Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord's dog has bit me again!

Options
  • 11-08-2014 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

I live in one bed apartment with 3 other 1-bed apartments beside me, there's a shared enclosed green space out back and on the other side there are 3 houses, one of which the landlord lives in.

I have to go out there to leave out bins, that's where the wheelie bins are.

He has 3 dogs out there. Two of them are lovely, pleasant dogs (Highland Terriers), the other is an absolute psycho b*stard. He's a Scottish Terrier.

He spends his days and nights barking aggressively at absolutely everything and everyone.

He goes completely crazy every time I go to leave out bins, he's extremely aggressive. He bit me on the ankle before and tore a small hole in the jeans I was wearing. I was just out leaving out a bin a little while ago and he attacked me again, and has ripped a hole in a pair of good quality, expensive trousers.

I'm so sick of being attacked by that little sh*t every time I go to leave a bin out. As well as having to listen to him barking like a lunatic day and night. (I've heard frustrated neighbours roaring out the window at him, "SHUT THE F*CK UP!!" :P).

I don't get on particularly well with the landlord. He's very old, extremely odd, and very difficult to talk to. I try to avoid him as much as possible.

I don't know if I'm looking for advice or just having a rant! Seriously losing patience with the little sh*t.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭furiousox

Blast him in the chops with a bottle of vinegar every time he comes near you.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

Good idea. I have a spray bottle here and some vinegar.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The dog sees you as a stranger encroaching on its territory.

Call over to you landlord. Ask to go in. Get the landlord to introduce you to the dog. This lets the dog know that you are trusted.

The problem for postmen (and you) si that he postman comes to the door, the dog barks and the postman goes away. The dog thinks the postman goes away because of the barking.

Don't use vinegar.

furiousox wrote: »
    Blast him in the chops with a bottle of vinegar every time he comes near you.
    Let's not give people stupid advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

+1 to the introduction. A dog on our street would bark at me and throw himself against the gate everyday until I spoke to the neighbour and was asked in for a cuppa. Dog doesn't mvoe when I pass by anymore.

Won't stop the nighttime barking though. Poor thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

Buy some dog treats. Problem sorted. i know how you feel and now the f***** I had pestering me won't leave me alone- gone from one extreme to the other, jumping up on me now to say hello. Far cry from the days that he used to come into my front garden and wait for me to come outside, teeth showing.

Or just ask can you bring him for a walk, he'll be your best friend forever! :D

This fella is a cairn terrier!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I thought if a dog bites you, you can demand to have it put down or is that just if it is in public space ?

I just love how lots of posters are offering advice to try and make friends with dog, offer it treats, take it for walkies, etc.
    Maybe that will work, but my advice is that some dogs are just narky little feckers who deserve a kick in the ar** and this sounds like one of them.

BTW pinkycharm in my experience cairn terriers are complete eeijts.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

jmayo wrote: »
    I thought if a dog bites you, you can demand to have it put down or is that just if it is in public space ?

I just love how lots of posters are offering advice to try and make friends with dog, offer it treats, take it for walkies, etc.
    Maybe that will work, but my advice is that some dogs are just narky little feckers who deserve a kick in the ar** and this sounds like one of them.

Victor wrote: »
    Let's not give people stupid advice.

Eh we already have a warning on thread against stupid advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

He spends his days and nights barking aggressively at absolutely everything and everyone.

On the basis of that alone, I would be contacting the council to make a noise complaint: if the dog is behaving in that manner then it's likely that the particular dog's needs are not being met.

(If this seems OTT - consider what could happen if a child entered the yard.)

And I would be researching dog-bite compensation. and insisting to the landlord that s/he needs to provide a safe way for me to put my bins out.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Buy a hard wearing glove (builder type gloves), put some cooked sausage into the fingers, and toss it near the terrier when you're out next; it'll keep it busy for a bit.

As for all the bullsh|t about harming the dog; the "odd" landlord may turn into "psycho" landlord if he sees you harming his dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Im at a loss as to why the landlords dogs are in the Apartments shared space? If its also the landlords house shared space request that the apartments space be seperated with a suitable fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

jmayo wrote: »

This one is the exception to the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

I had text the landlord about it and he called up earlier (apparently he can't read texts so had to wait ask someone else). He was grand, neither one of us wanted to fall out. He didn't apologise or offer to pay repair bill or anything though, that definitely wouldn't be like him.

The dog is a trained guard dog. Which explains a lot. The dog's name is Captain, according to landlord all I have to do is shout "Captain" at him a lot and he'll back off. I dunno though. I'm not really into shouting at animals. He said I can just leave bins at the back door anyway and he'll take them out. I usually have no bother with dogs, I like them and usually get on well with most dogs. I'm here ten months by the way, you'd think he'd be used to me by now.
    Victor wrote: »
    The dog sees you as a stranger encroaching on its territory.

Call over to you landlord. Ask to go in. Get the landlord to introduce you to the dog. This lets the dog know that you are trusted.

You're right, and this probably should have happened a long time ago. Although mostly I'd rather deal with the dog than the landlord :p. I'll say it to him next time I pass him in the hall.
    On the basis of that alone, I would be contacting the council to make a noise complaint: if the dog is behaving in that manner then it's likely that the particular dog's needs are not being met.

(If this seems OTT - consider what could happen if a child entered the yard.)

It's a guard dog. And unfortunately it seems to take it's job very seriously!! It's noisy enough around here anyway, it's city centre, there's a hotel & nightclub beside. It doesn't effect me at night as I work in a similar line of work, mornings are often horrible though, with the noise of trucks, kegs, and empty bottles on top of the barking dog!

As regards children, there are none living here, but I did see one of about 9 or 10 come out a neighbours house one day and the dog went straight for him, poor lad had to run straight back in and slam the door. The dog is usually ok with that house as they are next door and on ground floor level. They have barbecues in the good weather and after initially going mad at their friends, he eventually settles down.
    Im at a loss as to why the landlords dogs are in the Apartments shared space? If its also the landlords house shared space request that the apartments space be seperated with a suitable fence.

Yep, shared space me arse. As I said above, the people on the ground floor will occasionally use it in good weather but noone else ever goes near it except to use the wheelie bins.

Bootsy. wrote: »
    He said I can just leave bins at the back door anyway and he'll take them out.
    Hygiene, trip & fire hazard. :)

It's a guard dog. And unfortunately it seems to take it's job very seriously!! It's noisy enough around here anyway, it's city centre, there's a hotel & nightclub beside. It doesn't effect me at night as I work in a similar line of work, mornings are often horrible though, with the noise of trucks, kegs, and empty bottles on top of the barking dog!
    Foam ear plugs. €1 from pharmacy.

Advertisement