Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lough Cutra half iron?

Options
  • 11-08-2014 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hey!

I'm probably going to sign up for the Lough Cutra half in 2015. The website has tons of info, including bike elevation info, but no info about elevation for the run.

Is there anyone who's done this race who could describe the run course for me? From what I understand it's mostly off road? Is there a lot of climbing in the run or is it mostly flat?

It will be my first "big" race of 2015 and I want to make sure I train appropriately for it :)

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Dracafae wrote: »
    Hey!

I'm probably going to sign up for the Lough Cutra half in 2015. The website has tons of info, including bike elevation info, but no info about elevation for the run.

Is there anyone who's done this race who could describe the run course for me? From what I understand it's mostly off road? Is there a lot of climbing in the run or is it mostly flat?

It will be my first "big" race of 2015 and I want to make sure I train appropriately for it :)

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!

pretty much the same course as the olympic, with a little bit extra. here is my profile from the day
    http://www.strava.com/activities/145397759

rough roads, up down short hills, nothing long but steep rises that would slow you, musd, grass, long grass, running over tree roots, tarmac, loose stone, bit of everything

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dracafae

That's exactly what I needed to know!

Thanks so much for all the information- I appreciate it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Little bit of detail here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90170279 and I have a GPS elevation somewhere that I can dig out.

Fantastic! Thank you!

Did those of you who did this race enjoy it? And would you recommend it?

How challenging is the bike course? I know there's that one killer hill up the corkscrew hill there, but besides that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Its the good kind of challenging. Not an easy course, it won't be a PB course (unless it's your first at that distance) but definitely one you will be glad to have done.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

aye, definitely not a fast course. the half distance might be a better bike as it goes on a different route, avoiding the laps of the lake which all the other races use.

had some non course related issues, but it was still my slowest Olympic this year by over 10 minutes so not a pb course by any means

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

I did the half this year.
    The bike course is very challenging especially because of the condition of the roads. The roughest roads I've ever cycled on. Potholes, gravel & there was even grass in the middle of some of the roads. It was also long, nearly 4 km long.
    The run was even rougher, running over everything but a flat surface. Trail shoes would be the most appropriate footwear for the run. I had sore knees for nearly a week afterwards.

But it was it was a very well run event & good value for money.
    Anybody doing the half got a Castle Series rucksack, a T-shirt, a speedo towel some free food & a half hour massage.

I love trail running so that part of it sounds like an adventure (in a good way!). Not sure about the bad road conditions, though. That is really good to know. I'd be worried about getting a flat out in the middle of nowhere. Given the poor road conditions, I'd even be hesitant to ride my tri bike on the course.

But I appreciate all the responses and information from you guys- thanks so much! It sounds like this race is more just a chance to do a challenging race with some unique twists, rather than a smooth course where you can improve your previous race times. It does seem to have some really cool and fun parts though :)

I saw a little clip of a video from the race and the water looks weedy! Was the swim gross?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 jamescantwell

hey, i did the olympic distance, swim was great, beautiful lake, the bike course on my TT was horrible, v undulating on v bad roads, apparently the half distance roads are pretty poor too (correct me if i'm wrong), the 10k run was through longish grass, mud and trail, 2 laps, not v enjoyable and a v slow course...

Thank you to everyone for sharing your experiences of this race! All very helpful information :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement