Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Earls dog food

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

jopax wrote: »
    Hi, just want to say thanks to all the posts for valuable information. I have a gsd and was feeding her aldi dog food not realising how bad it was.
    Am just back from pet shop with leader adullt red mills large mills for her. The earls is going in the bin.
    I am so glad to know that know, Id hate to think we were neglecting her.
    Thanks again.

Hope you haven't thrown it away just yet ;) Mix the new food in with the old food to start, gradually increasing the new food, and decreasing the old, so that your dog gets used to it without an upset tummy

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭jopax

muddypaws wrote: »
    Hope you haven't thrown it away just yet ;) Mix the new food in with the old food to start, gradually increasing the new food, and decreasing the old, so that your dog gets used to it without an upset tummy

Thanks for that muddypaws, will do!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Theimprover

Mods any chance of making this thread sticky or at least change the title, lot of good info on here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

There are loads of dog food threads here that using the search function will find, simply loads of them, several appear every week.
    We've also been told we need to reduce the number of stickies we already have, and meanwhile get regular requests to sticky threads on other subjects too.
    So, I'm afraid the search function will have to do for now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Consolidate all existing/future food threads into a megathread?
    I'm getting a card for off topic posting, amn't I?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Theimprover

Exactly, Surley it makes perfect sense to consolidate them all into one, I see someone else started a new thread about dog food, it's a no brainer imo.

No, you're not. No need for any drama.
    There are so many food threads, and I really mean there are dozens, if not hundreds of them, combining them would be an unholy mess.
    There have even been attempts to start megathreads from scratch, and we might look into this again, but again they, and all the spin-offs from them, tend to turn into a huge mess that users who want to find out right now what food to get for their dog, don't seem to always want to read, so they start another one. Then we end up with a lot of disjointed threads to join together, and we're back to square one.
    So it seems to me that the search function will serve the same purpose.
    Now let's get back on topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

DBB wrote: »
    No, you're not. No need for any drama.

Forgot the :pacman: face!!
    Cheers.

Exactly, Surley it makes perfect sense to consolidate them all into one, I see someone else started a new thread about dog food, it's a no brainer imo.

And you started this thread despite the fact that what you wanted to know has been posted about in big food threads here before!
    The fact that you didn't realise there was a raw feeding "megathread" suggests to me that you didn't use the search function, so didn't find the megathread, or wouldn't have found a dry-feeding megathread, and didn't find the vast number of other food threads, so you started your own thread.
    Which pretty much proves the point I'm trying to make!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭spongebob89

Just wondering what the difference is with the Markus Muhle naturNah and the senior

The naturNah has 25% protein which is more than the senior which has 22%
    and the same fat 10% and the naturNah is €10 cheaper!

I have an overweight 10yo staffy that needs to loose a few kg and Markus Muhle best fits my budget but I'm wondering is the senior thing just a gimmick because the naturNah is cheaper and has more protein content. Which one should I buy ???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Just wondering what the difference is with the Markus Muhle naturNah and the senior

The naturNah has 25% protein which is more than the senior which has 22%
    and the same fat 10% and the naturNah is €10 cheaper!

I have an overweight 10yo staffy that needs to loose a few kg and Markus Muhle best fits my budget but I'm wondering is the senior thing just a gimmick because the naturNah is cheaper and has more protein content. Which one should I buy ???
    Well the meat type and percentage are obviously different as is the lack of corn in the senior one; it also appears that the senior has a tad more fish related content by a couple of percentage units but it's never going to be a night and day difference.
    Senior wrote:
    Ground dried Black Angus meat (17%), ground brown wholegrain rice, ground dried duck meat (8.5%), ground dried herring (5.4%), ground millet, ground amaranth, fresh green herbs, linseed, dried algae mix, herring oil, cold pressed vegetable oil mix, beet pulp, gelatine, dry peat (2%), dried ground yucca schidigera, milk thistle seeds, fennel seeds, dried blueberries, powdered egg yolk, siliceous earth (1.5%), muscle meat extract from green-lipped mussels (1.5%), grape seed extract, green mineral soil (1.5%), sea mollusc protein from green-lipped mussels (1%), marigold, ginseng root.
    NaturNah wrote:
    Poultry meat meal (28%), wholegrain corn flour, brown rice meal, game tripe meal (8%), rice germ, game bone meal, corn germ, Jerusalem artichoke meal, sea fish meal (5%), linseed oil, rapeseed oil (both cold pressed), powdered eggs (2%), dry peat, powdered fruit (2% incl. carob, pineapple, papaya, banana, acerola cherry, apple, pear, blueberry, mango, raspberry), mixed dried herbs, salmon oil, algae meal, dried and ground Yucca Schidigera.

Nody wrote: »
    Well the meat type and percentage are obviously different as is the lack of corn in the senior one; it also appears that the senior has a tad more fish related content by a couple of percentage units but it's never going to be a night and day difference.

Yeah the senior is my best bet considering. Is zooplus.ie usually the best prices or can this be shopped around for cheaper dia know?

Senior foods usually have more joint support, and the kibble may be smaller, or softer because of possible teeth issues with older dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Yeah the senior is my best bet considering. Is zooplus.ie usually the best prices or can this be shopped around for cheaper dia know?

Zooplus.de the German site is cheaper for almost everything. Dont know where else its handy or possible to order that food.

maggiepip wrote: »
    Zooplus.de the German site is cheaper for almost everything. Dont know where else its handy or possible to order that food.

Indeed it is but I'm finding it hard to pay for my food through the checkout when everything is in german

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Indeed it is but I'm finding it hard to pay for my food through the checkout when everything is in german 😣

Use Google Crome, will translate to English.

muddypaws wrote: »
    Senior foods usually have more joint support, and the kibble may be smaller, or softer because of possible teeth issues with older dogs.

+1
    They also have ingredients with higher levels of antioxidants, free radical scavengers, and chemicals involved with cellular repair, all of which is to target dementia/cognitive dysfunction, and cancers.
    I'm guessing that's why there's more fish in the senior diet mentioned above, because there's nowt like oily fish to address all of these issues... They truly are a power food for older dogs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hildred

Indeed it is but I'm finding it hard to pay for my food through the checkout when everything is in german

Have you tried logging on to the zooplus.ie site? I just recently bought 2 x 15kg MM NaturNah on offer and had no problems at all. Maybe it was because I paid through PayPal, I'm not certain. It might be worthwhile setting up a PayPal account for future use if you don't have one already. Saves a lot of hassle on future purchases too, is very secure and you only need your visa debit card. Oh, and a few shekels in the bank too! 😜

For those of you interested to know how the various dog foods compare, etc., there's a pretty cool website called allaboutdogfood.co.uk.

They will ask for your dogs breed, age, weight and your weekly budget and recommend the best quality dog food available for that budget. There's also a list of *many* dog foods alphatebically by brand (and/or manufacturer - I can't offhand recall which) which does a review by nutrient value from highest to lowest, including cost and amount to feed per day.

It was from this site that I made the decision to try Markus Mühle NaturNah as I discovered that of the other foods I was giving my dogs one wasn't as good nutritionally and was more expensive (Land of Holistic Pets Luath Chicken & Rice) and the dreaded Purina Bakers Complete 😱 which a very kind Muddy Paws enlightened me today by describing it as being like McDonalds for kids ... full of additives & nasty stuff!

Check allaboutdogfood.co.uk out. It's worth it ... You will be informed.

For all who use it, I guess we're singing from the same canine choir sheet! 😊

So ive done some research on dog food ingridents and turns out chicken meal duck meal etc is actually better than just chicken because chicken will carry alot of water wait and you get more chicken in the meal than you do from just chicken

However im curious about Markus Muhles NaturNahs first ingridents is poultry meat meal if anybody can inform me if this is good because poultry can mean anything from birds to pigeons and id wrecking by using the word poultry they would use the cheapest type of bird

This link http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/choosing-dog-food/about-meat-meal/

States that low quality types of meal include meat meal, poultry meal etc any meal that fails to identify the specific source so Now I think this is actually not a quality dog food

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

States that low quality types of meal include meat meal, poultry meal etc any meal that fails to identify the specific source so Now I think this is actually not a quality dog food
    For the price you will be hard pressed to find something better and it's better then a lot of the more popular and more expensive feeds out there; if you want top of the line though your price is going to be about double for the likes of Acana, Taste of the Wild etc.

So ive done some research on dog food ingridents and turns out chicken meal duck meal etc is actually better than just chicken because chicken will carry alot of water wait (sic) and you get more chicken in the meal than you do from just chicken.

However im curious about Markus Muhles NaturNahs first ingridents is poultry meat meal if anybody can inform me if this is good because poultry can mean anything from birds to pigeons and id wrecking by using the word poultry they would use the cheapest type of bird

This link http:// www. dogfoodadvisor.com/ choosing-dog-food/ about-meat-meal/

You clearly didn't research too deeply in relation to Markus Mühle NaturNah CHICKEN/TURKEY dogfood when you query the type of poultry meat meal listed as its first ingredient! There is only one variety of NaturNah - chicken/turkey. I will assume therefore that you can deduce from the one variety exactly which type of poultry meat meal is the first ingredient! Clue: It isn't pigeon!

In fact, for your ease of reference, I'll also include a passage from the review given on the page I noted above: allaboutdogfood.co.uk, which for some reason you appear to have chosen not to read, or at the very least, take note of:
    [ ... ] Looking inside the bag, you'll notice that Markus Mühle NaturNah doesn't look like other dry foods. Rather than being cooked by the normal processes of extrusion or baking, Markus Mühle is cold-pressed. This means that the food isn't exposed to the normal, potentially damaging high temperatures and should, therefore, retain much more of its natural nutrients.

Markus Mühle's ingredients score very well. The combined 41% chicken, turkey, venison tripe and fish meal and good quality whole grains provide an excellent basis for the food. One of those grains is, however, maize which has attracted criticism from many canine nutritionists *but it's well worth noting that the maize has been thermally preheated which should make it much easier to digest and much less likely to cause problems than the standard form*.

As well as the meat and whole grains, Markus Mühle uses an impressive range of nutritionally dense, natural ingredients from common supplements like linseed oil and seaweed (algae meal) to more unusual additions like jerusalem artichoke and pineapple. Mixed herbs are listed and, again, more clarity as to what herbs this refers to would help.

With its low suggested feeding amounts and its incredibly competitive recommended retail price, Markus Mühle costs surprisingly little per day to feed.

For the very reasonable price of €41.99 per 15kg bag, and a special offer currently in place of 2 X 15kg bags for €74.99 and free shipping in Ireland with zooplus.IE (not .de) you will search far and wide for a better quality food that comes even remotely close in price. Good luck finding it.

Hildred wrote: »
    You clearly didn't research too deeply in relation to Markus Mühle NaturNah CHICKEN/TURKEY dogfood when you query the type of poultry meat meal listed as its first ingredient! There is only one variety of NaturNah - chicken/turkey. I will assume therefore that you can deduce from the one variety exactly which type of poultry meat meal is the first ingredient! Clue: It isn't pigeon!

In fact, for your ease of reference, I'll also include a passage from the review given on the page I noted above: allaboutdogfood.co.uk, which for some reason you appear to have chosen not to read, or at the very least, take note of:

For the very reasonable price of €41.99 per 15kg bag, and a special offer currently in place of 2 X 15kg bags for €74.99 and free shipping in Ireland with zooplus.IE (not .de) you will search far and wide for a better quality food that comes even remotely close in price. Good luck finding it.

By using the word poultry it does mean that they can change what the actual ingredient is without changing the packaging. It means that if they have a surplus of chicken whilst making one batch, they can put more of that in than the turkey, or vice versa, so in fact, the food can be different from bag to bag. I'm not saying it is, but by using the catch all word poultry, it does give companies that leeway.

An example of dog food marketing - a company may make a food that contains beef, chicken and lamb, they can package that food in 3 different bags, calling it chicken, beef and lamb. Exactly the same food, and each contains the meat it says it does, but it also contains the other meat, but customers think they are getting something different.

All dog food analysis websites are run by people who have an agenda, just as we all do. Its a business, designed to make money for the owner. I could set a website up tomorrow doing the same thing. What I do find interesting about the review you posted, and yes, I am very cynical, is that it says the food contains maize, but then goes on to excuse its inclusion, yet the same website I'm sure will give a lower rating to other foods that use maize. Agenda you see ;)

Would some mixed veggies and a tin of aldi tuna/sardines not make the best pure diet for your dog and not break the budget either atleast you know exactly what your giving your dog no crappy empty carbs an it couldnt be healthier right ?

Advertisement