Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling a partially paid for trade show stand - Any experience?

Options
  • 11-08-2014 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I was in the process of setting up an Irish business and am now winding it down due to lack of finance (and progress!). I had booked a stand at a trade show in the UK (NEC Birmingham) for late November 2014. The stand cost is approx €1600 and I have so far paid 2 of 5 monthly instalments by standing order (approx €640). I have now cancelled the remaining monthly payments.

It is clearly written in the T&C's that cancellation fee is 100% after April 2014. I don't dispute that but what I'm wondering is - can anybody tell me from experience (or otherwise) what the likelihood is that the event organisers will pursue me for the remaining stand fees (approx €1000)? If they do, how are they likely to do it?

The trade show is sold out for exhibitors so they will most likely sell my stand to somebody else and get another €1600 for it (as well as the €640 I've paid). That's not a bad result for them but doesn't necessarily help my predicament!

I am not looking for legal advice here, just information about your past experiences which might help me predict if this problem is likely to get messy or just go away!

Thanks,
    Brian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I used to own a UK exhibition company and we pursued all debts through the courts. We would however, try and get exhibitors, like yourselves, to reconsider pulling out before going legal.

My advice is to talk to the company concerned and negotiate a settlement. They have plenty of time to fill the space so they should be amenable. Say you will pay the difference if they fill the space at a lower rate (which, if they are are busy as you say, they will do at full rate).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I fully agree with Gloomtastic. Best not to put anything in writing at first as it would give them fodder for legal proceedings should they decide to go that route.
    Consider the impact this action would have on your credit standing – also, will you want to exhibit with them again? If yes, another 900 euro is not much to pay out in the overall scheme of things. By quitting now you already will save the transport, stand, hotel costs, etc. and have time to devote to other projects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

won't be an issue if you approach it right. Let them know immediately that you can;t go ahead as the business has failed and ask them would there be a chance of getting any of the money you paid back (not likely)

Make sure you put the cancellation and reason in writing after you talk to them and confirm whatever you have agreed.

Cancellations happen all the time - very very rarely do exhibition companies go after a debt if the satnd has been cancelled and especially if they are able to re-sell it.

It would be different if you cancelled a week beforehand.

So I doubt if there will be any issues or any extra due - if you are lucky you may get a refund assumng they sell it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

UK trade show organisers are absolutely resolute is chasing up contracted debts and will quickly resort to the legal route. It is a big part of their debtor PR! However, they seem to stop at UK county courts and would need to pursue you in the courts here. For 1K... extremely unlikely on the basis of their costs and uncertainty over the financial status of their mark (you!).

You best bet is is to tell them to keep your cash paid, sell on the space, late space in sold out shows attracts premium rates!! You will know whether they do or not. They will make a commercial decision at the end of the day but will definitely make you sweat it out.

The other alternative is to pay up and mark it down to experience if you fear wider repercussions. The situation is of your making, not theirs.

Advertisement