Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

single parents and work

Options
  • 12-08-2014 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

As a lone parent I wanted to better myself by getting an education and a degree. In September 2013, I started in college doing a three year course. After two appeals with a letter from my local TD, I was denied my grant based on my parents income as I am seen as a dependent because I am under the age of 23 even though I do not live at home. So unfortunately I had to leave college in December after finishing my christmas exams as there was no way I could pay €2500 fees.
    In June 2014 I applied for a job as a shop assisant which I was successful in and the hours suited perfect with childcare hours. I work part-time of 16 hours a week. I was then in contact with my social welfare office and they have informed me that my rent allowance would be cut down to nearly one third of what it was and my lone parents would be also cut. Then they informed me that childcare costs are not taken into consideration. Why not? I actually have ended up with less money working then not working?
    As lone parents, who does the government think minds our children when we try to go to work? My parents both work and it would nearly cost me the same to have a private babysitter.
    I could not get an education to better myself for me and my child and I could not work. The government is supose to be supporting and encourging us to come off social welfare payments not giving us no other option. There has to be something i can do?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Mac32 wrote: »
    As a lone parent I wanted to better myself by getting an education and a degree. In September 2013, I started in college doing a three year course. After two appeals with a letter from my local TD, I was denied my grant based on my parents income as I am seen as a dependent because I am under the age of 23 even though I do not live at home. So unfortunately I had to leave college in December after finishing my christmas exams as there was no way I could pay €2500 fees.
    In June 2014 I applied for a job as a shop assisant which I was successful in and the hours suited perfect with childcare hours. I work part-time of 16 hours a week. I was then in contact with my social welfare office and they have informed me that my rent allowance would be cut down to nearly one third of what it was and my lone parents would be also cut. Then they informed me that childcare costs are not taken into consideration. Why not? I actually have ended up with less money working then not working?
    As lone parents, who does the government think minds our children when we try to go to work? My parents both work and it would nearly cost me the same to have a private babysitter.
    I could not get an education to better myself for me and my child and I could not work. The government is supose to be supporting and encourging us to come off social welfare payments not giving us no other option. There has to be something i can do?

Do you have a local community creche ? There is subvention for anyone in receipt of a social welfare payment .
    Talk to your local community welfare officer as well .

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mac32

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Do you have a local community creche ? There is subvention for anyone in receipt of a social welfare payment .
    Talk to your local community welfare officer as well .

The nearest community creche is 15km outside my town so by the time i pay for the petrol to go in and out it would work out to be the same. Thanks for your reply though and i will defo be talking to my local CWO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭diveout

Unfortunately the teachers unions are so strong that we are no where closer to adapting the school schedule to move from an agricultural model where the summers are off, the school day is four - five hours a day, two weeks off at Christmas, Easter, mid term breaks.... the breaks are endless leaving parents scrambling and being financially extorted to find childcare.

It's not just the government, it's the unions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

diveout wrote: »
    Unfortunately the teachers unions are so strong that we are no where closer to adapting the school schedule to move from an agricultural model where the summers are off, the school day is four - five hours a day, two weeks off at Christmas, Easter, mid term breaks.... the breaks are endless leaving parents scrambling and being financially extorted to find childcare.

It's not just the government, it's the unions.

I'm a primary school teacher and a single mother. We are not babysitters. The issue lies with affordable childcare, the government needs to make huge changes in this area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

Mac32 wrote: »

I'm a single mother too and I understand the challenges of lone parenting. It is extremely hard doing it on your own. I know I shouldn't be encouraging this but would you qualify for the back to education allowance if you were unemployed for a certain length of time (I think it's 9 months). I know several people who purposely didn't look for work for this long and are now going back to college in September with their fees paid for.

Perhaps you should contact your local Citizens Information office, if you haven't done so already. I found them extremely helpful.

Also, if you are working, you should be claiming the One Parent Family tax credit. It makes such a difference to my pay and it's the only thing I can get.

Good luck with everything, I hope it all works out for you :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Please just report the post and let us deal with it. Neon_Lights banned from Parenting for trolling. He's gone - let's get back on topic.

[edit]I've deleted the offending post and the replies. Please please please let mods deal with things like this rather than getting into a slagging match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It's a ridiculous setup alright, but you have to try to do the best you have with what's availble.

How far away are you from age 23, when you can be assessed as an individual? Is it an unfeasible wait?

Is the relationship with your parents strained? Is there any chance of a loan from them for the fees for your course, or any assistance with rent form them? Is their room in their house for you and your child temporarily until you get a career underway?

Is the course something with a career at the end of it? There are loads of courses out there, which, while very acedmically interesting, qualify you to do zilch.

Childcare wise, are you joined cuidiu or any similar parenting group? I know there are some mothers near me who work/study part time and mind eachother's children while the other works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

Have a look at the Fas website, usually when you do a course with them you pay a nominal amount to the crèche (last year it was €25) I done a accounts technician course with them it was great I'm in full time employment and continued on studying part time.

Also have a look at plc courses you would get cets which is the same as Fas it pays crèche and you pay €25. Apply quick as they'll be doing interviews for the remaining places on the courses

Advertisement