Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

If you could relive a full 90-minute game again, what would it be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Bohs 4-0 Shamrock Rovers in July 2012.

Our band of kids absolutely humbled a primadonna laden Rovers outfit fresh off their European antics. It was unbelievably surreal to experience live in the flesh. Really summed up to me what football is all about.

Honourable mention: Bohs vs Derry in the FAI cup final 2008 in the RDS, won on penos after a 2-2 cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MarkSRFC21

Omackeral wrote: »

Our band of kids absolutely humbled a primadonna laden Rovers outfit fresh off their European antics. It was unbelievably surreal to experience live in the flesh. Really summed up to me what football is all about.

Honourable mention: Bohs vs Derry in the FAI cup final 2008 in the RDS, won on penos after a 2-2 cracker.

In fairness, it was a completely different team to the one that had gotten into Europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

MarkSRFC21 wrote: »
    In fairness, it was a completely different team to the one that had gotten into Europe

Ok then. Santry 4-6 :p

CSF wrote: »
    Did you go?

No I went to the home leg but Belgrade itself was just a bit too hard to get too. Just watching it was incredible though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

No I went to the home leg but Belgrade itself was just a bit too hard to get too. Just watching it was incredible though

Were you on a stool... In a bar? :)

Ok then. Santry 4-6 :p

Certainly wouldn't like to relive those two hammerings!

Were you on a stool... In a bar? :)

Yes. Much better than being attacked by the 'grobari'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Barcelona 2-2 Chelsea at the Camp Nou in the 2nd leg of the Champions League semi-final in 2012.

Chelsea 2-0 down after 40mins, John Terry gets a straight red and it looks like Chelsea are going to get hammered. But Ramires chips in the most amazing goal to get Chelsea the away goal (which in my opinion is the best finish ive ever seen considering the circumstances). That goal was actually the only chance Chelsea got for the whole game until Torres breakaway at the end, some balls to do what he did.

Chelsea hold on miraculously, with Messi even missing a penalty and Torres scores at the end to seal it after running one on one from the half-way line. (As much as we complain about Torres, that moment was worth all the anguish)

Wow. What a game.

Definitely the one id pick if I could relive one match again. Remember the Sky pundits saying it was the most unbelievable game of European football they had ever watched, think it was Redknapp, Neville and Souness who said it, id have to agree with them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Yes. Much better than being attacked by the 'grobari'

I take it you skip the trip to Dalymount too? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

This is another game I'd watch again for sure, Inter v Roma in the league. Not a cup final or anything, just a cracking game of football. Only watched it as there was nothing else on but it ended up being completely end to end attacking football. 0-0 at half time, 3-3 at the end! Recoba's goal for Inter was impressive but Montella's equaliser was a great finish. Both teams then hit the post at 3-3 trying to win it. Awesome game from probably the last season I watched Serie A (2002/03)

http://youtu.be/QxWOTlCYBQQ

Edit: great commentary in that YouTube clip too!

Lots of posts about games in the past 10-15 years. "And we were all shown to our seats by this nice steward and applauded every goal in that thrilling tie"!

Please tell me at least one Man Utd fan has referred to the 1984 comeback from 2-0 down v Maradona and Barcelona?

Or some other games from times when terraces buckled and groaned.

Here's one for Leeds fans, penned in cages in Hull, from Wilkinsons promotion season. Hull 3 Leeds 4.

http://youtu.be/_BSxd2gTIHA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

I'd be happy with any of the following:

Brazil v Italy 1982 WC
    France v West Germany 1982 WC - technically 120 minutes!
    Brazil v France 1986 WC
    Ireland v England 1988 EC
    Liverpool 5 Forest 0 in 1988 - best team performance I've seen
    Ireland v Italy 1994 WC - just to see McGraths performance again.
    Liverpool 4 Newcastle 3 in 1996 - the first of the two 4-3s
    Ireland 1 Holland 0 in 2001
    Istanbul
    Germany v Italy 2006 WC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

One that stands out (of many) in my mind, the 1994 FA cup semi final between United and Oldham. United were 1 nil down until the last minute or two, when Mark Hughes scored to force a replay. United won the replay and went on to win the FA cup that year.

