Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Irish musician(s)?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

kbell wrote: »
    Thats a list of popular, doesn't make them any good.

I think you'll find it does.

Art is subjective, all those artists are around a long while so are clearly "good" to their fan base.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

kbell wrote: »
    Thats a list of popular, doesn't make them any good.

Thin Lizzy and Rory Gallagher are widely regarded as some of the most talented rock musicians of all time, and you can say what you want about Bono, I wouldn't be too gone on U2 myself, but his songwriting talent is undeniable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Mary Coughlan
    Rory Gallagher
    Phil Lynott
    David McWilliams:

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

I'm shocked no one mentioned The Fureys.

http://youtu.be/z265BuKCQrc

In terms of musicians, Sharon Shannon, Seamie O Dowd, Rory Gallagher, Glen Hansard, Damian Rice, Ryan Sheridan, Donal Lunny, Barney McKenna, Luke Kelly, Stevie Appleby from Little Green Cars, Donal and Pierce from Túcan, Van Morrison and Terry Woods.

Anyone heading to the fleadh could do worse than heading to see Rackhouse Pilfer in 5th on teeling on thursday/friday or saturday night. Great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Ash?!!!!!! Ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Sharon Shannon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Eric Roche. Possibly the second most innovative Irish guitarist after Rory.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 irishleeds

Kodaline are doing alright...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The Smiths

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

I think people often can be quite judgemental about music, particularly when it comes to Irish acts. Like say for example when I say that my two favourite Irish acts are Bell x1 and Declan O'Rourke, I'm sure there are plenty of people who would dismiss both of those. But I like their music a lot, their lyrics appeal to me and they do brilliant live shows.

Sure, they might not be the greatest but they entertain me and many others more than the other acts do so they don't deserve to be dismissed. It's the same when people mention Glen Hansard. Both he and The Frames, as well as his many other ventures, not to mention his Oscar success is surely worth applauding- yet so many people don't want to give him any acknowledgement. I saw him perform with Bruce Springsteen in Kilkenny last summer and he was fantastic. And clearly absolutely loved being up there, as did Bruce performing with him.

There are enough Irish acts out there for us all to have our own "greatest" without putting down the ones we might not particularly like ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Four pages in and not a mention of Damian Dempsey. Not a fan myself but he seems to have a lot of people who like him a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Eileen Down

Well, I'm going to be a total wanker and say Aphex Twin cos he was born here.

+ saw1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Hozier

• Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭blue note

We've had some great acts in fairness. In particular for me;

Van Morrison
    The Pogues
    Rory Gallagher

Others worthy of mention but that don't get played on my CD player as much would be Sinead O'Connor, U2, Christy Moore, the Frames, Thin Lizzy, Damien Rice and I'm sure plenty more I'm forgetting about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

Has to be Thin Lizzy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Glen Hansard, Damien Rice and Lisa Hannigan for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

'How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world?.I dont know,go ask Rory Gallagher'. - Jimi Hendrix

Slash also wanted to get him in the hall of fame
    http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/slash_pushes_to_get_rory_gallagher_into_hall_of_fame.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

sabat wrote: »
    All told a pretty mediocre selection. David Holmes "better" than any of those mentioned

I like David Holmes but come on.

I'd go with Van Morrison, Kevin Shields (My Bloody Valentine), Thin Lizzy, Paul Cleary, U2, Bothy Band, and the Pogues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭RickyWed

Must go with U2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Sultans of Ping
    Fred
    Oasis

all deserve a mention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

The Strypes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

Has to be My Bloody Valentine. One of the few Irish bands who were really innovators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

A House
    Into Paradise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Andy Irvine has to be mentioned here. Himself and Paul Brady were one of the best folk duos in Irish history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

ummm... hard call between The Radiators, The Blades, The Golden Horde and The Boomtown Rats....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

FTA69 wrote: »
    Andy Irvine has to be mentioned here.

Forgot about Planxty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Everlong1

I must mention a band I personally think were one of the most under rated Irish bands ever: Something Happens. They were a seriously talented band who produced at least three albums of cracking guitar pop and they should have been huge. If you compare them to say, Weezer, who play a similar type of music but have had massive success, it's criminal that the Happens never went beyond filling the usual Irish mid level venues.

Lots of love for Paul Cleary too - both Blades and The Partisans (would love to see the Partisans one and only six track mini album reissued on CD.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

another one for Rory

Brilliant musician and all round good guy, if he released a single or two in his hayday he would of been as well know as Hendrix \ Clapton

Glad he didn't though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

for musicianship, guitarists Arty McGlynn (trad) and Louis Stewart (jazz), plus uillean piper, John McSherry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Luke Kelly
    The Clancy brothers ( Liam in particular)
    Dolores Keane
    Declan O rourke
    Paul Brady
    Tommy makem
    Al O Donnell

Would be my list. Luke Kelly bring our best in my opinion :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Villagers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

John O'Connor is one of the finest concert pianists in the world.

It is arguably impossible to toss up whether John O'Connor is a better musician than Rory Gallagher or not. You really can only easily classify musicians within genre imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

B*Witched

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭josip

Liam Clancy - "The best ballad singer I ever heard in my life", Bob Dylan
    John McCormack - "I can do little for this boy except to teach him how use his voice ... God has done all the rest", Sabatini

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I wouldn't be mad about trad by any means, but I picked up a vinyl copy of Seamus Ennis' 'The Wandering Minstrel' on ebay and it absolutely blew me away.

The chap rocks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

The Pogues? U2?

Ok, the Pogues are alright, used to love U2 but one band is more Irish than both, 4 members, 8 Irish parents.

I give you...The Smiths.

No competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Birneybau wrote: »
    The Pogues? U2?

Ok, the Pogues are alright, used to love U2 but one band is more Irish than both, 4 members, 8 Irish parents.

I give you...The Smiths.

No competition.

Morrissey's heart is apparently English, that may take away from it somewhat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,980 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

I think there's a huge amount of great Irish singers and musicians to choose from. Some examples of those who come to mind include Luke Kelly, Planxty, Christy Moore, Phil Lynnott, Rory Gallagher, Dolores Keane, De Dannan, Paul Brady, Andy Irvine, Clancy Brothers/Liam Clancy, Wolfe Tones, Fureys, U2, etc, etc. Also the OLDER country music like Big Tom is grand too.

In fact, most Irish music is grand apart from that new age country and Irish stuff. Someone mentioned sarcastically Richie Kavanagh, Conall Gallen and Mike Denver. The latter is what I'm talking about: him and Derek Ryan, 3 Amigos and all that stuff. Richie and Conall are unashamedly culchie comedy acts and are good at what they do and have funny and witty songs. Denver takes himself seriously and is a caricature of bad country music at its worst. It is scary how popular this stuff is. I will always remind anyone I meet who does not like Daniel (who is a decent artist in the grand scheme of things) about the existence of this stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Something Happens

Advertisement