Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Which Gore-Tex race boot?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Big prices imo, you can buy a pair of seal skin socks for about 30 stg and keep them in your back box, if you already have a pair of decent boots with protection, this is a decent alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Yeah I had thought about them man but realistically soaking wet boots means cold feet. And imo once part of you is cold then the cold just travels through you. I would sooner have dry and warm boots on.

Ì hear you man, but you can wear sealskins in the leakiest boots, and the puddliest of water, and they're the best 30 quid you'll ever spend. You will have dry feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

I have the smx myself... honestly the best (for me) i can even spend half day walking in them. No hassle whats so ever. I tried them on in person in megabikes and then got them online from moto-de.

This is my second pair.. i destroyed the first pair in crash i had... i woudlnt buy any other. Light and 110% waterproof but still being able to let the air in.. i think Gary/wonda has them as well.

You can even get the smx-5 for like 160e or less.. they have the same protection as the 6, but slightly diff design.. but for the price you cant get any better. In my opinion

Yeah i had looked at some other models of the smx series of boots.
    Not all are Gore-Tex though. The boots i have at the moment are "waterproof" like the smx-5 but neither are Gore-Tex.

I can pickup a pair of touring boots with Gore-Tex for cheaper but the level of protection drops. Deffo want to stick to a race style boot.

JUst seeing a lot of reviews of Sidi boots saying they are quite wide. Which is good for me as i have a wide foot and find tcx boots very narrow.
    Gotta suss out some places here that sell Sidi and try some on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

few years old now, but the most waterproof gear I own are my boots - TCX Competizione S'

http://www.fc-moto.de/TCX-Competizione-S-Gore-Tex-Boots

I found them fairly uncomfortable for walking around for more then an hour however

Size wise I think they're alright - 44 in the boot, and just checking the shoes Im in now, and they're 44 too. I got em from Cotters, so could be worth a check (?), but few years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I had the alpinestar smx-5 before, great boot. Mine were eventually eaten through from the bottom, the toothed metal footpeg wear from changing gear wore through.
    I think bikeworld do them, but definitely try on before you buy online.

I had a pair of TCX Competizione S' boots before. Not the gore tex version though. I found them very narrow so sold them. Although just getting 1 size bigger might have solved that problem.

Sure i will do the rounds and try on different brands and see what fits best.
    The tcx boots i linked in the first post are actually cheaper in cotters than from a few of the usual UK online shops.

I also think cotters fo Sidi boots. Will deffo try them on since multiple reviews I read today mention that they are a wide fitting boot which is what im after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Always buy sidi race boots myself. Never had any other brands. They suit me perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

My husband has the TCX S-R1 boots and finds them brilliant. Wouldn't be particularly comfortable walking around for long periods of time but he can sacrifice that for the fact that they are 100% weatherproof.

I have had 2 pairs of TCX boots and my current pair are TCX and they're really comfortable, 100% weatherproof and find the price reasonable for what they are. My first pair of TCX boots got thrown out after a crash, nothing wrong with them, I just didn't want to wear them anymore, and the other 2 pairs I still wear all the time, nearly 3 years later and no problems with their durability.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Banzai600

Ive used gotext TCX for a couple of yrs on the hack. They're a good boot, waterproof but the inner plastics of their boots do mark your bike. They'l even tarnish carbon fibre.

Try the new Alpine Star SMX goretex. Megabikes who i mentioned on another thread are doing a good price on them.

Sidi / Dainese are good but they are a slim fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭AD!

Probably a very a stupid question but what's the difference between race boots and normal boots?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Not a raceboot, but I have the Daytona Traveller GTX. Completely waterproof, comfortable, and sporty enough looking!

CJhaughey wrote: »

Yeah they get great reviews. They look like a touring boot but realistically there are cheaper options out there for a Gore-Tex touring boot.
    AD! wrote: »
    Probably a very a stupid question but what's the difference between race boots and normal boots?

Generally it would be race style boots and touring boots.
    Biggest differences would be the protection of a race boot VS the comfort on a touring boot.

What i tend to look for is something in the middle. But when you want a Gore-Tex boot thats also racing style the price jumps up.
    infacteh wrote: »
    Not a raceboot, but I have the Daytona Traveller GTX. Completely waterproof, comfortable, and sporty enough looking!

Yeah they are nice man. But again more of a touring boot really.
    The protection level on them would put me off a bit.

Last time i don some rounds of trying on boot, Richa were the best fit. Nice and wide.I currently have Richa Ratchet boots and could walk in them all day and wouldn't have any bother. If only they did a Gore-tex version!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

I have the RST Tracktech Evo WP, http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/107043.

Had them for over a year now and never ever has let water in, even in the most heavy downpours. Extermely comfy, have had them on all day without any bother.

Its this "Waterproof" VS actual Gore_tex that throws me tbh man.

Ive now had 3 pairs of boots that were waterproof and still got soaked through.
    So i decided to finally just get a pair that are Gore-Tex as its a lifetime guarantee on most.

Mental money but I'm very tempted to treat my feet!!

