Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IKEA on saturdays?

Options
  • 12-08-2014 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi,

Was wondering how "crazy" it is to visit IKEA on a weekend?

Where I'm from, visiting IKEA on a weekend means 2h trying to get into the parking lot and another hour to park :)

TIA!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

prq wrote: »
    Hi,

Was wondering how "crazy" it is to visit IKEA on a weekend?

Where I'm from, visiting IKEA on a weekend means 2h trying to get into the parking lot and another hour to park :)

TIA!
    Not that crazy at all. It'll be busy but you'll get around, slowest part will be at the checkouts, could be waiting 20 mins or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

It won't be that bad at all. It's right off the M50 & very easy to get to. They have tons of parking and I have never seen it even remotely half full, even at the busy times. As another poster said, the checkout lines can be quite long. The self checkouts are generally quicker than those manned by a staff member, but you can only pay with credit cards at them, not cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

It was "mental" the first few weekends but yes you'll be fine. Don't expect to park right at the door but there is ample parking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Be prepared to make an emergency dash for a breather in the cafe..

...where you'll be met with even more crowds ! Defo pick up some meatballs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

It's no more packed or hectic then any shopping destination in Dublin at the weekend.

It'll be fine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭wench

It's normally grand, particularly if you get there before about lunchtime.
    The next couple of weeks will be a bit mental though - lots of student flats to kit out :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Just try and get there earlier in the morning for your sanity!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

ethernet wrote: »
    Just try and get there earlier in the morning for your sanity!

Or later on in the evening, it's like a ghost town coming up to closing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Cianos wrote: »
    Or later on in the evening, it's like a ghost town coming up to closing time.

Was there tonight. The tils were mad at closing. Q stretching back to the stacks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Was there tonight. The tils were mad at closing. Q stretching back to the stacks

Closing time can sometimes be a nightmare up there, remember one time queuing for 35 minutes to pay as there weren't enough staff on. Other times I've seen the size of the queue and just dropped the one or two small items I had.

Quickest way to avoid it though is to use the self scanners. It's cards only but there are four scanners in each unit so the Q moves reasonably fast. The signs say max 15 items which seems to be policed in general. The last thing you want to be stuck behind in Ikea is a couple with family who are literally buying enough gear to furnish an entire house while you're standing there behind them with a candle and a chopping board !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I was there on Sunday, it was utterly horrific. Like the Hillsborough disaster.

I am still traumatised.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I was there at 10am on Sunday. Grand, tonnes of parking, flew through, got what I wanted and headed home. It was getting busy as I left. If it's raining it tends to be busier.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The last thing you want to be stuck behind in Ikea is a couple with family who are literally buying enough gear to furnish an entire house while you're standing there behind them with a candle and a chopping board !

You mean there are people who are able to go to IKEA & only leave with two items? Who are these people and what planet are they from? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 29,362 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

ProudDUB wrote: »
    You mean there are people who are able to go to IKEA & only leave with two items? Who are these people and what planet are they from? :P

I'm one! But it's not by choice.

I go there to do some serious shopping/viewing for stuff, and after about half an hour (I'm nearly able to time it) my eyes glaze over and I stumble to the market hall where my eyes glaze over even more and I come out with a cushion I didn't know I wanted and a piece of kitchen equipment I definitely don't need.

But only because you can't leave there with NOTHING :eek:

This is such a recurring pattern that I just don't go there any more.

I did leave there with nothing once. Just the once. I went in with 5 specific things on my shopping list, but I didn't get any of them for a variety of reasons - out of stock, wrong colour, wrong size etc etc. I felt as if I should have gone to Confession afterwards. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I did leave there with nothing once. Just the once. I went in with 5 specific things on my shopping list, but I didn't get any of them for a variety of reasons - out of stock, wrong colour, wrong size etc etc. I felt as if I should have gone to Confession afterwards. :o

Write to them. They sometimes say they have stuff in stock online and it's display stuff. I had the same experience, wrote to them and they sent me a voucher. (they won't accept emails, I guess the written letter will be taken more seriously than a simple email)

Thanks for the tip. It was a while ago now, so no point in making a fuss, but I'll definitely remember that in future. It really is annoying when you make the effort to go there & half of what you want to buy is taken off you at the checkout, as they are display items only and can't be sold. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jandm

That's funny - so were we! Did not think it was busy at all but while in the queue all these people appeared!!!!

Advertisement