I was only a nipper but I remember being on the edge of my seat hoping for United to equalise, then it happened and we went bonkers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

North 1 Republic 1 1993 WCQ

They scored first, then we scored, Spain had to beat Denmark and they did. Atmosphere is the pub was white hot, watching the final few minutes of the Spain match was unbearable. Billy "f((king" Bingham winding up the crowd as well.

Never forgotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Lots of posts about games in the past 10-15 years. "And we were all shown to our seats by this nice steward and applauded every goal in that thrilling tie"!

Please tell me at least one Man Utd fan has referred to the 1984 comeback from 2-0 down v Maradona and Barcelona?

Or some other games from times when terraces buckled and groaned.

Here's one for Leeds fans, penned in cages in Hull, from Wilkinsons promotion season. Hull 3 Leeds 4.

http://youtu.be/_BSxd2gTIHA

What are you talking about? If you're looking for passion, colour and atmosphere in the stands, English football has never been the place to go, that's never been it's selling point

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

ebbsy wrote: »
    North 1 Republic 1 1993 WCQ

They scored first, then we scored, Spain had to beat Denmark and they did. Atmosphere is the pub was white hot, watching the final few minutes of the Spain match was unbearable. Billy "f((king" Bingham winding up the crowd as well.

Never forgotten.

Lovely man was Billy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Bohs thumping Glasgow rangers in 1984. I was
    parked down the shed end. I'll never forget it, as a season ticket holder in Celtic park.....and a rovers fan:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

liverpool 3-3 milan just for the fact that everyone other than united fans wanted us to win...it transcended sport....it was destiny...is was fate...it was magic...they won it with the worst team ever
    and that's what your want from sport something to say **** it if you stick together and believe anthing is possible
    but best game of all time was liverpool newcastle 4-3 which ultimately won united the league
    That game represent all 11 players on both team just going for it. before negative tactics hit the premier league ala mourinho and beneitez

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Republic of Ireland Vs Northern Ireland and alan mcloughlins goal

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Surprised no one has mentioned Richie Dunne Vs Russia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

From ones I've seen in the flesh, the 2006 FAI Cup final was insanely entertaining. Absolutely incredible to watch. After that, I remember Wanderers giving Pats a 4-1 pasting on the final day of the 2000/01 season and it still sticks out in my mind as easily the best Wanderers performance I've ever seen.

From watching on the telly, the 2005, 2011 and 2012 CL finals were all very entertaining. I also remember a cup semi replay between Bohs and Pats circa 2003 being incredibly exciting fare. There's surely more but those are the ones that stick out for me.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Barcelona semi final in 2008, pure tension watching Messi and Co. trying to break through our rock solid defence and then seeing us counter attack with Ronaldo up top. Great goal by Scholes too.

United against Spurs in 1999 at Old Trafford, watching them take the lead, then Beckham scores the equaliser and Cole lobbing Walker for the winner. I was interviewed by BBC that day too! :)

United against Arsenal in the two cup games in 1999 too, amazing games.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Surprised no one has mentioned Richie Dunne Vs Russia
    That game was brutal to watch in fairness. Not taking away from Dunne's performance in any way, but the game itself was horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Man Utd v Liverpool FA Cup SF 2nd Replay 1985
    The craic on the school bus the following day recounting this game. Paul McGrath OG, Robson equaliser, Hughes winner. Its the game that really got me into soccer - can still remember the atmosphere in the living room at home.

Another that stands out for obvious reasons Man Utd v Sheff Wednesday 1993. The game wasn't great but of course it turned the season around for United and won Ferguson his first league.

