Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a cat die of shock?

• 12-08-2014 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭

Found our 10yr old cat laying dead in the back garden yesterday, never had any health problems in all his 10 yrs and was his normal self all day before.....found him laying not far from a garden table and parasol which had been blown over by the wind on our decking.....I'm wondering would the bang have done it?? .........the vet did say he had a heart murmur when he was a kitten but other than that like say he was always full of life......very distressing

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

It's possible but could also be something completely different and only a vet can say for sure (and even then in most cases they can't make a firm call on it); either way condolences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Yes, it's possible that the fright elevated his heartrate to the point where he had a heart attack. It's also possible that it was just his time and the parasol was just a coincidence. Poor kitty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Sorry to hear that.

Anything's possible, particularly if he had a pre-existing heart condition.
    Wouldn't necessarily have been 'shock' but maybe his heart just didn't handle the adrenaline rush?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

I have no idea what could have caused it but I sure know how you're feeling at the moment. You have my deepest sympathy, it's one of life's hardest knocks. I'm really very sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Yes it is very hard, been through it before with 2 dogs and another cat but they all came to and end naturally old age and sickness....funny thing is his sister who's also 10 is the one with all the medical problems, diabetic on daily insulin and tablets for her kidneys but never a bother on this fella.....and she's definitely missing her companion, can see it in her

• Advertisement
Advertisement