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/72779

And they are actually cheaper in cotters than any of the UK sites.

goodlad wrote: »
    Its this "Waterproof" VS actual Gore_tex that throws me tbh man.

Ive now had 3 pairs of boots that were waterproof and still got soaked through.
    So i decided to finally just get a pair that are Gore-Tex as its a lifetime guarantee on most.

Mental money but I'm very tempted to treat my feet!!

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/72779

And they are actually cheaper in cotters than any of the UK sites.

With todays technology going in to some of the boots I think its a waste of money tbh. Have a read of the reviews for RST Tracktec WP, its the lower model of the Tracktech EVO WP but almost the same boot's, just has more reviews for some reason, probably due to costing less. As I said, I have yet to get my feet wet with these boots and you know I ride in all weather.

FYI, if you buy from sportsbikeshop.co.uk you have ayears warranty where they will replace/refund you without question - I had to use it on a pair of gloves I had for 11 months and had no hassle with a replacement.

At the end of the day its going to come down to personal choice and the size of your wallet :D

Yeah i know what you mean dude.
    I just don't want to be stung AGAIN! :o

The Sidi boots i just linked there are deff overkill.

I think maybe one of the boots in the first post are a bit more reasonable and i just need to suss out which one would actually fit best.

EDIT:

New contender! LOL

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/198653

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Yeah they get great reviews. They look like a touring boot but realistically there are cheaper options out there for a Gore-Tex touring boot.
    They are a race boot, not a touring boot.
    Daytona are well regarded as a race boot, plenty of racers using them.
    Just look at what Michael and William Dunlop wear..

• Advertisement

No idea who those people are.
    The look of the Daytona stuff isn't what I'm after anyway. Cheers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

CJhaughey wrote: »
    They are a race boot, not a touring boot.
    Daytona are well regarded as a race boot, plenty of racers using them.
    Just look at what Michael and William Dunlop wear..

Sure what would the Dunlops know about racing and more importantly crashing while racing ? Oh wait .......... ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

i have the alpinestars SM-X R goretex, not sure if they are available anymore but they are a great boot, comfy to wear all day if needed and have never let water in for me.

if the Alpinestars S-MX 6 Gore-Tex are they replacement i would bet on them being a great boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

I had a pair of TCX S-Race goretex boots but just could not break them in, ended up actually being uncomforatable on the sportsbike (grand on the GS though), one of the boots ended up failing and letting in water so I got the pair replaced under warranty, sold them to a mate and bought the Sidi B2's (again, Goretex).

3+ years later they're still perfect and haven't let a drop of water in, and thats with me being in them nearly every day, walking around in them etc. worth every red cent IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Try and get the older Alpinstars SMX Plus Goretex, they are an unreal pair of boots. Inside the boot is a goretex slipper your foot goes into, nothing gets past it. I have mine now two yrs not a bother.....two others on the spins bought them after seeing mine.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Try and get the older Alpinstars SMX Plus Goretex, they are an unreal pair of boots. Inside the boot is a goretex slipper your foot goes into, nothing gets past it. I have mine now two yrs not a bother.....two others on the spins bought them after seeing mine.

I actually linked them a few posts up. Great price on them.
    I called megabikes and they have them in stock. I just need to find time to go try them on.

From your experoience with them dude. Is the sizing chart accurate?
    I find TCX and Richa i needed to buy one size up from what i would wear in a normal shoe.

But with alpine stars ive seen a few reviews people saying the boots were a big fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I actually linked them a few posts up. Great price on them.
    I called megabikes and they have them in stock. I just need to find time to go try them on.

From your experoience with them dude. Is the sizing chart accurate?
    I find TCX and Richa i needed to buy one size up from what i would wear in a normal shoe.

But with alpine stars ive seen a few reviews people saying the boots were a big fit.

The ones you linked Gary are the SMX6, they have less armour and dont have the support bar down the back of the boot to stop the ankle and foot twisting. They would be a lower spec boot AFAIK. I am a size 12 and I had to get a 12.5 in the UK boot. So a half size should sort ya I found the 12 to be a tad tight. Well worth every penny you will have them for donkeys years.

Yeah i know what you mean dude.
    I just don't want to be stung AGAIN! :o

The Sidi boots i just linked there are deff overkill.

I think maybe one of the boots in the first post are a bit more reasonable and i just need to suss out which one would actually fit best.

EDIT:

New contender! LOL

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    The ones you linked Gary are the SMX6, they have less armour and dont have the support bar down the back of the boot to stop the ankle and foot twisting. They would be a lower spec boot AFAIK. I am a size 12 and I had to get a 12.5 in the UK boot. So a half size should sort ya I found the 12 to be a tad tight. Well worth every penny you will have them for donkeys years.

I sure did link them :p

I dropped them a mail and asked if they could do any better on the price as its a bit over the current budget. Will see how it goes!

You could always try this method, 100% dry and warm all the time...

http://imgur.com/a/JTBbC

• Advertisement

Goodlad, What did you go for in the end? I just bought the TCX S-R1 Gore-Tex in Cotters for 240. They're quite comfy and seem to offer a fair bit of protection. This is them

Advertisement