This game was back in the day when RTE used to have the rights to show DELAYED matches on Saturday afternoon. So the game was actually 15 minutes over before the hysteria hit the RTE audience. United went 1-0 down with on 64 minutes and all looked lost. I gave up on the TV in anger and turned on the radio which had the game live.....just as in real time Steve Bruce equalised. Cue excitement. Radio turned off again and TV put back on....20 minutes later RTE caught up and we saw Bruce's equaliser and then we headed into extra time - all 6 or 7 minutes of it and Bruce got up again to socre the winner. The Man Utd fans in Ireland, stuck in a strange time warp, went into meltdown a good 20 minutes after the rest of the world had witnessed it. Strange times the early 90s.

cournioni wrote: »
    That game was brutal to watch in fairness. Not taking away from Dunne's performance in any way, but the game itself was horrible.

Why do you think i said Richie Dunne instead of Ireland :p

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭RoutineBites

Great thread OP, causing me to relive some classics I haven't thought about for a good while now. Particularly the match with the North in 1993. Good article here on it that I'm pretty sure was linked a while back on Boards.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2012/feb/15/forgotten-story-17-november-1993

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Other matches I'd love to relive would be City away to Apollon Liamassol in the Champions League. 1-0 up in the home leg, Apollon score in the second half of the away leg, but up pops our European top scorer, big centre back Dan Murray, to put us through. "Top of the league and we're winning in Europe"; those were the days, hopefully we'll have them back next season. 2-0 against Bohs in the Cup semi in Dayler in 2007, too. Spine tingling rendition of the Banks at the end.

I didn't see it for the first time, cause I missed the second half, but the Sligo v Drogheda Cup Final had to have been a cracker. Drogheda 1-0 up for most of the match, Sligo equalise with about 15 minutes to go, they go 2-1 up a few minutes short of injury time, Drogheda equalise four minutes into injury time and Sligo score the winner seven minutes into injury. What a rollercoaster that was and what a way to win the cup.
    Corholio wrote: »
    Would be mine too. I felt an emotion that night that I'm unlikely to ever feel again. I hugged complete strangers, bellowed some unrecognisable, alien sound and was in a higher state of consciousness as soon as the ball left Cummins head.

It's the mark of a great result, when you're hugging people you've never seen before!
    Roar wrote: »
    This.

I broke my ankle the night before, but refused to go to the hospital because I knew I'd be put in plaster and wouldn't be able to go to Tolka.

So obviously, I self medicated with a bottle of captain morgan and a ton of strong painkillers on the bus going up. Didn't feel any pain from my ankle as a result, but I was fairly out of it by the time I got to Tolka. Sneaky naggin in the jacket as well to keep me going during the match.

As for the game... Tell ya the truth Brandt I don't remember most of it.

I was in trouble the next day when the booze wore off I can tell ya. My ankle was a weird combination of black/yellow/purple and about three times it's normal size.

They can take your leg, but they can't take your memories!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Bowlardo wrote: »
    liverpool 3-3 milan just for the fact that everyone other than united fans wanted us to win...it transcended sport....it was destiny...is was fate...it was magic...they won it with the worst team ever
    Not everyone :D
    The transcript is from the message boards of CFCnet, "the intelligent forum" for fans of the Champions, Chelsea FC" and hundreds of Liverpool supporters have emailed it in to liverpoolfc.tv asking us to publish it in all its glory.

Remember this is taken from an unofficial Chelsea supporters website and not the Official Chelsea Football Club website. The supporters nicknames are presented in bold with their comments below. Enjoy.

h3rby

Liverpool are 1-0 down already :S ..not Crespo though

hernancrespo

Crespo almost scored!

dannyblue

bot bothered about crespo, just want milan to in so dont have to face "champions league your havin a larf" from the scousers next season. come on milan!!!

Paul Mcgoochan

Stop laughing you lot, he says, wiping tears from his eyes.

LOL,LOL,LOL.

Scott Miller

Kewell looks set to come off with a thigh injury. What a waste of money he was.

davidleighfisher

Kewell - the new Darren Anderton???

HA HA HA

h3rby

Crespo!!!!!!!!!!..................2-0

hernancrespo

I've scored!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul Mcgoochan

CRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSPPPPPPPPOOOOOOOOOO OO

2-0

johnnysunshine

goal to Crespo! come on Chelsea!

Alex Kirke

2-0 2-0

IT'S CRESPO

davidleighfisher

Paying half his wages for a season, was well worth that one moment!

