Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robin Williams RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,566 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Every now and then, a celebrity will pass away and of course, it is a sad moment and I feel for that persons family and fans alike.

This news, it genuinely broke my heart. I grew up watching his movies and always felt like 'your good pal, Robin'. I was properly upset at the news, and even more so by the way in which he decided that he had to leave us. I had 2 friends who did the same thing when I was in school and college, so this means to an end hits a certain chord with me.

We'll always have his movies, his laugh, his smile and his endlessly funny jokes, but the world of movies really won't be the same (to me) without this man, I feel like I owe part of my youth to him, Mrs. Doubtfire still stands in my mind from seeing it in the cinema as a boy, and the laughter that filled the cinema was fantastic.

I feel like I've lost a mate today, he made me laugh as a boy, and now cry as a man.

Thanks for everything, Robin, you were one of a kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

This is the first celebrity death that I've actually felt personally sad about. I grew up with Robin Williams, Mrs Doubtfire, Aladdin, Jumanji, Hook, reruns of Mork And Mindy. Then I found his standup and his more serious roles as I got older. Genuine sense of loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

RIP Robin ... Everyone loved him except himself, it seems... So sad..
    Great memories of him from my childhood... As someone named the movies above....
    Good morning Vietnam and Dead Poets Society stood out for me...
    Mork and Mindy... wow, so many..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

FunLover18 wrote: »
    This is the first celebrity death that I've actually felt personally sad about. I grew up with Robin Williams, Mrs Doubtfire, Aladdin, Jumanji, Hook, reruns of Mork And Mindy. Then I found his standup and his more serious roles as I got older. Genuine sense of loss.

Oddly enough, I'm the same. For any other celeb death (whether I had an interest in the person or not), it'd be a sad death but I'd not be sad myself.

Williams though, as you say, was in the movies I watched growing up and of course Mork and Mindy. As I grew older I've enjoyed his more serious roles too. I actually feel a bit sad that he's gone. RIP.

Checking IMDB, he has 3 movies in post production, including the 3rd Night in the Museum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

FunLover18 wrote: »

+1

He seemed like such a nice guy...everybody loved him ( it seems...)
    Cant imagine how low he must have been to take his own life like that....

Very very sad...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭brevity

Gutted when I heard this. One of my favourite childhood actors and his performance in Good Will Hunting was excellent. He'll really be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

A genuine comedy genius. He made a lot of garbage but what actor hasn't. I'll always love the guy for his performance as Genie in Aladdin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Spoonman75 wrote: »
    The Fisher King. Watch this film. You think you know The Zany Robin Williams? Think again.

Great Film, one of my favourites. He wasn't zany over the top comedic zany, like in a lot of his films, more of a my wife is dead and I've lost my mind zany.
    Himself and Jeff Bridges were excellent in it.

RIP

I never liked Williams in his comedic roles, there was always something irritating about him but in his more dramatic roles he was generally very good. Worlds Greatest Dad is the high point of his career, a dark comedy which didn't allow him to mug for the camera and was all the better for it.

Someone I know put on one of his strand up DVDs awhile back and it was pretty poor, the kind of ott antics that just felt old. There's an old joke in the comedy world that goes, one time Robin Williams was at a stand up gig and didn't like any of the material and stole the comedians watch instead.

There's no doubt he was a talented entertainer but often it felt like he was desperate to be loved, his performances on chatshows were uncomfortable at the best of times and he never seemed able to relax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

This is a great speech from the 2005 Golden Globes.

I also want to thank the Hollywood Foreign Press for acknowledging comedy. Jim [Carrey] you know this. Normally, they look at comedians as, like, very special people... And you allow us to be in the room with the adults. You nominate us. You even have a category for us: comedy... and dancing! There's a lot of dancers that could've been up here tonight but they didn't make it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

Terrible news to wake up to this morning.

Like many here, I grew up watching and loved Mrs. Doubtfire, Hook, Aladdin and watching old episodes of Mork and Mindy. He played great parts in his more dramatic roles also in his latter career.

