Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CIT Master in Mus & Tech or Pulse BA in Mus Prod

Options
  • 11-08-2014 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there,

This is my first time posting on boards, though I think I read a ton of stuff related to the question I'm about to ask. Hopefully its not a redundant question.

I've been accepted into both of these courses (have a BA already) and I'm trying decide between them. If you have experience of either and can lend some advice as to how well the course prepared you for a career in producing bands, recording and audio post it would be much appreciated.

All other related comments / advice is very welcome.

Thanks

K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

I attended Pulse many moons ago. 2004/05 I think. I found it to be very hands on and it definitely prepared me for working in the real world. You're given a lot of studio time and hands on experience but you will need to make the most of it yourself. Like any college course I suppose. Friends of mine didn't get much out of it but they didn't grab the bull by the horns, so to speak. You get out of it what you put in.

I can't comment on the CIT course, but I have heard that Music Tech courses are not as hands on and there's less of a focus on actually using a desk, and mixing. If you have a BA already and want to work directly in audio production, mixing, recording, mastering, then I'd be inclined to go to Pulse. Get stuck in and get as much experience outside of college mixing demos for free, mixing your friends band at their next gig. Do everything.

The biggest challenge when graduating from a course like this is having the experience and knowledge to separate you from the other couple of hundred graduates. For the first few years the pay is crap, or sometimes non existent, the hours are long and the work is hard. But if you stick with it and have a good standard of work you can get a career going.

It's a tough road if I'm honest. Sound engineering is a lot like a trade. It takes time and experience before you'll get regular work. How do you get experience if you can't get work, catch 22 right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kalopsia

Thanks for your reply QuadLeo. Really appreciate it.
    Kind of reinforces what I thought might be the case. Good to hear from someone who's gone thru the course though.
    Planning to work my arse off so hopefully that will pay off in the end.

Advertisement