Well done Crespo - the boy done good!

BYE BYE Mickey Mousers - Losers in 2 finals, 5th in the league and 37 points behind the CHAMPIONS, they must be sooo proud!

h3rby

omg crespo again!!!!!>...........get in 3-0

dannyblue

hernan crespo hernan crespo oooh oohh hernan crespo hernan crespo. yyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeessssssssssss!!!!!!!

hernancrespo

Crespo 3-0!

Alex Kirke

I loved that!

'Chelsea's revenge'

Paul Mcgoochan

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Am I going to enjoy work tomorrow.

h3rby

woooohooo a 4-0 pummling would be nice srespo hatrick muhahahahaha

Scott Miller

Sorry lads, I've got a meeting in a couple minutes and I won't be able to approve any of the second half posts. This isn't the normal match day thread where the posts don't require approval. Hopefully another moderator will be around for the second half.

3-0 at half-time. Silly Silly Scousers! They can add that to their wonderful history!

Jackass1987

Kaka! Kaka! Kaka!

Kaka was amazing! Hes superb! Bid for him! 100m!!!

Anyway Crespo ....2 for Chelsea!

Khobar

Thanks Liverpool - FOR EMBARASSING THE PREMIER LEAGUE!!

LMAO :-) A few million on Crespos transfer fee methinks.

h3rby

my bin dipper pal is sayin omg were playin like chelsea ahahahahahahaha what a d**k

Jackass1987

Anyway, Rafa got it all wrong! His line-ups are crappy. Harry Kewell shouldnt be there....instead he should play Cisse. Cos he tought he can do a Chelsea against the mighty Milan....sorry mate!

I think 2nd half Milan will play it cool...and Pool will ...wait SHOULD attack like crazy.....

PaulT

So far just what I'd hoped for - resounding proof that (from England's point of view) the wromng team are in the final.

Gary Stone

Crespo's second goal was stunning, what a pass and finish.

Jackass1987

I keep imagine how is it going to be if Chelsea are playing...Terry taking on Cresp ...Carval on Sheva and so on...

Anyway Pool's defense is SHAKY tonight. Caraggher is nowhere at sight.......

h3rby

I miss him bring him back (

vincent

HaHaHahah HahahahahaHahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH and then ROFL

Richard

Poetic justice. Pool were never good enough for the big stage. That's what happens when you get into the realms of fantasy. They were lucky to go through against us.

Alex Kirke

Maybe the fools who so desperately wanted to see the CL come back to England, but cheered on Liverpool against us, will wish so much that it was Chelsea out there now.

h3rby

ahahahahah gerrard almost in tears!!! priceless!!

h3rby

Crespo hatrick tellin ya........... then comes back 2 bridge in summer as a blues hero hahaha

h3rby

Gerrard with a header 3-1

dannyblue

And there goes 5 million on a transfer fee or swap deal.

h3rby

omg Smicer 3-2

Gary Stone

Can't believe Liverpool have pulled two back.

hernancrespo

Hang on............. 3-2!

Gary Stone

Liverpool have got a penalty now, what is going on?

h3rby

omg penalty 3-3 alonso

Gary Stone

Missed and then scored the follow up. Liverpool have been outclassed yet somehow are level.

Alex Kirke

I dont believe this....

hernancrespo

Shocking! 3-3!!!!!!!

h3rby

manic game !! great final unlike the ****** fa cup

dannyblue

Crespo hatrick anyone??

Paul Mcgoochan

If Liverpool win, I'm going to avoid every newspaper and tv for the next 3 months.

h3rby

omg lierpool saved pushed it out and hit off the line

Gary Stone

Liverpool clear off the line again.

Alex Kirke

You just know Liverpool will win now...

If they win it like this... we'll never here the end of it...

hernancrespo

Come on Milan! Crespo hat-trick will come!

Gary Stone

There goes Hernan's chance of a hat-trick.

h3rby

No hatrick Crespo off (( boooooooo

hernancrespo

And he has been far better than Sheva! Come on Milan!!!

h3rby

is it gonna go pens if stays this at et or willl it be golden goal??

