Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Scooter after year lay-up - won't rev - advice appreciated

• 11-08-2014 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

My Keeway scooter was idle for a year. It started first kick and headed off down the road. Stopped after a mile with a lot of smoke. I thought it was out of petrol and topped it up (maybe it was). It will start no problem now but dies if I turn the throttle any bit.
    Any advice appreciated please.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Turn the choke off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You might want to drain the tank and refill it. Petrol is most likely dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

If it won't rev it's probably got a mouse best in the airbox
    Take out the plug clean it and set the gap
    Change the petrol
    Open the airbox and clean it out
    Take out the filter and see if it revs out
    If it does the put in a new filter and drive like a crazy person
    If it dosent get some toluene or carb cleaner and spray it into the air intake (filter still out) and see if that helps

Be a sport and report back

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭hondavfr

I got a bad tank of petrol this year and the bike was running crap, i bought a bottle of redex and added the correct amount over 2 tanks of fuel,that sorted it for me. It may be worth a try along with the other solutions above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I'd bet the pilot jet is blocked.Often happens when bikes are left with fuel in them.
    It evaporates from the carb and leaves a kind of varnish that will quickly block the pilot jet causing the symptoms you describe.
    See if it will run with the choke on and if it does the carb will need to be cleaned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭fixie fox

CJhaughey wrote: »
    See if it will run with the choke on and if it does the carb will need to be cleaned.

It's a twist-and-go so no obvious choke. It will be a week or so before I get to look at it - it must be something to do with fuel / carb I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭fixie fox

Turn the choke off?

It's a twist and go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

fixie fox wrote: »
    It's a twist and go

Some twist and go's have manual chokes. Maybe the idle speed has gone low. You might need to adjust the pilot screw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Which model and engine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Try fresh petrol and clean yer airbox and carb!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭Hi Ho

I had same problem. Bike had been idle for a while and no fuel is coming from the tank. I took off the round thing screwed to the bottom of the tank ( two outlets) and it seems to be blocked. What is it anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭Hi Ho

Hi Ho wrote: »
    I had same problem. Bike had been idle for a while and no fuel is coming from the tank. I took off the round thing screwed to the bottom of the tank ( two outlets) and it seems to be blocked. What is it anyway?

I did a bit of googling on this and discovered it's a vacuum valve - will check this

Advertisement