotted home after Dyer's shot was saved to send Newcastle through. Probably Newcastle's finest moment under Bobby Robson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Winning the UCL against Bayern, I'll never forget their slogan building up to it.

"Our city, Our stadium, Our trophy"

:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Rovers 2-1 Bohs 2009
    Barcelona 3-2 Valencia, 2001
    Barcelona 5-0 Real Madrid 2010
    Real Madrid 1-2 Barcelona, 2004
    Pats 3-2 Rovers, FAI Cup 2003
    Leicester City 3-3 Arsenal, 1997
    United 7-1 Roma, 2007

I thought a few Utd fans would pick the Roma game.
    MrKingsley wrote: »
    Spain against yugoslavia at Euro 2000 for me.

It was the first time i ever watched a whole match that I was enthralled with from start to finish. I would love to watch it again

Excellent shout

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Euro 88
    Ireland 1 - 0 England
    What a summer that was - Sorchio! I remember it was absolutely roasting that day, went to the beach that morning then watched the game later on wearing my imitation Ireland jersey with no. 8 on the back!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Ireland 1 - 0 Holland.

Remember watching it in the living room, we'd a man sent off and all, was expecting to be thumped because the Dutch had such a good side (though we'd nearly beaten them previously in a 2-2 draw in Amsterdam).

When McAteer scored that goal I hit the roof, was so happy. I don't think we've beaten a big side like that since in a competition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Augmerson wrote: »
    Ireland 1 - 0 Holland.

Remember watching it in the living room, we'd a man sent off and all, was expecting to be thumped because the Dutch had such a good side (though we'd nearly beaten them previously in a 2-2 draw in Amsterdam).

When McAteer scored that goal I hit the roof, was so happy. I don't think we've beaten a big side like that since in a competition.

Watched that on the big screen in Slane. Some day, I was going rounds with a mate and can remember buying the 22nd round of pints and had a good few more after getting separated and buzzing off a load of randomers . Such a mess, I was actually hallucinating by the end of the night, thought there was a roof on the place and all :pac:
    But yeah, great match.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

United 3-2 Liverpool at OT 2009.

Had it all. Berbatov hat trick and first time to see Scholes in the flash.

It being my first game at OT made it all the more sweet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Watched that on the big screen in Slane. Some day, I was going rounds with a mate and can remember buying the 22nd round of pints and had a good few more after getting separated and buzzing off a load of randomers . Such a mess, I was actually hallucinating by the end of the night, thought there was a roof on the place and all :pac:
    But yeah, great match.

It seems you're still hallucinating :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Ireland 1 - 0 Holland.

I would go for this too. 12 years old, at it, and the stadium was beyond mental when the goal went in. If a dart went under the West Stand at the right moment it probably would've seemed like it was falling down!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Has to be Shels v Hajduk Split

Definitely. Wouldn't want to relive the hangover the next day though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I recently got thinking about the Inter Barcelona CL game in the Nou Camp in 2010 and remembered being immersed in every minute of it. A defensive and tactical masterclass. The entire Inter defence were immense. I'd never seen anything like it. They frustrated Barca at almost every attempt without getting too cynical. I watched in awe as Inter stopped almost everything that came at them.

Although lacking in goals, it wasn't short of any drama. Motta's controversial red card and Busquets' play-acting. Bojan's disallowed goal. Mourinho's celebrations. The sprinklers being turned on at the end. If I could watch a full game for the first time again, that would be it.
    I chose this game as it was the first that came to mind. After thinking for about 10 minutes, I'd include AC Milan vs. Barca in 2013, AC Milan vs. Real Madrid 09, Wigan vs. Arsenal 2010, Arsenal vs. Man U 05, Real Madrid vs. Man City 2012, and lastly, Man U vs. Villa 09 (I've hyperlinked them in case some of you don't know which games I'm talking about)

So, I ask you, if you could watch a full 90-minute game (or 120 minutes if it went to extra time) without knowing the result, what game would you choose?

