Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robin Williams RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Great actor, my favorite roles were actually his darker ones, insomnia springs to mind as being his best.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,622 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Sad news.

Loved his work with stand-up protege Bobcat Goldthwaite, 'World's Greatest Dad' and his cameo in 'Shakes The Clown'.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Still gutted after reading about it last night, was like losing a friend you saw every now and again as I grew up constantly watching Mork & Mindy and his movies and regularly slapped one on. He was handy for the aul lad when he would rent a film out for us, couldn't go too wrong with a Robin William's comedy movie for the kids :pac:

He made a lot of schmaltzy, tug at the heart-strings guff in the later years but not enough to damage his legacy and the genuinely great films he made. I always enjoyed his presence in whatever he was in.

His humour and energy grated some people with his constant manic style on chatshows / interviews / comedy movies but that's the side I loved about him on top of his ability for serious roles. There's plenty of interviews where he tones down the humour and shows a far more deeper intellectual side to him than people gave him credit for.

He was generally seen by people in the industry and the public as a genuinely nice person.

The man battled his demons for many years but unfortunately they finally consumed him, hopefully his death will hammer home to a lot of people that sometimes there's a different person hiding behind that mask.

He was a fascinating character, shared my interest in monkeys like the time he met Koko:

Was planning to go San Francisco soon so I now I have more reason to go to the zoo and see the howler monkey they named after him earlier in the summer.
    10380764_509038369197712_6434058298501440857_n.jpg

He was a hairy man so it's probably as close as I'll get now to meeting him :pac:

A Williams marathon is in order now, me-thinks. His last appearance on Graham Norton had us in stitches and got us to rewatch some of his films.

I'll miss the mad bastard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Spoonman75

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Great Film, one of my favourites. He wasn't zany over the top comedic zany, like in a lot of his films, more of a my wife is dead and I've lost my mind zany.
    Himself and Jeff Bridges were excellent in it.

RIP

Yeah. I agree. I knew the basic story before I watched the film so I assumed it would be the crazy Williams you see in interviews and in his stand up. But his performance was not like that. As you said more of a "My wife is dead and I've lost my mind zany". Not the performance I was expecting.

And I thought Amanda Plummer was excellent aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I just heard after Home & Away on RTE 1 finished, that as a tribute to Robin William's passing, RTE 2 will showing Insomnia at 10:10pm on Thursday Night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

And if these pictures have anything important to say to future generations, it's this: I was here. I existed. I was young, I was happy, and someone cared enough about me in this world to take my picture - One Hour Photo

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Not since Freddie Mercury passed away have I felt like the world is such a poorer place for the departure of one of it's greats. I assume it's a generational thing as, like so many others have mentioned here, he was in so many of the movies I watched growing up but it really feels as if the world has lost a true polymath of the entertainment world.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭brevity

Patton Oswalt ‏@pattonoswalt

"But doctor, I AM Pagliacci." That's the only way this makes sense. Can't stand thinking of him being that sad. #RIPRobinWilliams

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Ravenid

Really sad news.

He's got 4 more movies coming out including one called "Absolutely Anything" which will be his last.

Kinda hard to say if I would have preferred a darker "One Hour Photo" type role instead but he will be definitely missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

article-2722409-2076184A00000578-353_634x421.jpg

RIP Robin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Sky 1 showing Jumanji right now. Wasn't scheduled, nice touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

Sad news, obviously. An amazing talent who sadly had his demons.

Bacchus wrote: »
    Sky 1 showing Jumanji right now. Wasn't scheduled, nice touch.

Good spot, followed by 'Awakenings'.

Showing his comedic side and his serious side.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,482 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sarah Michelle Gellar statement

"My life is a better place because I knew Robin Williams," Gellar said. "To my children he was Uncle Robin, to everyone he worked with, he was the best boss anyone had ever known, and to me he was not just an inspiration but he was the Father I had always dreamed of having. There are not enough adjectives to describe the light he was, to anyone that ever had the pleasure to meet him. I will miss him everyday, but I know the memory of him will live on. And to his family, I thank them for letting us know him and seeing the joy they brought him. Us crazy ones love you." Gellar also went on to say, "God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

http://www.people.com/article/robin-williams-dies-sarah-michelle-gellar-remembers-costar

Also spotted (for those with Sky Atlantic)...

Tonight at 11.45pm, Robin performing stand-up - 'Set List Stand-Up Without A Net'.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

3rdDegree wrote: »
    ?

Random at 4chan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

RIP Robin.

It's sad to think that a man who made so many of us smile and laugh could have been so unhappy behind it all.

I hope he's at peace now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,566 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Jimmy Fallon, clearly heartbroken, but a classy tribute. Well played.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Someone mentioned Koko earlier
    In 2001, Koko the gorilla, famous for her ability to communicate using sign language, spent a day with Williams.

During the meeting, which the legendary actor called "mind-altering" and "unforgettable," the duo chatted and had fun together, even tickling each other. It was "a blast," the actor said at the time.

But according to The Gorilla Foundation, it was more than just fun and games. Williams, they said, managed to do something that day that was truly extraordinary: He made Koko smile.

At the time of her meeting with Williams, Koko hadn't cracked a smile in more than six months -- "ever since her lifelong gorilla companion, Michael, passed away," according to the conservation group.

"Koko and Robin’s encounter is a supreme example of how humans and gorillas can overcome interspecies boundaries and express the highest form of empathy -- embracing differences," wrote the foundation in a news release. "Robin’s ability to just 'hang out' with Koko, a gorilla, and in minutes become one of her closest friends, was extraordinary and unforgettable for Koko."

On Monday, the foundation's co-founder, Penny Patterson, reportedly broke the news to Koko that Williams had died. The gorilla is said to have reacted strongly, becoming very sad and somber as she bowed her head, her lip quivering.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/13/koko-gorilla-robin-williams_n_5675300.html
    Her trainer Penny Patterson said that when news broke of Williams’ death and Koko heard someone crying, the gorilla signed “cry lip” and withdrew. She bowed her head and her lip quivered.

https://uk.yahoo.com/movies/koko-the-gorilla-cries-over-robin-williams-94619476571.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

^^^ sorry, but nope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Anywhere besides Dublin showing Williams films to the public this weekend? Would be cool to watch a film of his with a crowd.

They showed Mrs Doubtfire here in Vancouver on Tuesday night in Stanley Park.

Statement from his wife.
    “Robin spent so much of his life helping others. Whether he was entertaining millions on stage, film or television, our troops on the frontlines, or comforting a sick child — Robin wanted us to laugh and to feel less afraid.
    Since his passing, all of us who loved Robin have found some solace in the tremendous outpouring of affection and admiration for him from the millions of people whose lives he touched. His greatest legacy, besides his three children, is the joy and happiness he offered to others, particularly to those fighting personal battles.
    Robin's sobriety was intact and he was brave as he struggled with his own battles of depression, anxiety as well as early stages of Parkinson's Disease, which he was not yet ready to share publicly.
    It is our hope in the wake of Robin’s tragic passing, that others will find the strength to seek the care and support they need to treat whatever battles they are facing so they may feel less afraid.”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Very very sad news :(
    One of the very best in movie and comedy, RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Good Will Hunting will be shown across ireland (26th aug) in odeon cinemas

proceeds go to suicide prevention charites

Billy Crystal leading an Emmys tribute to Robin tonight

One year on already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    One year on already

**** Off!

Hasn't even felt like 1 month, honestly how has this been a year already!?

Advertisement