Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Problem

Options
  • 12-08-2014 2:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

Having a problem with my PC every now and again it will just complete cut off like the power cable was pulled out, but it turns straight back on so it isn't a over heating issue, plus there has just been new thermal paste applied to the heat sink and CPU and temps are better then ever.

It is completely random when this happens general it is when i'm playing Dota 2 but i play the game a lot so it has most chance of happening when in game, but has happened when just roaming the internet not doing nothing intensive.

This could happen 3 times in a week and might'n happen again for another month iv'e checked the Mobo for any faults, broke capacitor i see nothing, the computer is getting on 2 years old. I do have the odd graphic issues aswell we the screen goes all messed up that was, on another thread i had and doesn't happen to much no more, so i honestly have no clue what the fault is.

iv'e seen on some sites and they are saying get another PSU and check to see if hat is the problem and yes i shall do that but don't have the money atm.

I'm still edging it toward my GPU because that's the only thing to cause problems in the past.

I have worked in a PC repair shop and i repair pc's on regular bases, iv'e never seen a virus to do anything along the lines of it and i'm monitoring my CPU and GPU constantly.

So if anyone has any ideas be much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭jos22

I had issue like that before. could be watching a bluray and screen cut to no signal and system would them reboot. also would happen at random could be fine for few days then could happen 3 day in a row.

anyway it turned out to be the GPU, after getting it RMA'd the system has given no issues what so ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭LukeyKid

jos22 wrote: »
    I had issue like that before. could be watching a bluray and screen cut to no signal and system would them reboot. also would happen at random could be fine for few days then could happen 3 day in a row.

anyway it turned out to be the GPU, after getting it RMA'd the system has given no issues what so ever.

Oh okay so it more then likely is my GPU what is RMA'd ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭jos22

LukeyKid wrote: »
    Oh okay so it more then likely is my GPU what is RMA'd ?

return merchandise authorization

they required when returning items online, some place will perform test on the product RMA'd to see if it was damaged by the Use ( like over clocking a gpu)

jos22 wrote: »
    return merchandise authorization

they required when returning items online, some place will perform test on the product RMA'd to see if it was damaged by the Use ( like over clocking a gpu)

Okay well my warranty is gone i think i haven't checked yet, and it came factory over clocked and i fiddled with it, nothing bad i looked up the limits and stuff and then went significantly lower to make sure its safe and no i have it below the normal clock because i was seeing would it make and differ and it didnt so i dont no tbh :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Highly probable that it's the GPU, but check whether updating the GPU bios, GPU drivers and motherboard drivers is possible.
    A high proportion of Nvidia and AMD graphics solutions are unstable for months after they are first released.
    I've had AMD GPU solutions (without overclocking etc) take 8 bios updates and a year before they stopped behaving as you described.

Disabling GPU acceleration in flash (right click on a video and choose settings) is likely to stop the computer crashing while internet browsing.

• Advertisement

ressem wrote: »
    Highly probable that it's the GPU, but check whether updating the GPU bios, GPU drivers and motherboard drivers is possible.
    A high proportion of Nvidia and AMD graphics solutions are unstable for months after they are first released.
    I've had AMD GPU solutions (without overclocking etc) take 8 bios updates and a year before they stopped behaving as you described.

Disabling GPU acceleration in flash (right click on a video and choose settings) is likely to stop the computer crashing while internet browsing.

Oh well that's slightly better news that it could just be driver issues :) well ill go and try update everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Hello first time poster on this thread I have a problem with my acre laptop tuned it on this morning and it started windows configuration went thru the stages to 100% but now appearing on screen it's saying failure configuring windows update and reverting changes any help or suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

If its only turning off when under load, your power supply could be the issue, what type of power supply are you using?

I said wrote: »
    Hello first time poster on this thread I have a problem with my acre laptop tuned it on this morning and it started windows configuration went thru the stages to 100% but now appearing on screen it's saying failure configuring windows update and reverting changes any help or suggestions

Does this happen everytime you turn on the laptop ?
    PropJoe10 wrote: »
    If its only turning off when under load, your power supply could be the issue, what type of power supply are you using?

And yeah i was thinking that to but i have a Cool Master GX 550, Its not a bad power supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I said wrote: »

I would disable your antivirus program and run the updates again. Should work then with no problems.

To the OP - its really a matter of testing different components at this stage, to find the problem. If you can, try with a different graphics card, different PSU and see when the problems stops happening. Could be a motherboard issue but its more likely to be something else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I would disable your antivirus program and run the updates again. Should work then with no problems.

