Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting together a cheese board

• 11-08-2014 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭

My girlfriend and I will be having her parents and some family from her side over for dinner this Saturday. It will be low key and casual but I’d like it to appeal to everyone and be substantial enough to feed up to 7 people. (And secretly I really want to impress...!).

My girlfriend suggested I might put together a cheese board for her parents. I haven't ever served a cheese board with a dinner before and I would really like to get it right first time.

I know to serve a variety of different types of cheeses, and thats where y knowledge ends on the matter. Do I serve one type of soft cheese, one type of blue, one of firm etc? Or do I serve a selection of each type?

How much of each cheese will be adequate for 7 people? I'm not sure how well my gf's siblings will like it, so I don't want to have too much or too little.

Generally any tips would be more than appreciated! I've never hosted a dinner for this many before so I'm a bit nervous :/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Superquinn (supervalu) have cheesemongers in shop who can give you some advice. Generally I get cheese board as my dessert but am no expert. I know I particularly like the soft cheeses but do like the contrast of a cheddar afterwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭sblythe

Superquinn (supervalu) have cheesemongers in shop who can give you some advice. Generally I get cheese board as my dessert but am no expert. I know I particularly like the soft cheeses but do like the contrast of a cheddar afterwards

Thanks for that. I will certainly drop into Supervalu during the week and hopefully get some good tips on the matter.

Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Usually one type of hard, soft, goats, Cheeder, and a blue should be good. Plus get a bottle of Port to go with it - Aldi have an excellent one for about €8. Yourself and your future father-in-law can then retire to the smoking room to discuss politics and the markets. ;)

Good luck to you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Get some good honey to go with it, I love cheese and honey and bread!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭paddypowder

cant go wrong with an easy single on a ritz cracker with some bucksfizz to wash it down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Usually one type of hard, soft, goats, Cheeder, and a blue should be good. Plus get a bottle of Port to go with it - Aldi have an excellent one for about €8. Yourself and your future father-in-law can then retire to the smoking room to discuss politics and the markets. ;)

Good luck to you!

Yes I agree. I appreciate a man in a smoking jacket with a refined pallette. Also, remember to warm your cognac by hand before indulging

Talk to your girlfriend about how much her parents like cheese.

If they are cheese 'fans' (or snobs if you prefer) serving supermarket cheese will probably do the opposite of impressing them.

If they are not cheese 'fans' then serving them something pungent from a good cheesemongers have the same effect.

It's a question of judging what they expect.

For a table of seven three good size pieces of cheese is enough. Always err on the side of a lot of a few cheeses rather than a little of a lot. The former looks more like you know what you are doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Highly recommend Aldi to put together a cheese board.

Extra mature Gouda, Brie with chilies, Goats cheese, Camembert, blue cheese Brie, cheddar and a few grapes served on a fancy plate or slate.

Aldi also do lovely sea salt or black pepper crackers. There is a red onion relish as well that you can put in a ramekin and put that with your board as well.

Enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

For seven people, and considering the siblings mightn't be cheese people, three simple cheeses should be enough. Even if the parents are cheese snobs, a good "normal" cheese shouldn't disappoint. One hard, one soft, and one blue is a good combination. Supervalu was mentioned above -- they have a decent selection of Irish cheeses which might go down well. I wouldn't spend more than €5 per cheese (should be around €20-€22 per kilo), and sometimes you'll get a nice one for as little as €3. If you want to be uber-fancy you could get some quince (again, I'm sure Supervalu have this for a couple of euro).

If you're really stuck, Marks and Spencer have a cheese board for around €10-€12 with five different cheeses.

Oh and don't forget lots of crackers or bread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dice75

Superquinn always works for me. Smoked Appelwood, Cashel Blue, Goats Cheese or Brie along with a plainish Cheddar, crackers and a few mixed grapes would do the trick.

• Advertisement

Talk to your girlfriend about how much her parents like cheese.

If they are cheese 'fans' (or snobs if you prefer) serving supermarket cheese will probably do the opposite of impressing them.

If they are not cheese 'fans' then serving them something pungent from a good cheesemongers have the same effect.

It's a question of judging what they expect.

For a table of seven three good size pieces of cheese is enough. Always err on the side of a lot of a few cheeses rather than a little of a lot. The former looks more like you know what you are doing.

I have known them for some time now, and without even consulting my girlfriend I can confirm that they are indeed the former. But, we are doing this on a budget, and shop bought cheeses will suffice.

Thanks for your input on amounts too. I suppose it will be better to have more than to run out!

Layinghen wrote: »
    Highly recommend Aldi to put together a cheese board.

Extra mature Gouda, Brie with chilies, Goats cheese, Camembert, blue cheese Brie, cheddar and a few grapes served on a fancy plate or slate.

Aldi also do lovely sea salt or black pepper crackers. There is a red onion relish as well that you can put in a ramekin and put that with your board as well.

Enjoy.

I'll be sure to have a look in Aldi during the week too. I will have to go to Supervalu to consult the cheesemongers first!

I think I know the crackers you are referring to from Aldi. Would be a good idea to pick some of them up.

Thank you very much for the advice!

Aard wrote: »
    For seven people, and considering the siblings mightn't be cheese people, three simple cheeses should be enough. Even if the parents are cheese snobs, a good "normal" cheese shouldn't disappoint. One hard, one soft, and one blue is a good combination. Supervalu was mentioned above -- they have a decent selection of Irish cheeses which might go down well. I wouldn't spend more than €5 per cheese (should be around €20-€22 per kilo), and sometimes you'll get a nice one for as little as €3. If you want to be uber-fancy you could get some quince (again, I'm sure Supervalu have this for a couple of euro).

If you're really stuck, Marks and Spencer have a cheese board for around €10-€12 with five different cheeses.

Oh and don't forget lots of crackers or bread!

Many thanks for that. It has given me a lot to ponder.

I'd ideally like to put something together myself but Marks & Spencers might be worth checking out for cheeses anyway.

Instead of clogging up the thread with loads of replies, I just want to say thanks for the responses! They've all given me lots to think about and have really helped me out a lot. I'll be sure to check out everything during the week and I'll put together an awesome cheese board!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

No problem at all.

I am a lover of cheese boards, in fact if the cheese board is left near me at a dinner party I would be inclined to clear the lot :D

Could I suggest serving the cheese board before dessert (you may be planning this already!). This is the French style if anybody asks questions (i.e. You use up the red wine from main course before dessert).

Relax and enjoy the evening I am probably the same age if not older than your girlfriends parents and I can tell you I would be very impressed if a 'young' person gave me a cheese board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Don't forget to serve grapes with them!

Layinghen wrote: »
    No problem at all.

I am a lover of cheese boards, in fact if the cheese board is left near me at a dinner party I would be inclined to clear the lot :D

Could I suggest serving the cheese board before dessert (you may be planning this already!). This is the French style if anybody asks questions (i.e. You use up the red wine from main course before dessert).

Relax and enjoy the evening I am probably the same age if not older than your girlfriends parents and I can tell you I would be very impressed if a 'young' person gave me a cheese board.

Noted, thanks.

I would really like to think that they will be impressed with it!

Thanks once again for the help.

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Don't forget to serve grapes with them!

Will do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,793 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

If you really want to impress - maybe a trip in to Sheridan's Cheesemongers might be worth it (as I see your location is Dublin). Maybe also consider getting some quince jelly to go with the cheese & a decent bottle of port. ;)

If you really want to impress - maybe a trip in to Sheridan's Cheesemongers might be worth it (as I see your location is Dublin). Maybe also consider getting some quince jelly to go with the cheese & a decent bottle of port. ;)

Looks like a nice place. Will check that out.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

I like a few olives with my cheese board!! Also aldi do mini bries. They are to die for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

I think the little additions make the cheeseboard (the cheese obviously is the most important).

Good crackers for a start, any artisan shop stocking good cheese and most supermarkets stock a good selection as well as M&S or Sheridans. Definitely worth getting rather than cream crackers etc.

Quince or fig paste, you don't need a lot and it's cheap enough. Quite nice with a soft cheese. It's a nice touch.

Grapes and a few walnuts, no need to overdo it with the fruit but it also adds to the presentation.

The board itself, use the best wooden board you have or slate, not something you're gonna buy just for this obviously.

If you don't have actual cheese knives then use your best sharp thin ones, important for soft cheese as it tends to bunch up on the knife.

The cheese itself i'd go for 4 different types 1 blue (e.g. roquefort or shropshire blue which is a blue but yellowy orange rather than white so something different), 1 soft (e.g. brie), 1 harder (e.g. manchego or a good aged cheddar) and maybe a goats cheese or other soft cheese. If you go to a cheesemonger they can recommend what's best and "in season"

None of the above should set you back too much either, if the ladies folks are cheese enthusiasts they should appreciate the little extra touches.

Enjoy

or else plan B: Jacob's cream crackers and a block of cracker barrel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Todd Gack wrote: »
    block of cracker barrel

I wouldn't serve it on a cheese board at a dinner party but my god that stuff is delish!

Todd Gack wrote: »
    I think the little additions make the cheeseboard (the cheese obviously is the most important).

Good crackers for a start, any artisan shop stocking good cheese and most supermarkets stock a good selection as well as M&S or Sheridans. Definitely worth getting rather than cream crackers etc.

Quince or fig paste, you don't need a lot and it's cheap enough. Quite nice with a soft cheese. It's a nice touch.

Grapes and a few walnuts, no need to overdo it with the fruit but it also adds to the presentation.

The board itself, use the best wooden board you have or slate, not something you're gonna buy just for this obviously.

If you don't have actual cheese knives then use your best sharp thin ones, important for soft cheese as it tends to bunch up on the knife.

The cheese itself i'd go for 4 different types 1 blue (e.g. roquefort or shropshire blue which is a blue but yellowy orange rather than white so something different), 1 soft (e.g. brie), 1 harder (e.g. manchego or a good aged cheddar) and maybe a goats cheese or other soft cheese. If you go to a cheesemonger they can recommend what's best and "in season"

None of the above should set you back too much either, if the ladies folks are cheese enthusiasts they should appreciate the little extra touches.

Enjoy

or else plan B: Jacob's cream crackers and a block of cracker barrel

Wow, thanks for writing that up! Really, I appreciate that!

Lots to take in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Get some good honey to go with it, I love cheese and honey and bread!

+1 and walnuts (get them in Aldi for something like 179 cent a bag of whole walnuts) Oh and while you're in aldi they have some AMAZING crackers (and a great selection like Sea Salt Crackers and great Oatmeal ones), infact they have quite an amazing array of cheeses to at very good prices (no, I only shop there not work there !!)

Thread has put me in the mood for cheese now !

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Some really great ideas in this thread **files away for future reference**

I've a friend who's a bit of cheese buff (her family are cheese makers) and for her birthday I had a dinner party where I did the cheese plate with some of the family cheese and then dessert.
    To jazz it up a bit, I also had some strong cheddar and served it with this red onion marmalade - http://ourkitchen.fisherpaykel.com/recipe/balsamic-onion-marmalade/.
    It's really easy to make - just chop up red onions and cook really slowly. I'd put in extra thyme, and a dash of port and it's perfect with strong cheddar - and the whole making a marmalade yourself impresses versus just buying a jar of it!

Advertisement