Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Methods of sending money to the USA by post

Options
  • 11-08-2014 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭

Hi,

As the title suggests, I'm looking send €400 to someone in the USA by post. I do not have their bank details and as it's a gift, I can't really ask for them.

Bank of Ireland have told me that they only do bank drafts for sums of €500 and over and to ask in the Post Office.
    The Post Office said they only had Sterling drafts.

Any suggestions? :o

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

Prepaid Credit Card from AnPost? (you have to jump through a few hoops to get it though...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Can you get the bank details from a sibling/family member? TBH i wouldn't be sending that amount of money via anything but bank transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Permanenttsb offers a $ draft (drawn on Citibank in New York if I remember right) for a fee of 1% (minium 1.25€/maximum 6.25€).

The receiver can simple lodge it into their US bank account.

Also make sure you register the item when sending it and be aware the customs most likely will open it in the US as they are hunting down false drafts right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Hi,

As the title suggests, I'm looking send €400 to someone in the USA by post. I do not have their bank details and as it's a gift, I can't really ask for them.

Bank of Ireland have told me that they only do bank drafts for sums of €500 and over and to ask in the Post Office.
    The Post Office said they only had Sterling drafts.

Any suggestions? :o

You are best off wiring the money via a currency broker.

(1) Get their US bank details then
    (2) Open an account with a currency broker such as Currency Fair then
    (3) Wire the money to your currency broker account for onward wire to the end recipient.

This method reduces your FX conversion fees and FX margin fees to a much lower rate than other methodologies suggested above.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

Thanks for the replies.

Not sure about the prepaid credit card. Would prefer to just be able to create as little fuss over the whole thing as possible. But I'll keep it in mind.

Not able to get the bank details unfortunately.

I will go find a Permanent TSB and see about this USD bank draft. Sounds like it could be the solution!!

Thanks all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,571 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why not just do it Western Union, get them to pick it up on their end, sending cash or credit cards through the post is only asking for trouble.

Advertisement