To the OP - its really a matter of testing different components at this stage, to find the problem. If you can, try with a different graphics card, different PSU and see when the problems stops happening. Could be a motherboard issue but its more likely to be something else.

It's working now no probs

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

And yeah i was thinking that to but i have a Cool Master GX 550, Its not a bad power supply.

Even good PSUs can go bad. If your system is loosing power I'd suspect power supply. Do you have a spare or a friend that could lend you one?

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Even good PSUs can go bad. If your system is loosing power I'd suspect power supply. Do you have a spare or a friend that could lend you one?

Nick

Well i might be able to borrow one of the PC shop i worked for, but if it was the power supply wouldn't it be a constant problem, like when ever i'm on Facebook i my main screen is fine but my top screen with like stutter, i don't no if that's a great way to explain but its like the screen get squished up for a second or to and then goes back fine but this always happens when i'm on Facebook every time, So all this little problems make me thing there is something wrong with the GPU and that's whats making it cut out could the computer switch off if the GPU gets to hot, Would it be a normal thing that the thermal paste for the GPU needs resetting ?

That facebook issue really sounds like a driver problem. If you look through graphics driver release notes, you'll often see glitches like this affecting one program or another.

Any other info?

Anything relevant in the windows event logs?

Using Win7 or win 8? (win 8 seems better at catching and recovering from graphic driver crashes )

Is windows set to autorestart when it encounters a kernel bug? (system properties\ Advanced\Start-up and recovery settings; Uncheck the 'automatically restart' checkbox.). This is to ensure that an attempt to provide a blue-screen message isn't being skipped.

You've upgraded:
    the GPU Bios and the motherboard bios to the latest versions?
    Any chance of the make and models?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Well i might be able to borrow one of the PC shop i worked for, but if it was the power supply wouldn't it be a constant problem, like when ever i'm on Facebook i my main screen is fine but my top screen with like stutter, i don't no if that's a great way to explain but its like the screen get squished up for a second or to and then goes back fine but this always happens when i'm on Facebook every time, So all this little problems make me thing there is something wrong with the GPU and that's whats making it cut out could the computer switch off if the GPU gets to hot, Would it be a normal thing that the thermal paste for the GPU needs resetting ?

It could be the GPU, it could also be an inconsistent supply of power to the GPU. Most GPUs do run hot to touch, doesn't mean its a problem with it :) . Those things can reach fairly high temperatures under load and be ok.
    I'm not sure an overheating GPU will cause a system to suddenly shut off, CPU would but not too sure about GPU.. Try another PSU and see before buying another video card is what I'd do, good to rule out everything you can before spending :)

Nick

Running a GPU stress test program might help to find a cause?

i.e. if the shutdown is bios or driver related then it'll either not happen at all or crash at a particular point repeatedly as different functions of the card are tested.

If it doesn't crash at all, that would suggest that it isn't power or heat related.
    http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

Are you running an application to check how hot the GPU is getting?
    http://www.geeks3d.com/20140312/gpu-shark-0-8-0-released/

Or if you'd prefer to play it safe, just run Dota at
    lower resolution,
    lower detail textures etc and temperatures and power demand should drop a lot.
    Disable one graphics effect at a time.
    If it still crashes, or is stable without some particular effect, then it indicates software / firmware issues.

yoyo wrote: »
    It could be the GPU, it could also be an inconsistent supply of power to the GPU. Most GPUs do run hot to touch, doesn't mean its a problem with it :) . Those things can reach fairly high temperatures under load and be ok.
    I'm not sure an overheating GPU will cause a system to suddenly shut off, CPU would but not too sure about GPU.. Try another PSU and see before buying another video card is what I'd do, good to rule out everything you can before spending :)

Nick
    ressem wrote: »
    Running a GPU stress test program might help to find a cause?

i.e. if the shutdown is bios or driver related then it'll either not happen at all or crash at a particular point repeatedly as different functions of the card are tested.

If it doesn't crash at all, that would suggest that it isn't power or heat related.
    http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

Are you running an application to check how hot the GPU is getting?
    http://www.geeks3d.com/20140312/gpu-shark-0-8-0-released/

Or if you'd prefer to play it safe, just run Dota at
    lower resolution,
    lower detail textures etc and temperatures and power demand should drop a lot.
    Disable one graphics effect at a time.
    If it still crashes, or is stable without some particular effect, then it indicates software / firmware issues.

Thanks Nick,
    Yeah ill try that :)

and Ressem thanks but it would take far to long to try that because i play dota a lot and this happens when it wants to not ever time hasent happend since i put up this thread its a random thing so trying to do it your way would take a lot of time :/

Advertisement