This is exactly the game I was thinking of entering this thread. Didn't even expect it to be mentioned, so few people really remember it when discussing great games. It is possibly the greatest one I've ever seen.

This was Barcelona at the very peak of their powers. Mourinho knew he couldn't compete in a passing game and just made sure to nullify the Barca attack. Every single Inter player knew their job and carried it out to perfection.

Cemented my belief as Mourinho being the greatest manager in the modern game proving he could adapt any strategy to any team and get the required result.

Someone please tell me where I can watch this again in its entirety.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Not techinically 90 mins but Derry v Finn Harps 2003, relegation/promotion playoff. Derry up 1-0 until Harps equalised in the 95th minute (with McHugh doing a celebration on the greyhound track to wind Derry fans up), only then for Liam Coyle to come on and score his final goal for Derry in the 101st minute to keep us up.

Amazing stuff.

Gretna 1 - 5 Derry in the UEFA cup was another great 90 mins as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭blackwhite

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xiuhsp_juventus-2-3-manchester-united-cl-1999-semi-final_sport

Surprised that no United fan has picked this one.

In a season of comebacks, this one always stood out. Juve were the powerhouse of Europe at the time, having contested the three previous finals and winning in 1996.
    2 down after 11 minutes, and playing their fourth game in the space of 10 days (including two epic FA Cup semi-finals against Arsenal - the replay would also be a game I'd love to sit through again) it was one of the greatest away displays United have ever given in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭Nuigforce

More my own circumstance than the game, but watching the euro 2012 final at a Spanish holiday resort surrounded by exotic dancers and ~2000 Spaniards. Even through the haze the way they took Italy apart was a testament to the level they had reached, and the celebrations after Torres got the third will stay with me forever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

would love to relive the entire 98/99 season for Man United was too young to grasp what an achievement it was back then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Spurs v Arsenal - FAC Semi-Final 1991 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

In the flesh - Cork City Vs Derry in November 2005. Derry needed a draw to win the league, CCFc a win. CCFC won 2-0 in a pretty straightforward win, but my god the nerves then the celebrations were insane.

On TV - Barcelona Vs Man U 2011 CL final. Total domination by the best Barca team of them all. Man U were lucky that it was only 3-1 as Barca humped them from start to finish. A perfect footballing performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Has to be Shels v Hajduk Split

Three games

Cork City v Derry City for the title decider on the last day at home

Cork V Apollon Limassol the next season in the champions League

And finally Brazil v Italy in the 1982 World Cup. That Brazilian team was the best team I have ever seen.

And for me Socrates was the best player I have ever seen. A great player and a great man interested in not just football but social justice and the rights of society as well. Not like the eejits you get now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Ireland 1 - 0 Holland.

Great day! I was in Slane watching it, everybody going mental

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MarkSRFC21

Shamrock rovers vs partizan Belgrade in Belgrade. Rovers into the Europa league group stages. The greatest night of my life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MarkSRFC21

2009: Rovers vs bohs. Gary twigg with 2 headers in injury time. Really kicked off the Michael O Neill era

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Crackle

Just trying to remember some cracking games I've watched over the years apart from the obvious ones, maybe someone can help me out here, but was it Netherlands v Czech Republic in either Euro 2004 or 2008 that was an absolute cracker? Could have the teams wrong, also seem to remember Portugal being involved in a brilliant game in one of those tournaments too, possibly against the Netherlands or Czech Republic as well.
    The very game I was thinking of, at Euro 2004. The Dutch went 2 up if I remember correctly (I think there may also have been controversy about van Nistelrooy being miles offside in the build up to one goal). Czech Republic came back to win 3-2 with Nedved in particular outstanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

MarkSRFC21 wrote: »
    Shamrock rovers vs partizan Belgrade in Belgrade. Rovers into the Europa league group stages. The greatest night of my life.
    Did you go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

World Cup Semi Final 2006

Italy 2 - 0 Germany (AET)

An almost perfect game of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Liverpool versus Real Madrid in 2009 . Liverpool where magnificent that night .

• Advertisement
Advertisement