Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boys primary still in maynooth

Options
  • 11-08-2014 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Help and advice please, i am in the middle of buying a house in maynooth carton house I have twin boys that are due to start school in sept but I don't know anything about the schools in the area, any advice would be great thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

With no registration done yet you are probably limited to the single-sex Catholic school as it has the lowest demand to space ratio.

http://www.maynoothbns.ie/

The Gaelscoil and the Educate Together have waiting lists for current Junior Infants entry as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Catpcarr

Any idea why the demand is low for the single sex school the reason I ask is because it is the opposite to where I am located at present in Dublin any feedback would be great thanks

Catpcarr wrote: »
    Any idea why the demand is low for the single sex school the reason I ask is because it is the opposite to where I am located at present in Dublin any feedback would be great thanks

Mainly due to the fact that they're single sex and Catholic ethos really. The demand for mixed-sex was hugely pent up here and that has lead to the other two schools being hugely oversubscribed.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

MYOB wrote: »
    Mainly due to the fact that they're single sex and Catholic ethos really. The demand for mixed-sex was hugely pent up here and that has lead to the other two schools being hugely oversubscribed.

Their location in the town would be a factor too. They are much further from most housing estates in the town than the newer Gael Scoil and educate school. The limited capacity in the latter schools is always going to make it more likely that they will be over subscribed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Catpcarr

Oh okay thanks, just wanted to check in case there was any bigger issues

• Advertisement

bg07 wrote: »
    Their location in the town would be a factor too. They are much further from most housing estates in the town than the newer Gael Scoil and educate school. The limited capacity in the latter schools is always going to make it more likely that they will be over subscribed.

That definitely has some impact, although the Gaelscoil was oversubscribed during its nomadic days too (Newtown shops, and then near the fire station).

There's nothing fundamentally wrong with the other schools, the Boys has some new portakabins outside but otherwise has decent facilities - never went to the Girls for obvious reasons so I can't answer on it!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

You should be able to get a place in the boys or girls school no problem .
    For the Gael Scoil you need their name down at birth and for the educate together it is not far off .

There is an excellent Gaelscoil with space due to expansion in Dunboyne which would not be very far from Carton House possibly nearer then Maynooth .

Advertisement