Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming PC €1000, help or suggestions please

Options
  • 12-08-2014 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hardwareversand

CPU | Intel Core i5-4690K Box, LGA1150 - 208.99
    MainBoard | MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX AC, ATX, Sockel 1150 - 202.64
    RAM | 16GB G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-10667U CL9 - 140.50
    Case | Cooler Master K380 mit Sichtfenster, schwarz - 39,12
    Graphics | PowerColor Radeon HD 7970 V3, 3GB GDDR5 -269,41
    Power Suply | Cooler Master B700, 700 Watt -60.61
    SSD | Samsung SSD 840 EVO Basic 250GB SATA 6Gb/s - 106,99

Total: 1028.26

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Wiseman19x

Just using it for gaming and programming. I just don't know much about this stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You're spending quite a lot on the board, could definitely spend a good bit less.

16GB of ram isn't really necessary, unless there's a particular reason you need that much.

7970 is still a good card but it's last gen, you'd be better off getting the replacement R9 280x. I'd personally get a cheaper board, 8Gb of ram, and use those savings to bump the card up to an R9 290, which is an excellent gaming card (assuming you're gaming at minimum 1080p and aiming for ultra settings with AA).

I have made the changes and also added extra storage for my own sake. Also I am not too interested in overclocking so would the stock fan do or should I get one?

Intel Core i5-4690K Box, LGA1150 208,99 €
    MSI Z87 MPOWER SP, ATX, Sockel 1150 154,34 €
    4GB-Kit G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-12800U CL9 42,69 €
    4GB-Kit G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-12800U CL9 42,69 €
    Cooler Master K380 mit Sichtfenster, schwarz 39,12 €
    Thermaltake Smart SE 730W / Modular 71,00 €
    HIS R9 290 iPower IceQ X² OC 4GB GDDR5 2XDLDVI-D/DP/HDMI 332,79 €
    WD Blue 1TB 6Gb's 49,81 €
    Samsung SSD 840 EVO Basic 250GB SATA 6Gb/s 106,99 €

Total value: 1.048,41 €

If your not overclocking, no point getting the K version of the CPU, just get the regular one.

its a €10 difference don't see why not like. Do you think the stock fan would suffice? Also thanks for the help so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭emoore1223

If you spending that much on a system, I'd get a better cooler for the CPU. The stock CPU coolers are notoriously bad.

I was the same when building my system, I had no intention in overclocking so I decided to use the stock fan that came with my AMD processor, worst decision I made, it spins non-stop and is the lowest fan I've ever heard. Do yourself a favour and invest in a better fan

Ya I have added a Corsair Hydro Series H60. Main reason is its easy to install , Don't really trust myself to do it. Hardwareversand won't install the fan as standard.

I used amazon for my build, have you tried sourcing parts there?? If you want, I could assemble it for you.

I have tried to do a few but hardwareversand came strongly recommended to me. I have a friend who said he will do it and he lives in the house so its not too bad. Just a bit of a newb when it comes to hardware. Really appreciate the offer though!

Added the ram back again and the cooling. Look good?

Intel Core i5-4690K Box, LGA1150 208,99 €
    Corsair Hydro Series H60 61,92 €
    8GB Corsair Vengeance PC3-12800U CL10-10-10-27 78,06 €
    Aerocool X-Warrior Devil Red Edition, ATX, ohne Netzteil 44,90 €

Total: 1176.86

emoore1223 wrote: »
    If you spending that much on a system, I'd get a better cooler for the CPU. The stock CPU coolers are notoriously bad.

No, they're not. Intel's stock fan is fine, it's not even too bad for mild overclocking, actually. I still use Intel's stock cooler.

I agree AMD's stock coolers are often rubbish, but he's not buying an AMD processor.

Again if you're not overclocking there is no need for the K processor. You do realise that the only difference between the K and non-K is that it can be overclocked - there is no actual difference in the speed of the processor. It's a €20 euro difference.

If you plan doing some overclocking, the H60 and K CPU are good buys. If not, both are a total waste really. If you're not overclocking the board is also overkill.

So that's €20 from the CPU, €50-60 from the board and €60 from the H60 you could be saving (or putting into something else) if you actually don't plan on overclocking.

• Advertisement

I have made the changes. You speak sense my friend, I can't really find any cheaper motherboards. Any suggestions?

Intel Core i5-4690 in-a-Box 191,22 €
    Scythe Katana 3, nur für Intel-CPUs 18,96 €
    Aerocool X-Warrior Devil Red Edition, ATX, ohne Netzteil 44,90 €

Total value: 1126.68

Something like this or this would be fine for you.

If you're getting a third party cooler, you can get the 4690 'tray' for a few euro cheaper, it's the same thing just minus the stock cooler, though then again it can be handy to have a spare cooler just in case.

I am gonna stick with the board I have just because I looked into it and it has great reviews!

Really appreciate your help man! Got the Final build set now

If you're going to stick with that board you might as well get the K cpu and plan on overclocking because otherwise you're really just wasting money...it's an enthusiast board, someone who has no intention of overclocking or essentially doing nothing out of the ordinary with the PC is not going to have any use for it.

Up to yourself but it's not far off a blind man paying more for a t-shirt because he prefers the color.

Maybe so but the ones linked above had terrible reviews that I found. Also if blind man wants to look good nothing wrong with a bit of style!

Wiseman19x wrote: »
    Maybe so but the ones linked above had terrible reviews that I found. Also if blind man wants to look good nothing wrong with a bit of style!

Haha well said. But seriously, its your computer and if you want to use certain parts its completely up to you. The end of the day you could choose to ignore everything said and just build the machine you want.

When I built my machine I started with a €500 budget, I ended up spending close to €700, just because I saw value in upgrading individual components.
    Now I have a pc which is overpowered for what I'm using it for but at least I know I wont have to do any major upgrades any time soon and I love the freedom of knowing I can play any game and not have to check the specs first.

At the end of the day, it's your machine and you'll have to live with the good and maybe bad decisions you could make, that's the beauty of making your own, if it goes right that is :)

Also, will this be your primary pc? do you have a lot of music, pictures, files?

A 1tb hard drive might be a good addition to store any music, pictures or files
    and you could save the SSD for your os system and programs you use a lot.

Have you factored in the price for an OS system, monitor(s), keyboard and mouse?

Just a question, because when I built my system I forgot to factor in the OS system in the budget, was left a bit embarrassed when I had to tell my father haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

I am gonna stick with the board I have just because I looked into it and it has great reviews!

Really appreciate your help man! Got the Final build set now

My penis gets great reviews does not mean it is right for you.

I'd consider dropping the board down to a cheaper (still good reviews board)
    and using the extra to get an I7 4970. You are not into overclocking and this will give you extra vroom and add to the longevity/value of the pc. a fancy board does not..

That's just my opinion. Only really pc enthusiasts on a 3000 budget bother with boards that expensive. not because they're super amazing compared to the 150 range. simply because they can.

Look games are taking advantage of more cores now. You have the budget to squeeze an I7 since you are getting the expensive board. Just consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Eoghan S

My penis gets great reviews does not mean it is right for you.

Archer_zpsafc219b7.jpg

Well said, sir.

I upgraded it to an i7, I am still going to keep the more reliable board , for the sake of an extra 50 euro I think its worth it. Even just for peace of mind.

I have keyboard, windows and a mouse from my old rig!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭al.

Dont forget to run everything through Geizhals.de - it knocks an extra €10 off the CPU alone and about €15 off the graphics card. Put everything through and it could save you 60 - 70 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

I upgraded it to an i7, I am still going to keep the more reliable board , for the sake of an extra 50 euro I think its worth it. Even just for peace of mind.

I have keyboard, windows and a mouse from my old rig!

An i7 K or regular i7?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shamelessidiot

You might have BIOS issues an 8 series (Z87, H87) motherboard with a Haswell refresh CPU, just get a 9 series (Z97, H97) board which is designed specifically for refresh CPUs.

Advertisement