Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baddest cat

• 11-08-2014 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

My grandson brought home a small black bundle of wool a month ago. It came from a cat shelter so we were all very understanding and kind to it and we tried to make up for the bad start it had had in life.

For the first two days it was very quiet and shy and humble.

It's now bossing the house. It's only the size of a sock but it's behaving like a total yob.

I went into the kitchen this morning to find it had seized a corn on the cob I was saving for my dinner and eaten all the kernels off the top of it.

My grandson's sock drawer was raided; it made a nest in there, which is fair enough - then it decided to repatriate some of his socks to a more suitable place. He found a trail of socks leading out to the litter tray ... and there, sitting in the litter, were three socks drenched in eau du P.

The other day I found it standing in a bowl of potato salad I'd just made.

It terrorises my black and white cat by lepping out at her if she moves an eyebrow. She spends her days in the airing cupboard waiting till it's gone to bed.

My big ginger cat is about five times the size of it - it jumps on him from great heights and lands on his back like a cowboy escaping a bar room brawl.
    Basically, it's the most bould cat I've ever had in my life. I'm sure it was a ninja in a previous life.

I don't want it cured. I just want to know if anyone else has a badder cat.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

He's only a kitten! He'll eventually get sense.

Mine was a little fluffy bundle of terror for month 3-now of about 3 years old :pac:

When he wasn't launching himself at me off the wardrobe at 3am, he was falling into the toilet, climbing up the wallpaper, clawing my lovely leather couch, eating everything that was edible and left outside the fridge (brown bread, sweet potatoes, an entire guinea fowl that was defrosting)

Dragging in little presents for me to clean up, rolling in coal dust, following me to work and plaguing me to bring him home.....

Locking himself into the turf shed/cupboards was another one. And dismantling all my wires for the tv/straightener/lamp. Switching on and off the lightswitches, chasing the cows next door....

I'm sure there's about 5 million other things he did but better not remind myself of them now as he's cuddled up next to acting like a real sweetheart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

That's not a bad cat. That's a kitten just being a kitten. He doesn't know he shouldn't play with socks, or stand in the potato salad. :D He'll calm down with time.

I got my kittens when they were six months. Eddie shredded the bathroom curtains, disconnected the dishwasher drain pipe, broke into more bags of cat food than I can count, climbed up behind the kitchen drawers, knocked ornaments off the shelves and left sooty pawprints all over the fireplace surround.

You need a sense of humour to live with young cats. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Sorry OP I have no advice but your post made me laugh so much, I think it's the way you've written it, I just can picture you sitting indignantly at your computer whilst the kitten is creeping up behind you! Standing in a bowl of potato salad..!!

And Kovu - following you to work and demanding you bring him home, too funny.

Thanks guys I needed a laugh this morning :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

It's only the size of a sock
    The other day I found it standing in a bowl of potato salad

Hahahaha these bits really tickled me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Hmm, I've found our cats in the garbage bin (we had thrown away an empty ham package they just had to get to), had my passport peed on (I guess I was not suppose to travel), had a cat come into our bed stand in the middle and decide to do a full pee session with both of us sleeping at the start of it and of course run out through our front door when someone was leaving (they are indoor cats but one likes dogs and want to get to our neighbour's dog if possible).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

Sounds pretty normal alright, anything they can think of.......they will try! I'm just thinking that perhaps a little more play might help him to burn up some of that excess energy. I used to buy those little spongy golf ball sized packets of balls in Maxizoo and my little hairy black terrorist would play fetch with me.........a cat! But he loved it and would bring the ball back for me to throw again and again, until the dog realised what was going on and would confiscate the ball. Anyway, the kitten always told me when it was time to stop and we would have a lovely little "let me sleep on your lap while you stroke me" session which let his energy be a fun time for both of us and did wonders for building a lovely relationship between us.

Your post really made me laugh too but at the end of the day, cats are a gift and the love they give to their owners is a priviledge so get involved and enjoy him would be my advice to you! You're so lucky!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

I came home from work one day to find my gf had gotten a kitten.

