Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Name that Plant' Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,732 ✭✭✭Worztron

Anyone know this one (the one with green leaves with yellow on the edges)? I think a darker leafed plant is growing in the middle of it (please name that also). Cheers.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/393451/319561.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

lottpaul wrote: »
    Potentilla, but am not sure which particular one.

Is it Mckay's White from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dasiphora_fruticosa?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Worztron wrote: »
    Anyone know this one (the one with green leaves with yellow on the edges)? I think a darker leafed plant is growing in the middle of it (please name that also). Cheers.

/QUOTE]

At a glance I would say its a form of dogwood? but am not 100% sure. Is the darker leafed plant a branch of the other one that has just reverted to the original colour? Check and see if they are coming from the same stem/rootstock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Not sure what the plant is, I thought maybe a variegated weigela but the leaf doesn't look quite right. Does the plant flower?

In any case that's not a darker plant growing up through it, the plant is reverting to the original green it was before the variegation was introduced. You need to cut all the dark green branches out right down to base unless you want the whole plant to revert to the dark green.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

+1 on above 2posts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I agree the stems look more like dogwood, it think it is a varigated dogwood, though my first thought was also weigela, but the leaves are a bit soft and large looking. As Wyldwood says though, you need to cut those dark bits out completely, even if you have to go under the soil to do it. Otherwise you will just have a dark green shrub.

Wyldwood wrote: »
    Not sure what the plant is, I thought maybe a variegated weigela but the leaf doesn't look quite right. Does the plant flower?

In any case that's not a darker plant growing up through it, the plant is reverting to the original green it was before the variegation was introduced. You need to cut all the dark green branches out right down to base unless you want the whole plant to revert to the dark green.

I don't recall it flowering. What would cause a plant to go from dark green to a lighter green/yellow and then back to dark green? I don't mind the darker green.

I don't recall it flowering. What would cause a plant to go from dark green to a lighter green/yellow and then back to dark green? I don't mind the darker green.

Generally the variegated/coloured plants are just "mistakes" from an original plant that people liked and propogated. The natural inclination of the plant is to go back to its natural colour. If you don't tear these darker bits off the whole plant will eventually go back to the darker shade.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_%28botany%29

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Can anyone ID this little bedding plant for me? I got it shortly after Bloom but it didn't have a tag on it so I don't know what it is.

IMG_14601_zps1712028a.jpg

Looks a bit like a busy lizzy, but I haven't seen one as trailing as that, and the leaves don't look quite right. :-) So possibly its not!

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    Looks a bit like a busy lizzy, but I haven't seen one as trailing as that, and the leaves don't look quite right. :-) So possibly its not!

Is a busy lizzy an impatient? If so, it's not rhat. It's quite small - i have in a smallish terricotta pot three of them planted. I think i recall the lady in the nursery saying its name starting with a 'f' if that's any help. I also don't think its meant to be a trailling flower and thats just happened because of the way the pot is hanging.

Surfinia?

Nope, it's flat, rather than having the shape of a surifina. Googling 'small purple flowers' i wonder could it be a type of phlox? That would fit with the 'f' spund i remember.

Oh silly woman (me) I think its a Petunia Million Bells (there's one here http://betterhousekeeper.com/2014/05/23/7-beautiful-flowers-to-grow-in-hanging-planters-on-your-porch-or-balcony/ ) I have one in a pot outside the door, but mine is different colours.

No. 7 on that page

I don't think it is looksee. It doesn't have the pointy tubular shape that a petunia has where it goes into the stem and the petals are distinct, rather than all in one.

I think a trip back to the nursery this afternoon is in order!

The garden centre confirmed it is a new type of bedding Phlox.

Hi. Does anyone know the name of the plant in the attached image? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

planted these in a box at the start of the summer but threw away the packet so don't know what they are! they are attracting some amount of butterflies!

The shrub is Euonymus and the flowers are Sweet Williams

bungaro79 wrote: »
    planted these in a box at the start of the summer but threw away the packet so don't know what they are! they are attracting some amount of butterflies!

Dianthus barbatus -- Sweet William - beautiful scent, old fashioned flower enjoying a bit of a revival.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    The shrub is Euonymus and the flowers are Sweet Williams

Cheers.

Would it be 'Euonymus fortunei' to be precise?

Does anyone know this one? A Berberis?

yes a Berberis. I think it's called Thunbergii Atropupurea Nana but I'm open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭celtictiger

Could anyone please tell me what type of tree this is....I think it's a willow but if so what kind? Cheers!

Does anyone know this one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Does anyone know this one?

Photinia. red robin

And this one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Pittosporum

Oldtree wrote: »
    Pittosporum

Hi Oldtree. Do you know the specific type?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

sorry not an expert on shrubs

Advertisement