Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desktop + Chromebook RDP vs High spec laptop

Options
  • 11-08-2014 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've seen it the following scenario mentioned a few times on boards, and a colleague was recommending it too.

Basically one would build a powerful desktop which they'd leave on at home, while they'd take a chromebook to work/college and RDP onto the desktop.

While it's obviously handy for portability, how does it work in reality? If you have 120mb UPC at home and then you're using a strong college connection are you going to have real time use of the desktop or is there going to be lag?

Would you save any money by doing this? For a budget of around €550 would you get a powerful enough desktop to go with a chromebook (~€200) or would you be better off getting a high spec laptop for around the €750 mark?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Hi all,

I've seen it the following scenario mentioned a few times on boards, and a colleague was recommending it too.

Basically one would build a powerful desktop which they'd leave on at home, while they'd take a chromebook to work/college and RDP onto the desktop.

While it's obviously handy for portability, how does it work in reality? If you have 120mb UPC at home and then you're using a strong college connection are you going to have real time use of the desktop or is there going to be lag?

Would you save any money by doing this? For a budget of around €550 would you get a powerful enough desktop to go with a chromebook (~€200) or would you be better off getting a high spec laptop for around the €750 mark?
    What would you be doing on the PC at home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Chance The Rapper

advertsfox wrote: »
    What would you be doing on the PC at home?

Not a whole pile. Mostly just programming. Maybe a few VM's, no gaming or anything like that really.

Not a whole pile. Mostly just programming. Maybe a few VM's, no gaming or anything like that really.
    Well gaming wouldn't work anyway, no real media / graphical app would work too well with the refresh rate over RDP.

Ideally, a decent €500-600 laptop would suit you much better with a small €100-200 PC as home just as a server. This is why I do and my server acts as my torrent downloader, DLNA server, Google Music uploader, Google Drive host, Plex host and my FTP server / fileshare - if needs be, it can be my website too.

Best keep the PC at home for this reason, I suggest any dual core nettop that can be mounted behind the TV for example. I control mine with 3 apps on my phone (2x for RDP, Unified for a remote and TorrentToise to start / monitor downloads). No need for a monitor / keyboard or mouse since you have your laptop.

It wouldn't take long for programming over RDP to bug the **** out of you. VMs would be possible too if you get a more modern GPU with hyper threading. I use a VOT132 and its never steered me wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Chance The Rapper

Thanks a million. My old Macbook (2010 model) has kicked the bucket (battery gone, keyboard fcuked), so I might just stick windows on it and use it as the home with a setup similar to what you've described.

Thanks again for the detailed response

Thanks a million. My old Macbook (2010 model) has kicked the bucket (battery gone, keyboard fcuked), so I might just stick windows on it and use it as the home with a setup similar to what you've described.

Thanks again for the detailed response
    No problem, that will be a nice powerful little server and easy to tuck away ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement