Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do clothes from 5-10-20 years ago still fit you?

• 11-08-2014 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

and do they normally? nothing from a few years ago seems to be a good fit now. Am I alone?.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

I still wear a few frocks, skirts and jumpers I bought in the early 90s. Not trousers though, I think they are less forgiving.

Still have a fabulous, sleek ball gown I bought in 98 that gets trotted out on occasion.

Good quality clothes will last time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

The oldest thing I have (I think...) is 9. It was too big then, it's still too big now.

Next oldest are my debs dresses (8), which still fit. Then my black suit (8), which still fits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭aqn29swlgbmiu4

Yeah I still fit into clothes from 10 years ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I would have been a stone+ heavier than I was in my teens in my very early 30's but I have fitted into my teenage clothes from age 32 on (am now 40) with the exception of when I was heavily pregnant. I would be slighty lighter now than I was in my teens but I tend to be around 7stone 7lb to 8stone and a size 6-8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I still have a pair of tracksuit bottoms that I got when I was in Transition Year that fits - I am 30 now :pac:

I have a few bits that are >10 years old - one of my favourite winter coats is from Miss Selfridge in 2002. I am the same size that I was when I was 18 (size 12), but slightly differently distributed - much more of an hourglass now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I am actually wearing a skirt now that was bought about 13 years ago. I'm a bit heavier now so it sits around the waist when before it would be more on the hips. I think I'm in the size range 10 or 12 since I was 13 (excluding pregnancies) and I'm 36 now. My body fat is spread differently though so even if right size not everything would fit right anymore. I think my oldest item in wardrobe are some betty barclay tops that were bought when I was still in high school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Ah just read the OP properly, no OP I don't think you're alone; particularly if you've had kids in the last 5/10/20 years, or you've hit menopause, or changed contraceptive or medications or whatever. I know a lot of the girls I was in school with are a different size now - some bigger some smaller - but most have changed shape a bit. At 26 I'm the same size but not as wiry as I was at 17 finishing school, if that makes sense. Those who've had kids are a different shape now as well. Then as people age their waist thickens and they loose fat off their hips and bum. I wouldn't stress about whether your size has changed unless you're now at an unhealthy size.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 656 ✭✭✭NipNip

No they don't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

Some stuff does particularly cardigans/some jumpers.
    Unfortunately skirts no, nor trousers.
    Still think about two beautiful skirts I used to have and wonder will I ever feel as good in an item of clothing again as I used to in those skirts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I'm the same weight and dress size (anywhere from 8-12 depending on brand, style and fabric) but since having children my shape has changed irrevocably. My bust took the biggest hit from three years of pregnancy and breastfeeding and my tummy shows the effects of c sections. I'm happy enough but would like to tone up. My style has changed too, stuff I would have worn fiver or ten years ago doesn't appeal to me now as my lifestyle is so different

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭jennyjoy

I still have a lot of different pieces that I got over 6 years ago that fit me. It really depends on the fabric, and if it never shrunk. Lucky for me, styles come back around and some pieces can be worn again now which is why I can never seem to let any clothing go that still fits me. (even if I haven't worn it in the past year)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

I'm 25 and I have a pair of jeans I got when I was 14 that I still wear :pac: :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I find it a lot harder to fit into trousers than dresses or skirts. It also seems that their shape changes the most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Currently wearing a pair of black trousers from Dunnes which I bought 10 years ago when I worked there. I remember all us staff whipped them up because the fitting was quite generous so the pair I have on label says 8 but really the fitting is size 10! They are also my point of reference weight wise trousers as when they are tight on me, means I need to lose a bit of weight. They are currently tight!

Have a black jersey material dress which I bought in A-wear for my 21st - I still wear it to weddings. Hell I might even wear it to my 30th later this year!

I don't think I have anything from secondary school - I did a ruthless clear out a few weeks ago so anything old and doesn't get worn was gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I'm 25 and have many clothes from the last 5 years...don't think I've any from 10 years ago! But they would still fit me. I'm the same size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭anewme

i had a lovely pair of proper combat type trousers from 1999 that I just could not bear to throw out even though they no longer fitted around the waist.....
    anyway having worked my ass off to get fit recently - last week I tried them on and they are a perfect fit........

I'm now almost 45 and at the moment 2 lbs heavier than I was when I was very early 20's.

I'm in just as good shape now as I was then, if anything a bit fitter, but it's taking hard work, but Im prepared to put it in so I dont get that middle age "roundy" shape that women tend to get. I also have a bit of an ass now, when I had that horrible flat ass shape before.

Proud as punch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Proud to say I'm still the same waist size now, 32w as I was in my late teens...20 years ago! As it was the grunge era then, all combats, jeans, jumpers etc were all baggy fits so would have no problem fitting into them now however I wear more fitted clothes nowadays, particularly trousers and jeans, slim fit shirts etc as I prefer that look. I do have one biker jacket from that era which I never wear now but for some reason do not want to throw it away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭Vooice

Proud to say that I do! I use a few pairs of size 8 jeans from when I was 20 to judge where I am (34 now). If they start not fitting - it's time to makes changes! Plus they are the just my favourite jeans to throw on occasionally (for comfort & memories)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I still fit into my confirmation clothes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I was a little overweight five years ago (aged 17), so most of my clothes from that time have been given away as they are too big now. My debs dress is a little loose on me now, especially around the bust. I guess that's a good thing though!

On the other hand, I lost about a stone two years ago, which I've since put back on, and none of my clothes from that time fit me anymore. Again, a lot of those clothes have been given to charity.

Long story short; if I kept all my clothes, I'd have a wardrobe full of every size from 10 to 18. I'm a 12 now at 22, so it's a good job I do annual clear-outs!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I take the same sizes in clothes I did at 20(48 now). Including shoe size(which is supposed to slowly grow through life, for blokes anyway). The oldest pair of jeans I have would be early/mid 90's 501's, oldest shirt would be around the same age. The oldest clothes in my wardrobe would be my Barbour jackets all but one from the 1980's.

One thing I have noticed in that time are the cuffs on casual shirts getting smaller. Now I'm thin for a bloke and have wrists like matchsticks and medium labeled shirts can have cuffs that are tight on me, I really dunno how normal sized blokes can wear them without their hands going purple.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement