Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is meant by a stiff drink?

Options
  • 11-08-2014 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Does anyone know the difference between a stiff drink as opposed to a normal one?

I just watched an old TV show where a character asked for "two brandys, and make them stiff ones."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

A stiff drink would usually be a large measure of spirits.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Immaculata

I think it means strong, as in 'stiff winds.'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Did the speaker also twirl his moustache, and refer to 'the little lady'?
    Aw, I miss the Seventies too!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It's my understanding that in the context of alcohol, stiff means strong/potent so it would be a drink with either very little or no mixer. Maybe a double.

My father liked a pint and a "stiff one" - a neat whiskey chaser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I was at a hotel with my family for my aunts funeral a few months ago and my dad and I were having whiskeys. The bar man enquired as to whether we wanted singles or ...? My dad responded that a standard British measure was 35ml and effectively amounted to a damp glass. Everyone else at the bar found that comment hilarious. The 19 year old barman didn't get it.

Making a stiff drink is similar to what is called in parts in Ireland as a large one, meaning a double. If the person requesting the drink is a regular and always has a double, a large one means a triple. Basically it means larger than the normal measure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

I've heard of a measure of spirits being called "a half one".

That's real regulars talk:

"Give us a Guinness and a half one there John, and turn off that prat Ryan Turbidity will you."

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

syklops wrote: »
    I was at a hotel with my family for my aunts funeral a few months ago and my dad and I were having whiskeys. The bar man enquired as to whether we wanted singles or ...? My dad responded that a standard British measure was 35ml and effectively amounted to a damp glass. Everyone else at the bar found that comment hilarious. The 19 year old barman didn't get it.

Making a stiff drink is similar to what is called in parts in Ireland as a large one, meaning a double. If the person requesting the drink is a regular and always has a double, a large one means a triple. Basically it means larger than the normal measure.

I thought an Irish measure was 35.5ml and UK is 25ml :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Muahahaha wrote: »

That's right. But NI is 35.5 as is Scotland, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,404 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That's right. But NI is 35.5 as is Scotland, I think.

Yeah, legally the UK has both. And its up to the pub to decide which they use.
    But as you said its typically 35 in NI and Scotland and 25 in England and Wales.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 656 ✭✭✭NipNip

I'd have thought it meant a short with no mixer and no ice? Undiluted so to speak? Never knew it referred to the quantity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Mellor wrote: »
    But as you said its typically 35 in NI and Scotland and 25 in England and Wales.
    soft southern shandy drinking bast@rds! :D

OP, did the drink look like this?

sexyicecube_penis_big.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Muahahaha wrote: »

You may be right. I had it in my mind that an Irish measure was 40ml. 25mls? Damp glass is right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

NipNip wrote: »
    I'd have thought it meant a short with no mixer and no ice? Undiluted so to speak? Never knew it referred to the quantity.

Unlike your username

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It just mean extra alcohol.

Advertisement