The world has just become a little less funny.

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Very very sad.

Rest easy Robin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

so sad xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

There's no doubt he was a talented entertainer but often it felt like he was desperate to be loved, his performances on chatshows were uncomfortable at the best of times and he never seemed able to relax.

The same is true of most comedians - desperation to be loved is the birthplace of comedy. There's a reason so many incredibly funny people struggle with depression.

RIP Robin. You'll be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

This is a great speech from the 2005 Golden Globes.

I also want to thank the Hollywood Foreign Press for acknowledging comedy. Jim [Carrey] you know this. Normally, they look at comedians as, like, very special people... And you allow us to be in the room with the adults. You nominate us. You even have a category for us: comedy... and dancing! There's a lot of dancers that could've been up here tonight but they didn't make it!

Wow. God I'm in tears after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Shocked when i heard this too.

others have pretty much said it all but i want to echo the sentiment that its one that really hit me. been a part of my life since mork and mindy and as well as being a remarkable comedic tallent he was an incredibly emotive dramatic actor.

gonna be missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

This from Parkinson - posted it elsewhere here this morning but since there's a thread in his name, linking it here - just for the laughs, RIP a great talent !
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SPz6JKGlzSI

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭RickyWed

Even the rich and famous people have their problems...
    Rip to this fantastic actor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

I'm sure he was a nice guy and it's sad news, but as an actor/comedian I wouldn't rate him at all.

The line 'Staring Robin Williams' over the last couple of decades was basically movie shorthand for 'This film is awful'.

Most of his roles seemed intent at crowbarring in the whole sense of 'childlike wonder' and 'mawkish sentimentality' .

His best roles imo were in Good Morning Vietnam and The Birdcage.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Old'n'Cranky

sad, sad news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

When I heard this first I was hoping this was just another joke, one of those fake deaths that circle social media all the time, horrible to realise it’s actually true. Love this man, grew up watching him in Mork & Mindy & Dead Poets Society is one of my favourite movies.

Can’t begin to imagine what he was going through to take his life in this way, you just never know. Your suffering is over now RIP O Captain my Captain. Condolences to your family.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

one hour photo brilliant in that

RIP

Raphael wrote: »
    The same is true of most comedians - desperation to be loved is the birthplace of comedy. There's a reason so many incredibly funny people struggle with depression.

RIP Robin. You'll be missed.

There is that element to it, depression and comedy go hand in hand but Williams just seemed desperate for any attention. Most comedians can relax a little but he seemed constantly on edge, so much so that it made it difficult to find him funny in those rare occasions when he genuinely was.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Very sad indeed. Grew up with Robin Williams' films like Hook, Alladin and Mrs. Doubtfire.

In later times I would probably mostly think of him in "The Birdcage" and "Patch Adams".

His chemistry in the Birdcage with Nathan Lane is excellent, though perhaps Lane stole the show as "Albert/Starina".

Patch Adams on the other hand is just a rather simple film, perhaps trying to deliver a complex message, but I think it was Williams' portrayal of Patch's genuine care and desire to reach out to fellow humans that sticks with me in that film (rather than the "laughs") - I often thought that his Patch character showed the kind of person that Robin appeared to be himself in real life.

Sad loss. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Very sad RIP

The poor man suffered with severe depression and like so many with the disease sought to ease the pain with drugs and alcohol. The man was a comic genius - may he be in peace now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Im so shocked like everyone else, such a talented man,so so sad, RIP Robin:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Hellohalo

Terrible thing to wake up to. These days I dread to hear the news.. when stuff like this happens. When I as younger it would pass over my head but now it definitely affects me more. Same feeling when you get a call from family at a weird time. RIP Robin Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Really thought it was going to be a stupid hoax when I heard it this morning. Very sad. Huge part of my childhood and one of the reasons I love movies. The world has lost a big talent. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

HULK Sad......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROS123

Gooooooooooood Byeeeeeeeeeeeee Robin Williams RIP

Advertisement