Thing was a terror, used to walk around our bed with a claw under the duvet searching for toes to savage. She loved climbing up on presses and launching herself at us.

In terms of cost the worst was the hot water tank had that hardened foam insulation, she used it as her scratching post and by the time we moved out she had scratched it all off. We lost most of her deposit over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ticklebelly7

I know the fear of Toe Terrorism, Owryan. It normally sleeps with my grandson but if he's at his girlfriend's it will grace me with its Gracious Wooliness. It's fine till the early hours when it decides to engage in Hand-to-Foot manoeuvres. If I manage to keep my toes out of reach, it comes up and grasps my hand firmly, then kicks the living sh... out of it.

It will be in in a minute, climbing up the back of my desk chair like a sherpa, sticking its violent claws in the leather, then it will start batting the mouse point on screen and then it'll stick its nose in my tea.

After that we'll go and do the washing up. It absolutely has to stand up on the unit beside the sink / bath / toilet when there's any watery stuff going on. It's obsessed with water.
    It gets into the bath and stares up the taps... no, I haven't in case you were wondering, but it's only a matter of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Try playing with him more until he can barely move. He has a lot of energy so you just need to get him to use it up. He'll calm down over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭encore1

Oh this is too funny! You should catch some of his antics on video and stick it up on here. He sounds adorable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Standing in potato salad...seems legit! Kittens are bonkers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

You should write a blog about the kitten and his antics OP, your writing is very funny :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

Sounds like a regular kitten to me! I got two kittens summer and they were even worse than that haha thankfully they've calmed down now. I adopted a new kitten at the weekend completely forgetting what little terrors they can be!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Jikashi

"It's only the size of a sock"..."it had seized a corn on the cob I was saving for my dinner and eaten all the kernels off the top of it"

Post make me smile because despite everything he's probably adorable doing so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

I love your post OP. I just found a little kitten over the bank holiday weekend myself so I have a little tearaway in the house too. Bold bratty kittens are the best:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,656 ✭✭✭Milly33

haha in knots.. Nothing wrong as most have said his just being a kitten.. Laughing at the socks business!! He sounds delightful.

I had forgetting what kittens were like too, had the best behaved Persian cat from a kitten for years. Then after she died I got a kitten last year and his a fecking nutter..

Absolutely mad, he started off nice and quite as you say and then twas like f**k yeah this is my house now..

Got a fascination with he lamp shade on the roof and have caught him mid air trying to jump on that, he peed in the corners of the house marking the place (I was very close on getting rid of him for this).. He jumps on the dogs constantly up on hind legs and swots her.. His sense of space or direction is comical he does'nt have one so runs and slams into things..Picture a bath tub full of water, and like your own he likes to look at water so sometimes we leave him in the bath with the tap on. This day anywho himself had the tub full to wash bottles and in comes mr magic and jumps head first into it haha

I don't allow him on the counters but of course he did and I used one of those household spray guns to train him..Works great the min he see's it he knows his been bold.. He drove us nuts scrapping the door to get into the bedroom in the mornings... His great though love my little nut case.

For the peeing we eventually picked up one of the feliway plug ins and it is great. As he used to do it when we left and of course we left to go to work.Works wonders he does it rarely now..

I love hearing about all your bould cats... Milly33 I suspect I have a near relative of yours. Apart from the weeing. Our chap has it all sussed out. It will wee in its own tray but when it needs to do something more serious it goes to the Big Cats trays. See what I mean ... bad to the bone.

It's having a lie down now, tired out having conducted a few experiments in flying from the curtains, eating various insects and hanging off the red cat's back leg as he tries to leave the room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Honestly OP, your descriptive writing about your new bundle of joy has really made me laugh.... you should do a blog about your new addition... i think it would be hilarious!!