Paul Mcgoochan

Any-one for penalties. Shame Crespo is still not on. They might need him to take one.

blueerato

hey you blues, cant you have a little faith and keep the postscoming? Its not like Milan have lost now have they?????? They aregonna score a goal in extra time ............... bad thing Crespo is off

Khobar

C'mon Milan for Gods sake.

Alex Kirke

I don't know... Milan have really been shaken by those 3 goals.

I don't care if it goes to pens or not, as long as Milan win.

h3rby

milan will go through on pens i reckon

voodoo

Can't believe no one is commenting on Gerrard's dive for the penalty !

Rooney would have been proud of that one. Disgusting. But then again he's English, isn't he.

blue bliz

Is it just me or did Gerrard completely flop to get that penalty? I could have sworn that he was doing a Deco impersonation.

frad

Milan to win on penalties and Stevie OG to miss the decisive one. Would be nice to see that happen....

hernancrespo

Milan are beginning to do my head in. Come on Milan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul Mcgoochan

voodoo and blue bliz, good shout. Thought the same thing. As do alot of people on this site.

h3rby

Milan are starting to go for the jugular now

h3rby

Smicer looks injured

dannyblue

PLEASE MILAN so that i dont have to pout up with whining scousers singing for the next decade, theyve just got over the eighties. Please

h3rby

omg off the line again!!!1

Paul Mcgoochan

Double save by Dudy. Can see Liverpool winning this on pens.

Gary Stone

Not by a Gerrard freekick, please.

Gary Stone

Phew, penalties.

h3rby

oh well pens it is

h3rby

omg milan 1 miss 1 saved

h3rby

2-0 on pens to the pool

hernancrespo

Gosh! Saved!

h3rby

ohhhhhhhhhhhh saved for milan 2-1

h3rby

2-2 now

h3rby

3-2 pool

BluSun

This is it .. we will never hear the end of how they won against Milan.. I am hoping for a miracle..

h3rby

omg Shevchenko had hissaved.

frad

NO!

Gary Stone

Liverpool European Champions, whats that all about?

hernancrespo

Goodnite guys! I'm beserk!!!

h3rby

they win it 2 keep fair play they pld excellent 2nd half well deserved gg

Khobar

Apalling - how far off the line was Dudek - how many dodgy decisions.

Gutted.

dannyblue

GUTTED. GOD anfield will be fun

Paul Mcgoochan

Oh well, no newspapers or tv for 3 months then.

DON'T ****** WELL BELIEVE IT.

NIGHTMARE COME TRUE.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

subimp555

I feel sick!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Ireland v Italy Giants Stadium 94.

McGrath with one arm useless and showed a masterclass in defending.

I have it recorded on my sky box and the other half has been told we are finished if shes deletes it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ireland Vs Germany - 2002 World Cup

France Vs Ireland - 2010 WC Qualification Play-Off (Weird one perhaps given how it ended)

Istanbull

2006 FA Cup Final

2001 UEFA Cup Final

Liverpool - Newcastle (96 or 97) (4-3..well both were!)

Ireland - Holland - 2002 World Cup qualifiers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Red Star Belgrade - Dynamo Dresden 3-0 in 1990/1991 EC 1

Was on a thursday afternoon live on German tv.
    Sat down with a an expectation of 0.
    But was in awe of the way Red Star played

The football Red Star played in those days was absolutely brilliant.
    Take a look at the line up, there are some familiar names
    They went on to win the cup that year by beating Marseille in a very disappointing final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Czech Republic 4-3 Netherlands (Euro 2004)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

France v Neterlands 2000

3-2, awesome awesome game. Great goals. That Frank deBoer free kick (at about 1:08 on the vid) is possibly my favourite free kick I've seen. Everybody is just setting up and he just strolls up and belts it into the top corner.

Obviously it got overshadowed by the Spain Yugoslavia game but even when you think that England Portugal 3-2 game was in Euro 2000 as well! What a group stage that was.

Despite how good WC 2014 was, Euro 2000 was for me the best international tournament played in my lifetime