Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spanish Omelette

• 11-08-2014 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭

I bought a Spanish Omelette today in the Chinese across the road from where I work. As a vegetarian I was disgusted to find the Omelette was full with chopped chicken, pork and beef.
    I was going to throw it away and put it down to mistake but I thought they were pulling a fast one.
    When I returned it I told the lady that this Omelette clearly wasn't a Spanish Omelette since it had no potato in it which is the defining characteristic of the dish! She argued with me that each restaurant has it's own 'interpretation' of a dish which I thought was bull!
    I said this is Ireland and we are in Europe, and any interpretation of the dish will be consistent with the Spanish version of the recipe. She replaced the Omelette with a 'vegetable' one clearly demonstrating they didn't have the ingredients to begin with!!!

Have you ever heard of Spanish Omelette with meat in it, let alone with no potato? I've lived in Spain and have never come across this type of recipe and definitely believe these Chinese folk were pulling a fast one!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

William F wrote: »
    I bought a Spanish Omelette today in the Chinese across the road from where I work.

I'm sorry but that says it all. I wouldn't expect to get a proper omelette in a Chinese restaurant...it doesn't make sense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,793 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

A quick google shows me many recipes for Spanish Omelette with meat included. Maybe check the contents before you buy in future. In fairness, Chinese restaurants are usually fairly straight up about letting you know if meat is included or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I've had Spanish omelette with bacon in it a few times. It's definitely not something I'd order from a Chinese take out and expect to get in any way, shape or form like a 'normal' Spanish omelette to be honest. I'd assume the 'Spanish' part was a mistranslation or misunderstanding of something, I'd be expecting a box of egg and 'stuff'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It's common enough to have chorizo in it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

When I hear Spanish omelette I visualise a thick tortilla, so that term may have just been used to specify that it's a thick omelette.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I bought a Spanish Omelette today in the Chinese across the road from where I work. As a vegetarian I was disgusted to find the Omelette was full with chopped chicken, pork and beef.
    I was going to throw it away and put it down to mistake but I thought they were pulling a fast one.
    When I returned it I told the lady that this Omelette clearly wasn't a Spanish Omelette since it had no potato in it which is the defining characteristic of the dish! She argued with me that each restaurant has it's own 'interpretation' of a dish which I thought was bull!
    I said this is Ireland and we are in Europe, and any interpretation of the dish will be consistent with the Spanish version of the recipe. She replaced the Omelette with a 'vegetable' one clearly demonstrating they didn't have the ingredients to begin with!!!

Have you ever heard of Spanish Omelette with meat in it, let alone with no potato? I've lived in Spain and have never come across this type of recipe and definitely believe these Chinese folk were pulling a fast one!

Did you eat it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,670 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

In Spain, it would be a "tortilla con patatas" and contain garlic, onion, potato and eggs: sometimes served cold in a bread roll, as a picnic dish!

Traditional British interpretations often include red and green ingredients like tomatoes, peppers and peas.

Never have I come across meat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

In fairness, Chinese restaurants are usually fairly straight up about letting you know if meat is included or not.

Well why would they put Spanish Omelette on the menu and then cook something entirely different? I thought they were being pretty straight up when it was stated in the menu as being a 'Spanish Omelette' and not 'Omelette' or 'Omelette with meat'.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Did you eat it?

I tried eating around the meat but nearly got sick so I returned it. I ate the vegetable one I got in return.

Did you pay extra for the vegetarian omelette? I hope so. Otherwise the restaurant is out of pocket because of your mistake.

As has been posted above - some versions of Spanish Omelettes contain meat. Like any 'peasant' dish - there will be many variations of the dish. You just assumed that they were all vegetarian when they are not.

Moral of the story 1: Don't order Spanish Omelettes in a Chinese restaurant.
    Moral of the story 2: Ensure the dish you want is vegetarian before you order.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Red Clover

Why would anyone order a Spanish omelette in a Chinese restaurant.Would you order a Chinese curry in a Spanish restaurant? The same goes for any ethnic restaurant. Stick to the national cuisine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

I'd be picky enough about meat, wouldnt call myself a vegetarian, but wouldn't eat much red meat, but I would NEVER buy something without checking what was in it. If you want a vegetarian meal you have to read the description or at least ask about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

Did you pay extra for the vegetarian omelette? I hope so. Otherwise the restaurant is out of pocket because of your mistake.

As has been posted above - some versions of Spanish Omelettes contain meat. Like any 'peasant' dish - there will be many variations of the dish. You just assumed that they were all vegetarian when they are not.

Moral of the story 1: Don't order Spanish Omelettes in a Chinese restaurant.
    Moral of the story 2: Ensure the dish you want is vegetarian before you order.

You're wrong there I'm afraid. Even if it did have meat, it still didn't have potato, so like I said, it was missing the fundamental ingredient of what makes a Spanish Omelette. So go have a lie down for yourself and re think what you just said.
    Red Clover wrote: »
    Why would anyone order a Spanish omelette in a Chinese restaurant.Would you order a Chinese curry in a Spanish restaurant? The same goes for any ethnic restaurant. Stick to the national cuisine.

So why would any Chinese restaurant put 'Spanish Omelette' on a menu? It's not as though it was a special request in all fairness.

Jesus

Anyway, I think the take away is Irish owned because there was an Irish guy standing behind the counter the other day. Din't look like a delivery driver.

I wouldn't rule him out been the health inspector either.

You live & learn, huh? Time for my lie down now. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Didn't it state on the menu what it was filled with? I would kind of expect to see a list of ingredients there.

I would agree with the notion that without potato, it's not really a Spanish omlette - just an omlette with stuff inside. But not all Spanish omlettes are per definition vegetarian, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

I think Tortilla omelette is what you were looking for? 'Spanish' omelette is frequently served as a dish to use up leftovers with some egg!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You're wrong there I'm afraid. Even if it did have meat, it still didn't have potato, so like I said, it was missing the fundamental ingredient of what makes a Spanish Omelette. So go have a lie down for yourself and re think what you just said.

If it had potato and meat would you have been content with their version if Spanish omelette?
    Did your veggie one have potato?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭nc6000

Tortilla Espanola is probably the 'Spanish Omelette' you were thinking of, it's usually made just from eggs & potato but sometimes contains onions and garlic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I'm a cheat.

I fry off the onion and garlic alright, but have tins of baby spuds (M&S) in the press ALWAYS, that I cut up and throw in to the egg mixture. They are great for potato salad aswell, just rinse them thoroughly before using in a dish. Best invention ever!

Always yummy and so easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ralphdejones

It's a Chinese restaurant. Some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭rcarroll

I've been living in Spain the last few year. In most places tortilla (spanish omelette) is potatoes onion and egg...however, it's not uncommon for it to have other ingredients too including meat. Chorizo is quite common but other meats and veg go well, as the others have said, it's a peasant dish and open to be played with. Maybe next time stick to Chinese food in a Chinese restaurant??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ralphdejones

Would you go to a Spanish restaurant to order Chinese food ?

Enough of that. You are just flaming now.

Thread closed.

tHB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement