Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Earls dog food

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Theimprover

Ye must think I am a right pain in the hole.:rolleyes:

What are these ingredients like?

24% protein

omega 3 & 6 oils to promote healthy skin healthy and shiny coat
    Ingredients (in descending order by weight)
    Cerals, Meat And Animal Derivatives, Derivatives Of Vegetable Origin, Fish And Fish Derivatives, Oils And Fats Minerals Contains Bht And Bha Antioxidants
    Nutritional analysis

Protein 24.00%
    Oil 10.00%
    Fibre 3.60%
    Ash 9.00%
    Moisture 10.00%
    Vitamin A 12,000i u/kg
    Vitamin D3 2,000i u/kg
    Alpha Tocopherol 80i u/kg
    Copper 15mg/kg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Awful. You shouldnt have to ask as you can see the first ingredients are cereals and then derivitives. We have been talking about this all along in this thread?

cocker5 wrote: »
    AndreaC is right really poor dog food ...

Ingredients cereals, animals derivatives , sodium chloride ...
    Aldi food would better and aldi dog food is of really low quality.

Any dog food where the first ingredients are cereals and derivatives , is pure muck I'm afraid!

I don't see anywhere where it states any actual meat / protein !

All the foods I have looked at have these are the first ingredients, and do you know why?? Its because they are listed in descending order by weight so been pure muck because they are listed first is a load of baloney, every bag food I have looked at have these ingredients.

The first ingredient should really be meat., Stay clear of anything that says Cereals first, then derivitives. This has been mentioned over and over in this thread.

All the foods I have looked at have these are the first ingredients, and do you know why?? Its because they are listed in descending order by weight so been pure muck because they are listed first is a load of baloney, every bag food I have looked at have these ingredients.

Then you are looking at very cheap foods.

• Advertisement

andreac wrote: »
    Awful. You shouldnt have to ask as you can see the first ingredients are cereals and then derivitives. We have been talking about this all along in this thread?

But the reason that they are listed first is that they are listed in descending order by weight

Them ingredients above is from Red Mills- working dogs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

boomerang wrote: »
    The only thing is, all parts of the animal are used for human consumption (in the case of beef) so generally what offal is put aside for the pet food market is not very wholesome - e.g. it has the lesions/infections/the parasitised bits cut off and the good parts kept. Bit gross, but doesn't mean the meat isn't safe for our dogs to eat.

At least to the best of my knowledge.

I didn't think that any animal that had died of illness or natural causes, couldn't be used in the human food chain at all, so they wouldn't have any bits to cut off that has lesions/infections etc as the animal would be disposed off in a different way?

This is why the premium foods cost more than the value ones, as they use better quality meat, in the 'super premium' foods it is human quality.

But you're kind of arguing against yourself there, if they are listed in descending order by weight, then the first ingredient is what there is most of in the food. A food that has mostly cereals and filler will not have that much nuritional value to your dog.

Having said that though, it depends who is making the food, and how they find ways to get round EU regulations, as some manufacturers weigh the meat before they take the water out, so it will appear to have a higher meat content than it actually does.

Also, if it just says cereals, and doesn't actually specify what cereal, then how do you know what is in the food, and whether or not they change the cereals with different batches, depending on what is available to them at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marknine

I have been feeding him the Earls Aldi food with the last 2-3 months with a small tin of tuna mixed in with it and he likes it only as I can not afford to be feeding him the RC as my circumstances have changed some what and with the Mal joining us it would be just way too much expense.

I have boxer dog and I buy the Aldi cat food that comes in 12 cans for €5.89 as it is cheaper than the dog food. I mix it with Aldi or Lidl mixer and my dog loves it. It works out way less than a €1 a day to feed him. So its one can of the Aldi catfood plus mixer and he is as happy and healthy as can be.

• Advertisement

marknine wrote: »
    I have been feeding him the Earls Aldi food with the last 2-3 months with a small tin of tuna mixed in with it and he likes it only as I can not afford to be feeding him the RC as my circumstances have changed some what and with the Mal joining us it would be just way too much expense.

I have boxer dog and I buy the Aldi cat food that comes in 12 cans for €5.89 as it is cheaper than the dog food. I mix it with Aldi or Lidl mixer and my dog loves it. It works out way less than a €1 a day to feed him. So its one can of the Aldi catfood plus mixer and he is as happy and healthy as can be.

:eek::eek::eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Then start looking around for a better shop to buy the dog food in; here are a few brands to look for:
    Taste of the wild
    Ingredients:
    Lamb, lamb meal, sweet potatoes, potatoes, peas, rapeseed oil, egg, roast lamb, tomato pomace, natural aromas, salt, choline chloride, mixed tcopherols (natural preservatives and source of vitamin E), dried chicory root...

Acana
    Dehydrated chicken meat (40%), rolled oats, fresh chicken (no bones), peas, brown rice, chicken fat, fresh king salmon (boned), chicken liver, fresh whole eggs, sun-cured alfalfa, salmon oil, pumpkin, chicken cartilage, apples, carrots, turnip green, cranberries, rock pears...

Lily's kitchen
    Organic Fresh Chicken 26%, organic rice, organic barley, organic oats, organic rice protein, organic fishmeal, organic brown lentils, organic gravy, organic flaxseed, organic whole sunflower seeds, organic sunflower oil, minerals, organic chicken oil, organic carrots...

Lukullus
    Ground beef jerky (28%), ground wholegrain rice (26%), dried and ground trout (6%), cold-pressed rapeseed oil (5%), dried seaweed, dried alfalfa, beet pulp, rice germ, dried herbs (3.5%), dried pears (2%), dried apples (2%), ...

Nutrivet
    erring (min. 13%), salmon (min. 11%), cod (min. 9%), sardines (min. 9%), potatoes, peas, oils & fats (chicken), (min. 7%), dehydrated mackerel (min. 7%), dehydrated pollock (min. 5%), dehydrated whiting (min. 4%), bass (min. 2%), dehydrated seabream (min. 2%), dehydrated hake (min. 2%), dehydrated chicken (min. 2%), powdered eggs (min. 2%), salmon oil (min. 2%), fish oil (min. 2%)...

Orijen
    Fresh chicken (boneless) (22%), dried chicken meat (15%), fresh chicken liver (4%), fresh whole herring (4%), fresh turkey meat (boneless) (4%), dehydrated turkey meat (4%) fresh turkey liver (3%), fresh whole eggs (3%), fresh boneless free Zander (3%), fresh whole salmon (3%), fresh poultry hearts (3%), chicken cartilage (3%), dried herring (3%), dried salmon (3%), poultry liver oil (3%), re

Markus Muhle
    Ingredients:
    Poultry meat meal (28%), wholegrain corn flour, brown rice meal, game tripe meal (8%), rice germ, game bone meal...

And that's only grabbing a few examples from Zooplus Irish shop which is limited in what it has by comparison; if you can give an idea on what you're willing/can spend for a 15kg bag we can narrow it down a lot easier :)
    Same goes for you Marknine, RC is overpriced for what's in it; give us a budget reference on a 15kg bag and lets see (and tuna is not really good due to the heavy metals in the fish).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

Please stop feeding cat food to your dog! It can cause havoc with their liver and kidneys as the protein levels in cat food is far higher than dog food due to cats being obligate carnivores. The nutritients will be completely out of balance for a dog. Along with high fat levels which again are bad for him. Even if you can't afford anything other than aldi food, at least put him on the dog one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

muddypaws wrote: »
    I didn't think that any animal that had died of illness or natural causes, couldn't be used in the human food chain at all, so they wouldn't have any bits to cut off that has lesions/infections etc as the animal would be disposed off in a different way?

This is why the premium foods cost more than the value ones, as they use better quality meat, in the 'super premium' foods it is human quality.

It would depend on what the animal died of and if it were localised. For instance if they had liver fluke, they would just jettison the liver. Or if a TB lesion, that'd be cut out but it wouldn't follow that whole animal would be discarded for pet food, AFAIK. After slaughtering, vets check the organs and pass/fail them and the animal. Sick cattle get sent to the factory so they must have some value or the vet would just pts and they'd go to the renderers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭JoannieG

I've a Malamute and a Malamute/GSD cross. They eat Chudley's Working Crunch. €22 for 15kg bag that lasts for 12/13 days. They love it and are thriving on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'm feeding a 27kg and a 17kg dog. I looked at the Markus M food and it was going to be my next buy. I had been feeding raw but it was working out very expensive because I wasn't buying in bulk. Once I looked into bulk buying it I've cut costs considerably. I'm feeding my two for 40 - 45 a month raw with veg and potatoes. Might be worth considering.

But you're kind of arguing against yourself there, if they are listed in descending order by weight, then the first ingredient is what there is most of in the food. A food that has mostly cereals and filler will not have that much nuritional value to your dog.

Having said that though, it depends who is making the food, and how they find ways to get round EU regulations, as some manufacturers weigh the meat before they take the water out, so it will appear to have a higher meat content than it actually does.

Also, if it just says cereals, and doesn't actually specify what cereal, then how do you know what is in the food, and whether or not they change the cereals with different batches, depending on what is available to them at the time?

I was thinking the same myself while I waited for a reply lol, was'nt thinking when I wrote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Some really good posts on this thread, that the title wouldn't lead you to.

Would it be an idea to rename it "boards pet food debate"? Or some such?

Some really good posts on this thread, that the title wouldn't lead you to.

Would it be an idea to rename it "boards pet food debate"? Or some such?

Oh there are loads of them on here already. :D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Oh there are loads of them on here already. :D:p

Oh right Ted.

• Advertisement

Whispered wrote: »
    I'm feeding a 27kg and a 17kg dog. I looked at the Markus M food and it was going to be my next buy. I had been feeding raw but it was working out very expensive because I wasn't buying in bulk. Once I looked into bulk buying it I've cut costs considerably. I'm feeding my two for 40 - 45 a month raw with veg and potatoes. Might be worth considering.

I have considered it and I will do a bit of pricing around when we go do our shopping, my wifes mother was telling us that they be selling off a lot of the meat at certain times in tesco for half nothing but is it not a lot of work preparing raw? I suppose its not as your not cooking it, and would you give raw veg too and boiled potatoes??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I get it from a place in clondalkin. I'm not sure if I can mention the name? They also deliver - free over 40 and €5 delivery under 40.

Aldi currently doing 800g chicken legs for €2, tesco 1kg for €2.40. You'd need more variety though which is where the meat place comes in.

To be honest you'd be as well of checking out the raw feeding thread as I'm still relatively new to it. Loads of good advice in it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭justbored

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

justbored wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

A lot of corn and wheat in it as they are far up the list. Surprised to see duck fat being used in there? The main thing for me though is dehydrated 'meats', what meat exactly? If you have a dog who's allergic to a certain type of protein, there's no way of telling if it's in there or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭abutler101

Hi. We are feeding our dog (short legged jrt) with red mills star dry food with sheep/cow offal that I get cheap from a local butchers or raw chicken. We feed about 50/50 food and meat. I'm just wondering if it is ok to feed cheaper food with high cereal content if half his diet is made up of raw meat? thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I would be wary of feeding too much offal - liver in particular.

Is there a thread on raw feeding? cant find a specific thread

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Is there a thread on raw feeding? cant find a specific thread
    Enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Anyone living around limerick that would be interested in splitting an order of MM, I only have one dog so wouldnt be ordering 2 x 15kg bags , but the price is good when buying two bags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭jopax

Hi, just want to say thanks to all the posts for valuable information. I have a gsd and was feeding her aldi dog food not realising how bad it was.
    Am just back from pet shop with leader adullt red mills large mills for her. The earls is going in the bin.
    I am so glad to know that know, Id hate to think we were neglecting her.
    Thanks again.

Advertisement