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

The ultimate lazy human cat toys are the laser dot pen and the Da Bird toy. You don't have to do much and the cat wears themself out while you basically sit on your butt. :D Zooplus do a very cheap version of Da Bird, they don't last long, then neither does the more expensive one.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

The ultimate lazy human cat toys are the laser dot pen and the Da Bird toy. You don't have to do much and the cat wears themself out while you basically sit on your butt. :D Zooplus do a very cheap version of Da Bird, they don't last long, then neither does the more expensive one.

I laughed at this, hubby bought a laser pen the other day and my 4yr old nephew spent ages chasing it!!

• Advertisement

I was just going to say the laser toy, we went through them all with Mr B but his interest lies in the shade, those clips you use to tie your hair back crocodile clips me thinks he plays fetch with them but hides them so you cant find them, but the laser toy just a pen himself picked it up and it drives the cat loopy he actually gets annoyed with it me thinks cus he cant catch it

It's been trying to be nice by purring at me like a hedge trimmer but I'm not fooled. This very loud purring is a form of mesmerism which it uses on those of a weakened intellect to persuade them it is a nice little fluffy mitten rather than the rampaging escapee from Assassins Creed which it really is. It wants something but I can't figure out what it is. It's had wet and dry food, it's had the red cat's food, it's had a lick of the yoghurt lid, it's jumped on the black and white cat, it's had a drink, it's had a bit of a love and a carry round. It's still snorking at me ...

... I've left it in the toilet sink with the tap on. It's biting water. That's its latest App

Haha!! It obviously wants the spot you are sitting on or wants to sit on you.. Mad creatures they are but so full of love

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭aqn29swlgbmiu4

Oh god I love when kittens get to that wild playful age

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Nelly 21

We had a kitten like that, he's now a year and a half and still full of trouble!! But you have to love him!! He also loves to swat my feet under the covers, he loves to climb the curtains, loves loves loves to torment our older cat!!! But also loves a cuddle when he wakes up, purrs like a tractor in my ear, loves to climb into the crook of my husbands arm and also has an adoration for bags and shoes!!!!

We can keep him calm by giving him loads to play with like the fishing rod toy ( fun for me too!), things that make a noise and things that he can pick up in his mouth and carry around!! Kittens love that!! Try to tire him with play, especially if he's an indoor cat.

Enjoy your kitten!!!

Well we've had another incident ... grandson stayed the weekend at his Dad's ... came back about 4 on Sunday. I could hear the screaming as he went into his bedroom and realised that, once more, he'd left the sock drawer open and Mitten had relocated about five of them to the cat tray. I made him photograph it so he has a constant reminder of this sock abuse - by the looks of things the Mitten was trying to cover up some poo this time!

It's now discovered it likes pasta - found it going round with a cooked curly pasta the other day, looked like a big white moustache on it.

I was reading a thread on here about ghosts this afternoon ... frightened the wee outta me when this black thing launched itself at me from the floor and landed on my shoulder with no warning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I must say I'm really enjoying reading the stories from you OP, they're fab!

It's watching Fish TV now. I've had to put a stool with a cushion on it in front of the fish-tank so it can get up close to the action.

... nope, it's back here now, massacring the laundry basket because obviously, it has ethical objections to socks and underwear. I've taken the clothes away now so it's contenting itself with kicking seven shades of doodoo outta da basket.

My other two cats were ferals, rescued as small kittens from a pub car park in east London. You'd think with that sort of background they'd be mad wild-eyed nutters who'd bite your toenails off as soon as look at you. But they're not. They're lovely civilised creatures who are actually very timid. This woolly yob strolls in, the cat equivalent of Danny Dyer but with more hair, and the Big Ones can't take a walk about the house without him pole dancing off their tails.

Right, it's Cat Nip time. This does be fun, watching the Mitten running round the front room walls at shoulder height while the Red Cat makes ineffectual attempts to catch and guzzle him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Can't wait to hear about the cat nip antics!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

This sounds like a work by Doctor Suess of Roald Dahl

Advertisement